Google Will Now Provide Flood Warnings Through Public Alerts

In a novel advancement towards disaster management, Google will now be posting alerts in India through Google Public Alerts that will be accessible through Google cards, Google Maps and even Google search results. The facility will be available on both computers and mobile devices. Information regarding the flood's details will also be provided upon clicking the alert. It will be simplified through a map to show where the affected area is and a timeline to depict when the flood might subside. Additionally, tips will be given for the public to remain safe, at least in the short term.

google-alerts
The data will be gathered from the Central Water Commission, which includes river level information for as many as 170 areas of the country, where the CWC has installed active observations stations. The CWC says 7.21 million hectares of land goes underwater every year, leaving 3.78 million hectares of agricultural land destroyed and incurring heavy losses to multiple stakeholders.

The initiative seems particularly relevant after heavy rainfall and careless mismanagement rendered the Southern flank of the country, including the metropolitan city Chennai submerged in record floods in November-December last year.

Google has also been working on the Google Crisis Response, a campaign to increase awareness regarding natural disasters. This is done through the same Google Alerts; and weather reports, earthquake alerts, and public safety announcements are disseminated under the common platform.

Also noteworthy here is the Safety Check that Facebook introduced by which people could mark themselves safe through their accounts. The move ensured a degree of composure and organisation, especially in events such as the Chennai floods and the earthquake in Manipur.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi there, I'm doing final year on mechanical engineering and my project team was decided to make a Bullet proof jacket with a composite material. Before that i/we need some...
A research team from the Computational Biology department of Carnegie Mellon University have developed a machine-learning based experimental set up for analysing the effects of drugs on protein patterns. The...
Home-spawned smartphone manufacturer Lava has unveiled three budget handsets A71, A88 and X11 in India. All the phones are priced under 8k; A71 at Rs. 6,499, A88 at Rs. 5,499,...
I am a fresher and I am searching job , I attend 10 to 12 interview but i am unable to get a job so what sho
I've been hearing of the groundbreaking discovery and proof of the gravitational waves that Einstein had proposed long ago. I've absolutely no clue what these waves are and if anyone...