Google Patents ‘Pay Per Gaze’ Technology

Money spent on advertising tends to go to waste if it does not reach the targeted audience. Online advertising is one of the best examples where this problem looms at large, thanks to the arrival of Ad Blocking browser add-ons and their extensive blacklists almost all adverts tend to get blocked. This has raised a problem for websites whose revenue comes from advertisements, and Google being one of such companies has taken a pragmatic approach to this problem and has patented a technology that tracks the user’s pupils to check whether the ads have been viewed or not. The pay-per-gaze advertising #-Link-Snipped-# was filed in the year 2011 and the records were made public last week.

Google Patent

The patent application talks about a head mounted device that tracks the movements of the user’s pupils and time taken to read the advertisement to make sure that the person has actually viewed the advert and it charges fees depending on the number of hits. The system also records the emotional reaction of the audience by checking whether the subject’s pupils have dilated or not. The system will not just be limited online but will also work for billboards, newspapers and magazines. Since Google always displays adverts depending on the user’s interests, this system also follows the same policy and makes sure that the keywords on which the user spends most time are reflected in future adverts. The most interesting fact about this patent is that it mentions the use of a head-mounted device, but never mentions the words ‘Google Glass’.

As this news sparks debates among privacy crusaders worldwide, we would like to point out that Google shall be storing this information anonymously without user credentials and as it is with all patents this one is just an idea and its implementation in the real world is still uncertain.

Source: Google patents 'pay-per-gaze' eye-tracking that could measure emotional response to real-world ads - The Verge

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I think it is a repeated topic? We should merge it I guess. Anyways, according to me, this is unacceptable. It is invading others privacy. They can actually spy on you in the name of your advertisement activity.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Let me throw you a question.Do you think all people prefer google glass?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    CSK AUTO
    Let me throw you a question.Do you think all people prefer google glass?
    It is not onlyfor Google Glass. it is intended to work as gaze authenticator which will be an independant device. Glass seems to be best deployment
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Nayan Goenka
    It is not onlyfor Google Glass. it is intended to work as gaze authenticator which will be an independant device. Glass seems to be best deployment
    So only people who were wearing google glass can be monitered?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    CSK AUTO
    So only people who were wearing google glass can be monitered?
    Right now, yes. But they are coming up with similar devices too. Glass is not affordable for everyone. And i think they will develop application on web cameras also. That is feasible too
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Now they will know where you are looking at 😘👀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

While you are saving up for your 4K UHD TV, Korea's KT Skylife has already tested satellite-based broadcasting for UHD TVs. The service is now ready for its grand rollout...
Intex technologies has launched two 3G smartphones in Indian markets for the budget cautious customers - the Cloud X4 priced at Rs. 4590 and Cloud Y2 at Rs. 6190. Both...
hi friend.m a b.tech cs graduate 2013 batch. this year market is very slow so no bigger cmpny cm to clg.i got recruiterd in a small scale cmpny which works...
While configuring the routers, i came across some of the commands where we use wildcard masks instead of subnet mask, so what is the use of using wildcard mask when...
Samsung knows India is an important market for their galaxy series of smartphones, tablets and phablets. According to a latest leak from Sammobile, the Samsung Galaxy Note III will be...