Guide to becoming a moderator on CrazyEngineers!

CEans,

CrazyEngineers is no longer a lonely place on the Internet. In our mission of uniting engineers across the world to make the world a better place to live, we are crossing new levels each day. I have been getting several requests for being the moderators of CE forums. Here is a short guide that answers most of your questions. If you have more questions, feel free to post them in this thread and I will answer them.

First of all, please understand that right now, we do not have moderators on CE forums. I, being the admin, do the moderation. However, looking at the growth of CE forums it seems that we’ll need moderators.

Let’s begin with the basics. A moderator is a member of CE forums with special rights and of course, responsibilities. A moderator can edit other’s posts, edit thread titles, move the threads & post to appropriate sections, delete posts, close threads, warn users, ban them etc.

Moderators will be ‘selected’. Following are few pointers -

• You need to be online on CE for most part of the day. This is one of the most important part of a moderator’s life. In case there is any issue, a moderator should be easily approachable through email/pm/IM etc.
  • You should have a good track record of helping people! When new members join CE, most of them are not familiar with the forum system. They make mistakes and moderators have the responsibility of making them familiar with the forums and answering their queries.
  • You should understand the forum system thoroughly! You’ll be handling questions like “How do I send a private message?” or “How do I download my private messages?” etc.
  • You should have a track record of keeping the forums clean! Many CEans report spam or obscene message through “Report Post” button available below poster’s mini-profile in threads.
  • You should have a good sense of humour, maturity and wise way of dealing with the issues. You should be friendly and easily approachable.

Q. What can I do to become a moderator (mod)?

All of the above! Keep doing a good job & do let me know that you are interested. You might be picked up to be the mod!

Q. Normally, how long does it take to become a mod?

There is no time limit as such. However, you’ll agree that it does take some time to develop trust!

Q. How much will I make if I become the mod?

This is the most exciting part. You will be paid a huge amount of $00,000 / month! (No, I did not miss any digit). The best things in life are free [period].

Got more questions? Let me know!

Replies

• just2rock
    just2rock
    thats nice ...B_k..letting all of us know wat is wat.n.....good crack..wid that $0.00000...hahaha
  • mahul
    mahul
    Well i like this place and would appreciate being of any help here, but i'm sorry to say that i can be online for only a very little time every day( and might need to be absent for a few days altogether). I know this doesn't sound good, but its better that to be honest.
  • friendster7
    friendster7
    hey i have a point to make here..

we can have moderators for a collection of section and we will have a forum moderator who can help the moderators..so the admin will have easy access to moderators through forum mod.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    friendster7
    hey i have a point to make here..

we can have moderators for a collection of section and we will have a forum moderator who can help the moderators..so the admin will have easy access to moderators through forum mod.
    Good point. Noted. [​IMG]
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I'd love to be a moderator please! 😀 but, not at the moment.. am caught up with stuff. Maybe next month or two?

Maybe we should have a secret forum only mods can access.. *evil laugh*
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looking at the speed at which we are adding members and content, CE is going to need caretakers (aka mods) soon.

CE is expanding beyond me and I guess time has come that we begin our hunt for CE's Mods.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Suprisingly I saw this thread a tab bit late. Biggie, I always thought when we will get some moderators. keep us updated on the guys or girls you think of. And if its a good idea we can also have mod's voted by the users. Or should voting be after sometime? The next set of mods.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I saw from another forum once about having "intern" moderators. Those who were interested were asked some questions (i think about what what would you do in this situation, etc) and were given trial moderator status. After a period, if they did ok, they'll be full mods 😉

I think voting is hard, since participation in forums is not as warm as we expect at the moment, haha.
  • mahul
    mahul
    I do like this idea ash, _k maybe u should actually implement this.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good idea. However, I do not think we should elect our first set of moderators through Polls.

I'll get in touch with some of you and we can work it out. I'm sure most of you will be CE's mods in the course of time. Its all matter of how fast we grow in terms of activity and numbers.

