Guidelines for Seminars

Off late, I've been finding LOTS of requests from members about seminar topics and I've often noticed a particular trend that they see a couple of topics being discussed and decide it to be their topic too. I applaud my fellow CEans who are patient enough to guide them in the right direction 😀

However, I'm providing a few pointers which MIGHT be helpful for the newbies out there who are looking for seminar topics.

Searching for a topic
1. First of all analyse your understanding in the various subjects that you have covered so far in your engineering studies. Identify the particular subject in which you have a solid foundation and you are interested to learn more. (This is important because if you want to give an impressive presentation you will be expected to explain your topic meticulously.)

2. After you decide the particular area from your curriculum, use the search engines like google to identify the latest developments in the that field. I shall demonstrate this later in an example.

3. Once you identify your topic of presentation you will be needing some material for your ppt and reports. Google is again your best bet.

filetype: ppt/pdf/doc and hit search.

This should give you a list of ppt/pdf/doc files related to your topic. Wikipedia and howstuffworks.com is another great source to start your searches.

4. If however, you make your own slides (like I do, because I'm more comfortable explaining my own slides), then follow this approach for a planned and meticulous presentation. (Although DO NOT name the slides with these headings, that would be lame ;-))

(a) Introduction
(b) Background (Where did the scope of your topic come from?)
(c) What is it?
(d) What are its components?
(e) How to create it?
(f) What are the implications?
(g) What are its applications?
(h) What is its future?
(i) references/bibliography (this is very important since you'll be taking help from a lot of sources)

E.G. I like the digital image processing subject of my 7th sem. The latest developments I found was terahertz spectroscopy (look it up). Then I searched google with the filetype😛df and it gave me a LOT of helpful links.

Making the ppt
1. Background: Use contrastive colours. If its a light background make use of darker colour fonts and for a dark background use light colours.

2. Content: Use lesser words and avoid using lengthy sentences. Make sure you use graphics and explain those. You can even show the working by those diagrams. If you are making something based on electrical or electronics, make use of circuits as they give an edge to your ppt.

3. Be creative: Place the images and circuit diagrams in a way that looks appealing. Nobody likes a cluttered slide. The more cluttered you make the slide, the more the audience will be concentrating on figuring it out rather than listening to you.

Presenting your slides
4. Be crisp and concise: Do not ramble a LOT on your slide. Give only related information and try not deviating from your topic. Judiciously divide the time being provided to you.

5. Give feasible examples: If you can suggest a practical example of what your topic is about, something which isn't to hi-fi but the audience can relate to it, then it will be a plus point.

6. During Q/A round: Listen carefully to the question asked and try identifying which slide is the question related to. You need to do ample background reading to answer queries confidently. Do NOT mug up reports or repeat what is already on the slide.

7. Oration: Be bold and loud and maintain eye contact with the audience at all times. Remember first impression is the last impression. No one likes to hear a meek voice rambling on theories (remember how you never liked specific teachers because they had no personality in class?). Look smart and feel confident and most importantly relax, the judges aren't going to tear you apart if you fumble somewhere 😛

8. Thank the audience and the judges after the end of your presentation.

Making the report
1. Stick to the format which is given by your college as lecturers are sicklers when it comes to protocols. If however, you havn't been given a format, you can use this:

1st page: Introduction with your name, branch, serial number, college logo and topic name
2nd page: Dedication (if any)
3rd page: Acknowledgement
4th page: Certificate (If this is a seminar as part of your curriculum, for tech fests this can be omitted)
5th page: List if images used in the report
6th page: List of tables used in the report
7th page: Contents of your report
8th page: Abstract of the topic
9th page: Body/ contents of the report
nth page: bibliography

2. Do not use flashy colors for the pages. Make it simple and appealing and easily readable. For best results, use the Times New Roman font at a comfortable font size. Make sure the bindings on the report are done properly. Number the pages properly for easy accessibility.

3. On the day of your presentation, you may submit a few printouts of your abstract and distribute it among the teachers and judges present. That way, they can have a little idea of what to expect in the presentation.

Well, that seems to be all I can think of at the moment. If I remember something else, I'll add it up. I hope CEans find this post helpful.
Cheers!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Way to go Smita 😀 Awesome post! I'm sure lot of CEans will find it useful.
  • smita89
    smita89
    Thanks biggie!! 😁

Ok here's another TIP CEans can use:

On the day of your presentation, along with the print out of abstracts, you can attach a feedback form so that the teachers can give their comments simultaneously as your presentation proceeds. This will give you an idea of how good or bad you were. I'm going to try this out for my 7th sem seminar tomorrow. Lets see how it goes 😀
  • lakshmana
    lakshmana
    smita89
    Off late, I've been finding LOTS of requests from members about seminar topics and I've often noticed a particular trend that they see a couple of topics being discussed and decide it to be their topic too. I applaud my fellow CEans who are patient enough to guide them in the right direction 😀

However, I'm providing a few pointers which MIGHT be helpful for the newbies out there who are looking for seminar topics.

