GRE OR IELTS - Which One Is Better?

The Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) test is to measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and critical thinking and analytical writing skills. Tests gauge undergraduate achievement in 8 specific fields of study to get admission in foreign Universities recommended by GRE board and the test is held internationally for the undergraduate students who want to study abroad for specific field of study.

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is to test English Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking to get admission in US, UK, Australia and some others Universities overseas. This test is also held internationally for the students who are desirous of study abroad.

Choosing between the two exams depends on where you want to study & what you want to study.

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I think a better comparison would be TOEFL or IELTS, as both are tests which test our English knowledge and nothing else. For some colleges, it's necessary to have both GRE and TOEFL scores when you are applying..
  • raminjpr
    raminjpr
    Yeah, As silver scorpion said, The best comparison would be TOEFL Vs IELTS, IELTS will test a person's English skills (speaking, reading, writing and listening) while the GRE exam test the person's Verbal ability and quantitative ability. It is obvious that GRE is tougher than the IELTS.
  • greenprash
    greenprash
    Doesn't GRE have technical sections as well??? I thought both GRE & TOEFL are required for admission to US...
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Your question in answered in the first post itself.
    Yes, you need to take both GRE & TOEFL for admission.
  • pvjk
    pvjk
    is ielts alone enough to get admission in UK,US and australian universities? #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# It all depends on the university and course you want to apply to.
    Many universities in UK let you take admission based on academic background and a valid IELTS score.

In US & Australia, it is generally a combination of GRE+IELTS or GRE+TOEFL.

IELTS or TOEFL are internationally recognized tests for English language certification.
    For all non English speaking country's native residents, it is 90% of the times mandatory to have a valid IELTS or TOEFL score to prove your proficiency over English language (given that it is going to be your primary medium of communication once you join the university).

GRE as you might already know is conducted to test your overall aptitude. It consists of Aptitude (maths, analytics) questions + English language questions.

If you check out GRE Subject test, there your technical subjects are included as well.
  • pvjk
    pvjk
    #-Link-Snipped-# Wikipedia says, "in present day college admission criteria, students from the commonwealth of nations are exempted from taking the TOEFL exam". So it means that Indian students need not take TOEFL exam. Is this true?
  • MOHIT HOODA
    MOHIT HOODA
    TOEFL and IELTS both are taken into consideration by many top universities such as MIT and STANFORD UNIVERSITY................admission can be granted on the basis of the scores of any of these exams by universities in USA
  • Yatesh
    Yatesh
    Is IELTS not only enough to get admission for masters in australia or canada??

Is GRE compulsory for masters?
  • Avaneendra singh
    Avaneendra singh
    Are these exam necessary to take before getting a job overseas?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Avaneendra singh
    Are these exam necessary to take before getting a job overseas?
    In most cases, you need to crack GRE. It's not a pre-requisite for a job (if you are hired by a company directly there). GRE is asked by many universities as a necessary condition with a minimum passing score. I believe it is only done to filter out the cream from the junk.

Yatesh
    Is IELTS not only enough to get admission for masters in australia or canada??
    Some European universities also seem to demand IELTS.

Can anyone here explain what is the current scenario for this?
  • goutham orton
    goutham orton

@Ankita  as we know if u r writing GRE u have to attempt TOEFL for english testing,but in IELTS it seems to comcentrate only on english what about these aptitude?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Adobe Edge HTML 5 App Download - CrazyEngineers Ford's Latest "Focus Studio" Launched Today! - CrazyEngineers Nanowire Electronics To Be Fitted To Any Shape Developed By Stanford University - CrazyEngineers...
In May 2011, Jetman achieved a beautiful and memorable flight in the Grand Canyon in Arizona, USA... and here's the official souvenir video! [video=youtube;WgdIE2t8QkM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgdIE2t8QkM[/video] In 2006, the Swiss pilot Yves...
[video=youtube;OC2TTslf_YM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC2TTslf_YM[/video] Creation of Tokyo Institute of Technology Intelligent humanoid robot capable of learning and decision-making in a real environment.
Hi, newbie here; Can anybody point me in the direction of a good tutorial on moment distribution method in a sway frame. It's the one part of structural analysis I...
Hi ...i am a final year ec student. I am in a dielama in selecting project topic...plz can u help me.