Guide Dots Audio Walking App On Android For The Visually Impaired

A new app called Guide Dots on Android, designed specially for the visually impaired people, combines the power of popular services such as Google Maps and Facebook Places with a crowdsourcing technology to help them in their way to different places on their own. The Android app features facility to call out locations, as well as tagging route details that can alert the user when some friends are nearby. Built with an aim to make the blind people achieve a new level of independence, the Guide Dots Audio Walking Guide app as it is named on the Google Play Store, let's the user operate it using voice commands to the smartphone.

As more and more users start installing and using this app and build the Guide Dots community, users will be empowered to access a more detailed database of localized information. Guide Dots developers want the information to grow as it aims at building a crowd-sourced map of the world. This means, the visually impaired will be able to get more useful information such as a stumbling block in their walkway or where the restroom is situated in a mall.

Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 9.11.04 AM

The Guide Dots app brings push-to-talk controls and more. Users can go from Point A to Point B and hear everything in between with Guide Dots audio notifications. The app is sponsored by the Guide Dogs Association for the Blind Singapore, a non-profit charity committed to help the visually impaired enhance their quality of life.

What do you think about the Guide Dots app? Share with us in comments below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Have a look at video to know how this app works..
  • Kanagasundaram Kuppusamy
    Kanagasundaram Kuppusamy
    Its a amazing appliction definatiely help as a guider for visually people..........

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Microsoft’s research division has found a way by which PC users can enjoy gesture commands without involving intrusive hardware. Microsoft Research’s Type-Hover-Swipe keyboard gets its motion sensing capabilities from a...
It's interesting! Boy, it surely is interesting! The government in the Netherlands has the immigration law that requires the immigrants to show proficiency in Dutch language and also have the...
Gionee has come up with yet another smartphone called the "Gionee CTRL V5" the features a 11.9 cm (4.7″) qHD Display with 960×540 pixel resolution. Powered with a 1.3 GHz...
Dear Sir/Madam, Please let me know how can i download the previous year question & answer of C-cat. And I am not finding these books online i.e 1.Data Structures Through...
Grove.io was launched with an aim to reduce the time for setting up an IRC server. Built on the IRC protocol, Grove.io allows businesses to set up their own web-based...