Google's trick , explain this if some one knows the information.

I tried this and I got few doubts guys! I dont know why is this happening!

Just try it and let me know!

Open google and enter Crazyengineers and press enter!

You get around 24300 Results!

Go to the last page , page no 32.

Now you find only 317 results..

Now click on search with ommitted results included , go to the last page -100 !!

results 991-1000 of about 23500 results.
where are the rest??

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Only Google knows. They keep on updating their own algorithms.
  • sherya mathur
    sherya mathur
    I think Google is the only super power present in the web world
    and only google knows hows it happens and what algorithm is used
    so let it leave on the google and come out from all your doubts which you have
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Google is only super power??Really :roll:
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    Yeah, they change their algorithm quite often coz of heavy competition in search arena.
    I can think of a possible explanation of that situation.
    It might be possible that google creates an array of relevant words that are common to the sites which are found by your keyword.
    After that google makes a set of pages found with the combination of an array element & the keyword. It might be possible that such a combination of the array element & keyword may found less no. of pages.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    yeah Vik but until we reach the last page it proudly claims that It had got us 24K results at last there are only 300 odd.
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    This was written on the bottom of last page of google when I tried what you have said.

In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 640 already displayed.
    If you like, you can #-Link-Snipped-#.
    Got your answer?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    No even clicking on that link posted in your quote it doesnt give all the results it said.
    It gives only 1000 odd. check my first post in that I have mentioned the number of results after clicking on the link as well.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    ES, I tried doing this after you first posted, but forgot to mention it here.

It does seem that Google only shows a maximum of 1000 results. Trying to find more (by appending the "&start=" result value in the link) will result in a message:

Sorry, Google does not serve more than 1000 results for any query
    Probably a limit Google puts to save resources, based on the chances that users do not browse more than a 1000 links per query? Google AppEngine also seems to have this 1000 query hard limit.

But checking with Yahoo and Bing, they also had 1000 as the query limit. So, is this code related? I doubt they all sat down together and said "oh, lets all limit people's search results to 1000 even though we can claim we found a million".

Interesting find, ES!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Wonderful Information Ash!

I guess those search engines believe that the result what we want will be displayed in first 2 pages itself , thus they claim some numbers!
    Its interesting to note that even yahoo and Bing does that!
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    English-Scared
    No even clicking on that link posted in your quote it doesn't give all the results it said.
    It gives only 1000 odd. check my first post in that I have mentioned the number of results after clicking on the link as well.
    Ya, I too have observed that before posting it.
    If someone searches for a keyword, he is more likely to find it at the max of 100 pages. 1000 pages are more than enough. That's good strategy to save resources to filter similar sites & limiting no. of sites.
    Its quite like common sense but not so common. 😛

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

please help me i want to do project on four way traffic light using step 7 plc so please help me on its program i done it befor on two...
CEans, I'm sure you have heard that Facebook is opening an office in Hyderabad, India. They will be hiring sales & operations people. Those who wish to apply for jobs...
i am studying in MAIT (I.P. university).I am into my second year. i want summer training after 4th semester.help me to get the training yours sincerely, ANSHUL AGGARWAL
Hi, im not sure if this is in the right fourm but i would really appriciate any help. Im a 2nd year HNC Mechanical Engineering student and have been given...
my gate score is 250 . is it possible to get into iit or iisc or anyother ? if anyother possible means , please tell about the colleges and procedures