Searching for a topic
    1. First of all analyse your understanding in the various subjects that you have covered so far in your engineering studies. Identify the particular subject in which you have a solid foundation and you are interested to learn more. (This is important because if you want to give an impressive presentation you will be expected to explain your topic meticulously.)

2. After you decide the particular area from your curriculum, use the search engines like google to identify the latest developments in the that field. I shall demonstrate this later in an example.

3. Once you identify your topic of presentation you will be needing some material for your ppt and reports. Google is again your best bet.

This should give you a list of ppt/pdf/doc files related to your topic. Wikipedia and howstuffworks.com is another great source to start your searches.

4. If however, you make your own slides (like I do, because I'm more comfortable explaining my own slides), then follow this approach for a planned and meticulous presentation. (Although DO NOT name the slides with these headings, that would be lame ;-))

(a) Introduction
    (c) What is it?
    (e) How to create it?
    (h) What is its future?
    (i) references/bibliography (this is very important since you'll be taking help from a lot of sources)

E.G. I like the digital image processing subject of my 7th sem. The latest developments I found was terahertz spectroscopy (look it up). Then I searched google with the filetype😛df and it gave me a LOT of helpful links.

Making the ppt
    1. Background: Use contrastive colours. If its a light background make use of darker colour fonts and for a dark background use light colours.

2. Content: Use lesser words and avoid using lengthy sentences. Make sure you use graphics and explain those. You can even show the working by those diagrams. If you are making something based on electrical or electronics, make use of circuits as they give an edge to your ppt.

3. Be creative: Place the images and circuit diagrams in a way that looks appealing. Nobody likes a cluttered slide. The more cluttered you make the slide, the more the audience will be concentrating on figuring it out rather than listening to you.

Presenting your slides
    4. Be crisp and concise: Do not ramble a LOT on your slide. Give only related information and try not deviating from your topic. Judiciously divide the time being provided to you.

5. Give feasible examples: If you can suggest a practical example of what your topic is about, something which isn't to hi-fi but the audience can relate to it, then it will be a plus point.

6. During Q/A round: Listen carefully to the question asked and try identifying which slide is the question related to. You need to do ample background reading to answer queries confidently. Do NOT mug up reports or repeat what is already on the slide.

7. Oration: Be bold and loud and maintain eye contact with the audience at all times. Remember first impression is the last impression. No one likes to hear a meek voice rambling on theories (remember how you never liked specific teachers because they had no personality in class?). Look smart and feel confident and most importantly relax, the judges aren't going to tear you apart if you fumble somewhere 😛

Making the report
    1. Stick to the format which is given by your college as lecturers are sicklers when it comes to protocols. If however, you havn't been given a format, you can use this:

1st page: Introduction with your name, branch, serial number, college logo and topic name
    4th page: Certificate (If this is a seminar as part of your curriculum, for tech fests this can be omitted)

2. Do not use flashy colors for the pages. Make it simple and appealing and easily readable. For best results, use the Times New Roman font at a comfortable font size. Make sure the bindings on the report are done properly. Number the pages properly for easy accessibility.

3. On the day of your presentation, you may submit a few printouts of your abstract and distribute it among the teachers and judges present. That way, they can have a little idea of what to expect in the presentation.

Well, that seems to be all I can think of at the moment. If I remember something else, I'll add it up. I hope CEans find this post helpful.
    Cheers!
    Thanks for giving wonderful suggestions
  • Surya.Cse
    Surya.Cse
    thk u fo gvng me good suggition...nd its really usefull...
  • Surya.Cse
    Surya.Cse
    smita89

Searching for a topic

(a) Introduction
    (c) What is it?
    (e) How to create it?
    (h) What is its future?

Making the ppt

Presenting your slides

Making the report

Cheers!
    its really usefull.....tnk uu

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

NAME:M.ABIRAMI EDUCATION:1st yr ENGINEERING STUDENT BRANCH:INSTRUMENTATION&CONTROL LOCATION:INDIA HOBBIE:LISTENING TO MUSIC& READING BOOKS AIM:I WANT TO BE AN EMINENT ICE STUDENT thanks pallvi for replying me immediately
Hi there, If anyone's ever used EVDO service provided by BSNL, India; please revert back with your experience and recommendations. Thanks,
I have solved the first portion of the problem. but i couldn't solve the second portion. For first portion: I found the following results- moisture concetration (composite)=0.0194 kg/kg max. mass...
hi, i am studying my b.e aeronautical... i need a quite a few good topics, so that i could successfully prepare and present my presentation...
Any one interested in paper persentation please visit the following site symposium - Powered by CO.CC If you have any query mail me on< It's a good idea to answer...