In addition, we'll be re-forming our editorial team. I'm sure most of you will like to be the part of core team that runs CrazyEngineers; helps us with articles and interviews. Watch out for announcement.
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    thats all....and all too nice
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    The most exciting part is the salary! Oh boy, I can't wait! Lmao.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Hey K, Is there any other posts then Mod.

The only problem I am facing in volunteering for Mod Post is, its not possible for me to come online daily for long time.

May be we can start with some post like... CE - mentors, where the interested persons will be easily approachable.

Your take on this...

-Crazy
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hi CrazyBoy,

The discussion on the same is in progress for a long time. We haven't yet decided upon other posts.

There could be CE - Evangelists, CE - Tech Gods, CE - Master Debater etc. We need to come up with something very soon.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    how many moderators we can afford,and wat power moderators enjoy?? I think its not that imp to be online most part of the day to be a moderator!!!...anyhow,does anyone needs a critic????
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sauravgoswami
    how many moderators we can afford,and wat power moderators enjoy?? I think its not that imp to be online most part of the day to be a moderator!!!...anyhow,does anyone needs a critic????
    How many moderators can we afford -

Number of moderators is purely a function of forum activity & growth. We'll keep on adding moderators as we grow. Earlier, it was just I, then joined Ash and now MaRo.

What powers moderators enjoy -

Moderators have a responsibility & they are the guards of the forums. Typically, moderators are able to edit/delete/move others posts, ban/unban spammers etc.

I think its not that imp to be online most part of the day to be a moderator.

Currently, we have mods from three different time zones. This helps in moderating the forums round the clock. Of course, as a mod, one needs to spend considerable time on the forums. He/she needs to be available for support & any kind of help users may want.

[​IMG]
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Cool!!....wat is next level for moderator????.....or moderator is the final stage a member can reach??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd call a 'moderator' status as a 'promotion' of a member. Moderator is a member with extra responsibilities on forums. A moderator becomes a super moderator with some extra powers.

Finally, a member may become an administrator.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Great!! well some other forum have restricted administrator status to only founding members.Hope u encourage members to take up active role,anyhow prospects r good here
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sauravgoswami
    Great!! well some other forum have restricted administrator status to only founding members.Hope u encourage members to take up active role,anyhow prospects r good here
    That's probably because an administrator has direct access to all the user data (except passwords). An administrator can make/break a forum. That's is the reason why administrator status is restricted.

I repeat: "Moderator" & "Administrator" statues are not about 'promotions'. They have a special responsibility on their shoulders. While the 'admin/mod' status might look rosy - its not. You have to be alert 24x7.

We'll soon roll out different 'special' status for our members. Note that our aim is to grow beyond an online community. While we continue to grow online - we all must make sure that we're active offline as well. There will be many roles to play - for each CEan.

[​IMG]
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Not rosy indeed. I can testify to that 😉

Its important to note that you do not become a moderator for the sake of added privileges. They are only there to help you assist your main responsibilities.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Sure they are,but if a moderator checks the member in the forum,how can we check the moderator???there are possiblities he may not perform his duties properly!!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sauravgoswami
    Sure they are,but if a moderator checks the member in the forum,how can we check the moderator???there are possiblities he may not perform his duties properly!!!!
    Okay, I'll address this.

Be assured that CE Moderators are passionate about building a better community and making things happen. They have taken up the responsibility for the love of CE & engineering.

All of us are very open to hearing from every CEan; and we do take your suggestions seriously. Please feel free to get in touch with any of us if you think we aren't doing well. It might be that we just missed out on something. We have shared our contact info in our signature.

The Big K : admin [at] crazyengineers [dot] com
    MaRo: maro [at] crazyengineers [dot] com
    Ash: ash [at] crazyengineers [dot] com

You may even send us a private message [​IMG]

I'm available on YM for a chat : crazy.engineers [at] yahoo [dot] com

That said, I repeat Ash's words: Its important to note that you do not become a moderator for the sake of added privileges. They are only there to help you assist your main responsibilities.

Don't look at moderators as the guys who ban people when they do something wrong. We have extra powers to keep the forum protected from spammers and helping members.

