1. Become a Developer for CrazyEngineers - Apply NOW!

Google Science Fair: 17-Year-Old Builds Neural Network To Detect Breast Cancer

Discussion in 'Engineering & Technology News' started by smriti, Jul 27, 2012.

• by smriti, Jul 27, 2012 at 1:36 AM
  • smriti

smriti Apprentice

Google Science Fair has served as an excellent platform for young minds to showcase their talent through visionary ideas aimed at making the world a better place to live. One such amazing idea came from 17-year-old Brittany Wenger to develop a global neural network based in the cloud that can assist doctors in diagnosing breast cancer.

Her idea won her the Grand Prize of $50,000 for a scholarship, a trip to the Galapagos islands, and an internship with one of the fair’s sponsors. Google Science Fair is an online<span style="color: #000000;"> </span>science competition sponsored by<span style="color: #000000;"> </span>Google<span style="color: #000000;">, </span>Lego<span style="color: #000000;">, </span>CERN<span style="color: #000000;">, </span>National Geographic and<span style="color: #000000;"> </span><em>Scientific American</em><span style="color: #000000;">. </span>

[​IMG]

&nbsp;

Artificial Neural Networks, though modeled after the human brain are capable of performing on a greater level. ANNs can detect patterns more accurately when fed with more training data. Wenger's purpose behind this whole idea was to make the breast cancer biopsies less invasive than the procedures available today.

Brittany's cloud-based neural network accepts nine different input features which are then compared to the training examples, returning results of tumor detection with a 99.11% accuracy, a laudable achievement. The neural network is deployed in cloud using Google's app engine making it readily available throughout existing medical systems, web browsers and mobile apps.

Brittany Wenger's presentation slides can be referenced here<span style="color: #000000;">.</span>

Source: Geek Image Credit: mashable

• CrazyEngineeres T-Shirts Store
  • Categories: Uncategorized

Comments

Discussion in 'Engineering & Technology News' started by smriti, Jul 27, 2012.

1. WG032: Datensparsame Zahnbürsten wollen nur spiele
    [...] Crazyengineers: Google Science Fair: 17-Year-Old Builds Neural Network To Detect Breast Cancer [...]
  2. nemewsys
    Hello, I've seen that the winner has presented a project that is even older than me, existing tons of papers around it, for example:
    http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~p88012/AI-final.pdf
    And she took her dataset from here: http://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml/datasets/Breast+Cancer+Wisconsin+(Original)

There's nothing new to this project except the attention it is getting now.

Sorry google, I was thinking on participating in this fair next year, but you lost my credibility and since i don't care about the money at all, I will not participate never.

This year there were more creative projects than the 1st winner and they where not ripped of from other's hard work like this one was, The only thing here worthy the prize is her interest for the subject, but still the other contestants are equally interested for science so...

Thank you google for destroying the credibility of this contest, luckily for you, half of the people don't even know what perceptrons are, so this contest will still look amazing for their eyes.

This is very sad indeed... Promoting the attitude of stealing other's works.