Google's Feeling Lucky With Titan Aerospace Acquisition - More Power To The Drones!

While Facebook went on to acquire drone maker Ascenta instead of Facebook May Acquire Titan Aerospace For Internet-Beaming Drones, the latter didn't hang dry for long and dipped into the creamiest of cream next - Google. Google has confirmed its acquisition of Titan and harbors hope that their technology shall be employed in services which are more than just 'beaming internet to the remotest parts of the world'. With Titan's unmanned, solar-powered drones that can scale an altitude of 65,000 feet acting as 'atmospheric satellites' to places still to get the taste of wireless or cellular network. Now this perfectly complements Google's Project Loon : Google's Balloon Powered Global Internet agenda, where the company's experimenting with high-altitude balloons in achieving a similar purpose. Titan CEO Vern Raburn declined from providing any details on the price of the deal. The 20-people company shall remain in New Mexico for the foreseeable future, he added, with all employees joining Google.

Titan Aerospace_500_2

Though everything is still at an infancy stage, a company spokesperson stated that apart from providing internet, the drones developed shall offer their services in disaster relief and to combat environmental damage as in deforestation. Why, these drones may substantially better Google Maps even. Google finds itself involved in several crisis relief efforts - last year it helped many people affected by Oklahoma tornadoes and the Uttrakhand floods.

Key online majors are looking at drones to either push their existing business into new areas, or to enhance the quality of service presently provided. Among these include Facebook (wants to beam internet), Amazon (instant package delivery), and Google (internet access again).

Last year Google had acquired Boston Dynamics, a company that's reputed to build hi-fi science-fiction movie-like robots.

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Facebook Looking Into Buying Drone Maker Titan Aerospace • TechCrunchfacebook had been in talks to acquire the company for $60 million, google must have paid more than that for this deal.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I really don't get the reason why these companies think delivery of Internet via drones is a good deal. Why not simply invest in 5G? I sense ego issues among these companies than sensible business decisions.
  • Chintan Umarani
    Chintan Umarani
    Same kind of projects are going on since last 2-3 years but never took off at larger scale. e.g. cubesat Cubesat
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I really don't get the reason why these companies think delivery of Internet via drones is a good deal. Why not simply invest in 5G? I sense ego issues among these companies than sensible business decisions.
    One of the prime reason I can see is - the purpose of drones are not limited to delivery of internet and purpose of 5G would be pretty much limited to internet?

Make sense?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You cannot use Mobile service in place where mounting Antennas are impossible.
    Google using Balloons & Drones and Outernet Plans To Bring Free Internet For Allare trying to make internet access possible in every corner of earth.
    No ego issues on their side, IMHO.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    You cannot use Mobile service in place where mounting Antennas are impossible.
    Google using Balloons & Drones and Outernet Plans To Bring Free Internet For Allare trying to make internet access possible in every corner of earth.
    No ego issues on their side, IMHO.
    ..and what are the places where you can't put up towers? Maybe this would be a better solution: Artemis pCell : Reinventing '1000x Faster Than 4G' Wireless Revolution ?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ..and what are the places where you can't put up towers? Maybe this would be a better solution
    Oceans, Mountainy areas, deserts, countries where internet is still very costly and not everyone can afoord, etc.
    I personally believe Antennas hovering on atmosphere can iterate this problem.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi all, I found something very cool shirt out there.. Being an Engineer is a wonderful profession, creating beauty in design and solving complex problems with creativity and ingenuity. Being...
Well, don't know about others, but I always feel all this shit always pissing me off every now and then.. Have a look at this : https://theoatmeal.com/comics/computers Let me know...
It's absurd that Facebook being the biggest social networking platform does not have the option to edit a picture which is once uploaded. The problem is that once you post...
I have recently installed windows 8.1 in pc (hcl). The synoptics touchpad driver is not installed correctly. I have downloaded few other drivers but I couldn't fix this problem. Please...
See what water can do, DO you have any explanation for any of the eight trick. Lets test our engineering knowledge.