We'll be more than happy to hear from you about anything.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Thanks buddy,no more questions or else we will get into a debate!!I will definately get in touch with you!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sauravgoswami
    Thanks buddy,no more questions or else we will get into a debate!!I will definately get in touch with you!!!
    Oh please! 😁 We all are here to build a better community and as I said, we're all open to suggestions and feedback.

I'll be happy to answer all your questions. I'm sure MaRo, Ash, Mayur, Patty, Varun will also love to help!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    sauravgoswami
    Thats a very valid concern! As Big K said, we are all open for feedback.

Being moderators, me and MaRo understand the consequences of neglecting responsibility 😀 Please do contact us if you feel something we do is wrong. When you do, send the same message to Big K and other mods so we can keep things transparent! That will avoid the possibility of hiding problems when they are supposed to be shared.

That said, I believe the moderator selection process will be quite stringent. No passion? No commitment? No way 😉
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well becoming a moderator is quite a responsibilty,but I was not clear about your selection of moderator,anyhow,wat if a moderator/administrator wants to leave his position???can he do that
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sauravgoswami
    Well becoming a moderator is quite a responsibilty,but I was not clear about your selection of moderator,anyhow,wat if a moderator/administrator wants to leave his position???can he do that
    I'd say one must stick to being admin/mod as long as the 'passion' is there. The moment you lose the passion, there's no point in being an admin or a mod - because the job starts sucking the hell out of you. 😲
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    wat is the history of crazy engineers..how it all started,how u all maintain it!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sauravgoswami
    wat is the history of crazy engineers..how it all started,how u all maintain it!!!
    Start of CE is an interesting story. I'll write about it soon. 😀

How we maintain it? Hmm. Well could you split it in specific questions? 😀
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    who funds theis forum??and how u maintain the servers & flow of visitors???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    CE is self-funded by yours truly. The servers are in the US of A. The flow of visitors is mostly through Google searches (we're very well indexed there) ,through word-of-mouth publicity & referrals through websites & other forums that link to here.

The reason we get so much traffic is that we've some unique discussions over here and fantastic people. We need to improve on the activities though. The word of mouth has worked fantastically well for CE. I continue to receive emails saying the site is useful - from professors to students to working professionals. I'm very happy that we all are building a great community & we great things are about to follow.

Alright, I went little off track 😁 .
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    its ok!!everyone shud take pride of its creation,so how come so many indians out here,really speaking mate,in other forums there are too few active members from india
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's true. CE is an international forum! We're accessed from over 150 countries.

Majority of CEans are from India, probably because India produces a huge number of Engineers every year. Most of the Indian visitors are here to get ready-made project ideas, reports and free stuff - that's unfortunate; but its a fact. They request for a seminar topics & ideas, post their email ids and go away forever hoping that someone will send everything to their email id for free 😁

We need lot of active members to make things happen - from all parts of the world. CE's strength lies in collaboration of brilliant engineers from various parts of the world.

[Gosh, am I going off-track again? I just can talk for hours about CE you know.]
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well.. I can guess there are also lots of members from India because of the good efforts to promote CE there too 😛

I'll try to do my bit in Malaysia.. *ahem*

You know, I still fail to search for an engineering online forum in Malaysia. In fact, my uni's engineering forum came up as a near top hit, lol. But its very inactive unfortunately 😔

I'd like to promote CE there, but need to spark some activity first.. or else It'll be blatant spamming. I only just recovered my password cause I havent logged on for so long that I forgot it!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well Ash, you know what? We never did any kind of proactive advertising. The growth was purely due to word of mouth.

There was an incidence where on guy asked me to check out CrazyEngineers because he thought it's a very cool site 😁 .

We should be proud of our community - lot of engineers find it very useful!

Well, I think we need to create evangelists who'll go out and talk about CE.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    I dont think it needs any publicity at the most we can do is opeb chapters on diffrent countries,and manage member of that country through them,participation in local culture will give us a new dimension and expand our base further!!!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Well this was a fantastic discussion i read it late.

