Google Search Results Refurbished; Banner Ads On Search Page Ditched.

Phew! I thought it was just me whose Google search results were appearing all different of late. Came to know that the search giant is experimenting with the way it displays search results, and a minor tweak reveals how it plans to cash in on the paid links from unsuspecting visitors. Till recently, the paid links were highlighted within a yellow banner, but now they're just flagged with a small yellow button below reading 'Ad'. For some users, it shall be pretty much easy with the labeling to differentiate between an ad and a regular search result, but a majority of the folks may find themselves redirected to a paid site.

google-ad

Users who ditched clicking on ads earlier won't be able to spot the faint difference, what with the paid link blending in so beautifully with the search results. Well targeted ads may be beneficial for both the visitor and the advertiser, but otherwise it's a hurdle one shall have to deal with.

goog

Google started experimenting with the search result revamp last year on mobile/tablet platforms, with bigger font size and un-underlining the links. The same is being rolled out to desktops as well to offer a consistent experience across platforms, revealed a Google spokesman.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Noticed the change here too. Like always, I like the cleaner, whiter interface.
    I think now even the Google News search results aren't clearly differentiated. But that's cool.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I want to see ads on side not on top of the results.Hate bad ads
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    They just want to keep users confusing. 'Ad' thing isn't very visible, IMHO. Expect users to click more on the ads accidentally.

Surprisingly; Google's own rules don't apply to them.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Opera has released the new Opera Mini 8 Browser for all the basic phones or Blackberry OS running smartphones. With a refreshing look and a bunch of new features, Opera...
London Centre for Nanotechnology (LCN) researchers in their study with peers from Cambridge and Oxford have observed that thin films of spin ice reveal astounding properties that could aid in...
Nikon Corporation has proudly announced the launch of their new advanced camera with Nikon 1 V3 that features interchangeable lenses. Along with that, the company has also released a new...
During latest Ubuntu Developer Summit (UDS), Mark Shuttleworth announced that Mir display server & migration of upstart init system to systemd will happen along the road to 16.04 LTS and...
Learning can basically be defined as the process of observing and collecting new information; it refers to making changes in the existing knowledge bank, improvising, experimenting and working on the...