Google Play Newsstand Launched - The Combo Of Currents and Play Magazines On Android

Google has rolled out a new news-reading app called Newsstand, that offers Android users a unique place to read or browse through their favorite subscriptions - newspapers, magazines, blogs and websites. It's actually a fusion of Google Play Magazines and Currents into one app.

newsstand_google-730x415

The user's Google Currents subscriptions shall be redirected automatically to Play Newsstand. To the uninitiated, Google Currents App brought to smartphone and tablet using users reformatted content from various online sources in a portal designed as a magazine. The search giant was also seeking a way to monetize the service for publications as it reduced their ad-content.

Google writes in its official Android blog- "Staying up on the news can be a daunting task. You have to go to a different website or app for each of your favorite magazines, newspapers and blogs. One place to read and discover all of this would be a lot simpler." As per Google, the Play Newsstand at present offers over 1900 free and plaid publications which Android army may subscribe.

For users based in US, Canada, Australia and UK, the Google Play Magazines app will be upgraded to Google Play Newsstand in the coming days, while users in other countries may download the same via Play Store. The app shall be made available for iOS early-2014.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Looks simpler to use than Flipboard to me! Will have to download and check.
    For those curious, here's what's already on the Google NewsStand -
    • Newspaper Subscriptions: The Australian, The Financial Times, Los Angeles Times, The National Post, The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal.
    • Magazines: Better Homes & Gardens, The Economist, Esquire, Fast Company, Forbes, Game Informer, The New Yorker, Rolling Stone, Shape, TIME, Vanity Fair and WIRED
    • Blogs: Apartment Therapy, Colossal, Cool Hunting, Flavorpill, Saveur Daily, TMZ
    • News sites: ABC News, The Atlantic, CBS Sports, CNET, The Daily Beast, Huffington Post, The Guardian, NPR, Reuters, The Telegraph
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    And they installed that Play magzine thing without me asking to do so... Are they force installing or should I suspect a ignorant confirm from me, though chances for that would be very rare.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Huawei has updated its Ascend series of smartphones with the launch of a new Windows 8 OS gadget called the Huawei Ascend W2. The smartphone features a 4.3-inch screen with...
Take a minute. Look around you. Analyse. Home appliances, vehicles, your body, etc. Everything has some factor in common - the burning/reaction of one form of energy to make it...
For most machinery and equipment owners, the question is not if to "Value Engineer" but only when to and they wait for engineers or users to ask for it. However,...
Hi friends, i am finding a topic for my final year project(mech.) in FEA & stress analysis so if u have any topic please suggest me.
Raspberry Pi will soon have newly launched Wolfram Language as standard system software. The Wolfram Language, which was announced by Stephen Wolfram about a week ago as 'something very big'...