No way i never know can i be online for much time whole the day i can spare time at night from around 9 PM to 2 AM if thats possible then just we will talk on this.

And Biggie i read in one of your post you are going to introduce
    CE - Evangelists, CE - Tech Gods, CE - Master Debater where are they ?

Are they already introduced?
    😎😎
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Those titles are still on hold. Still to figure out good titles.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    CE - Evangelists, CE - Tech Gods, CE - Master Debater where are they ?

Cool titles but I have some more titles 😉

I have few more titles to add
    CE-Fighter 😁
    And how about CE-leecher ? and CE-Invisible ?(for those who are rarely seen)
    And 1 more CE-ChatterBox😁

PS: Cannot stop laughing 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This is certainly not the best thread to discuss the titles.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I want to be a mod 😀

if possible tell me 😀
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Can we know whats our Status right now and how we far from being MOD. 😁
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I too want to be a Mod.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    You are already patty , Do you wanna become mod++ or good mod like biggie (good admin) 😉
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Read the first post, fellas.
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    The_Big_K
    Q. How much will I make if I become the mod?
    This is the most exciting part. You will be paid a huge amount of $00,000 / month! (No, I did not miss any digit). The best things in life are free [period].
    Haha, I loved this the most 😁
    😁

CE now have a few mods and they all are doing great. 😀
    Great selection Big K. Thanks for all the wonderful arrangement. 😉
  • sumith123
    sumith123
    every thing is fine... except ..

The_Big_K
    You will be paid a huge amount of $00,000 / month! (No, I did not miss any digit). The best things in life are free [period].
    even if i use my free time...( i have to pay for my net connection,electricity bill,service.....etc)
    that never comes free ...would you?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sumith123
    every thing is fine... except ..

even if i use my free time...( i have to pay for my net connection,electricity bill,service.....etc)
    that never comes free ...would you?
    Mod role is taken up voluntarily and comes with extra responsibility. Its often offered to those who anyway spend lot of time on the forums helping others. That's why mods aren't paid.
  • gizmotech
    gizmotech
    The_Big_K
    Well Ash, you know what? We never did any kind of proactive advertising. The growth was purely due to word of mouth.

There was an incidence where on guy asked me to check out CrazyEngineers because he thought it's a very cool site 😁 .

We should be proud of our community - lot of engineers find it very useful!

Well, I think we need to create evangelists who'll go out and talk about CE.
    Nice to read through the thread. Is there any active campaign across cities or engineering colleges that is being done? This could certainly help.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's coming in January 2011. We need some input from CEans regarding organizing this.
  • gizmotech
    gizmotech
    The_Big_K
    It's coming in January 2011. We need some input from CEans regarding organizing this.
    Nice to hear that. Looking forward to hear the details.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I find this strange K but really want to handle this situation here If you think so I am willing cos tech discussions has become a part of my day to day activity now
  • jenilia
    jenilia
    pls..?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    jenilia
    pls..?
    Welcome to CrazyEngineers. Your question has been answered in a separate discussion: #-Link-Snipped-#

Let us know if you have questions.
  • jenilia
    jenilia
    so u elect a moderator based on their work to CE right...

so u would elect a moderator on his /her contibution to CE right....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    jenilia
    so u would elect a moderator on his /her contibution to CE right....
    Yes, that is right. The moderator responsibility is handed over to those CEans who show dedication over a sustained period of time and contribute to the overall growth of CE in one way or the other.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

:smile:Go and check all my Crazy engineers..the best Circuit RELATED SITE.wid Loads of Designs,Topics,Circuits etc.May next time you yourself can fetch what you need from here 😁 Circuit lab, diagrams,Free...
hiii frnds hw r u??? hey!! can nybody tell me ny project idea on solar energy... yaar actually i'm in last sem...so plz help me ....
hey admin..can we open a topic on e-books collection..this will help a lot i guess..i have lot of ideas which are nice for our forum..
Hi every body........... i have one quetion in my mind what is exact full form of YAHOO!?? Plz give ur suggestions?? Thanks 4 ur guidence
hello.........😁.........everyone