goTenna Helps You Communicate With Friends When Your Cellular Connection Fails

In the smartphone era it is not uncommon to suffer from Nomophobia or “no-mobile-phone phobia”. People get anxious about losing their mobile phone, running out of charge or credit, or not having network coverage. A few days back we discussed InkCase Plus: A E-Ink Display For Android Smartphones Gets Funded On Kickstarter and now we shall talk about a product that helps you stay in touch with your friends when your cellular operator lets you down. goTenna is small gadget that uses long-range radio waves and Bluetooth Low-Energy to let smartphones communicate with one another when they are out of network coverage. goTenna hooks up to your Android (running Android OS 4.0.3 or higher) or iOS device (running iOS 7) using Bluetooth Low-Energy and transmits text messages and location data to another goTenna using long-range radio waves. The company claims that goTennas have a range of 50 miles (80 kilometres). This range however varies depending on the terrain. goTenna can be used in situations like crowded events, trekking tours and blackouts where you are most likely to lose your cellular signal.

goTenna 1

goTenna works with its companion app that can be downloaded for free from Google Play and iTunes App Store. The smartphone app allows you to encrypt and self-destruct your messages. When you are out trekking with your friends it can point out their locations on a map and help you send broadcast messages in case of an emergency. While the company has left out the information regarding the exact capacity of the rechargeable lithium-ion battery on the technical specifications list, it says that on a single charge the battery can power a goTenna for up to 2-3 days. The company will be selling a pair of goTennas at a discounted price of $149.99 for early backers. Once the promotional offer ends, you will have to shell out twice the amount.

goTenna 2

To help you understand goTenna better, we have embedded the promotional video below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Its great!!!"
    80km range is awesome
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I second Sarath. 80km range without GSM is not a small deal. I would like to study more about the technology they have used. 😀
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    I second you that it is indeed a great device.
    However, interesting to see that howcome long-range radio waves and Bluetooth Low-Energy bases goTenna can work upto 80 Kms distance and last 2-3 days without charging.
  • lal
    lal
    Rajni Jain
    I second you that it is indeed a great device.
    However, interesting to see that howcome long-range radio waves and Bluetooth Low-Energy bases goTenna can work upto 80 Kms distance and last 2-3 days without charging.
    The good old radios used to work for many months on the same battery! With transmission included, which should not be continuous rather timely or according to the need, two days life for battery is believable. And, it has no GPS, wifi, feedback sensors or display. Above all, no hiding fancy app services.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Avishkaar Box was founded by Tarun Bhalla with an aim to get children's attention back to imagination, creativity and play. After completing his Bachelors in Computer Science from Delhi University,...
can any one tell me some mini projects to do in college.electrical dept🎉
Have anyone travelled in brts..? I want to develop a brts security system during ticket buying.Can anyone give me smart idea for developing security system for this..?
Hello CEans, My name is Shubham Gautam from Galgotia university 4th year. Interested in football and passionate about electronics and communication engineering. Expecting a great time at CE
Can anyone suggest me any good project on java..?