Google I/O RoundUp: Google+ Becomes Auto-Awesome

Oh, yeah. That's a word. Among many wonderful developments and enhancements that Google announced for its products today, Google+ enjoyed a major share of it. First things first, Google informs us that 190 million users are currently active on Google+, since 2 years of launching of the social networking site, even though "active" seems to be subjective here. In any case, they have got the number, all they need is to pull them in. Vic Gundotra, Vice President of Engineering at Google, says that the company is building a “smart” social network that will be driven by algorithms like semantic analysis, image recognition technology and machine learning.

Goole Stream Layout

Users can also expect a new stream layout, a multi-column design that supports dynamic content. The layout is designed keeping in mind the multi-platform accessibility and the only significant change that you'll come across while switching from your computer to a smartphone will be the number of columns you see on the page. Also arriving is the automatic hashtag, which will be clickable, just like on Twitter. Elaborating on the "automatic" feature, Google will scan your post, as well as photos, to recognize the topic you are referring to, and make a hashtag out of it. For example, if you mention Michael Jordan, by the time you post your status, Google would have already made a hashtag out of it. With pictures, say of the Eiffel Tower, Google attempts to recognize the object of interest and tags it, in this case, with the Eiffel Tower hashtag. You can, of course, choose to remove the hashtag if you do not approve of it.

Full Size images

Also introducing, among other features, is the new photo-sharing tool. Google+ will automatically pick out the best photos from the in-numerous you took on a trip or a vacation. By mapping out your relationship with other users, it can prioritize the photos of friends and family over others. Furthermore, Google allows you to edit your photos in a fashionable number of ways. Google's Instant Upload is now called Auto Back Up, with the cloud upping its storage space from 5GB to 15GB for full-size images and unlimited storage for "standard" photos (up to 2048px). Auto Highlight sorts duplicates and makes up for blurry and poorly/overly exposed images. Auto Enhance tool works with brightness, contrast, saturation, noise, focus. And Auto Awesome creates a GIF of your "burst" images. Awesome! A mish-mash of Google Talk and Hangouts is on the way, which will be called Hangouts. It's a messaging service that will replace Google Chat, Google+ Messenger, and the original Google+ Hangout video chat service. There are 850 emoji to choose from but you'll probably go for photo-sharing. Conversations get saved in the cloud and video calls would support a total of 10 friends. The app is multi-platform and will be launched for iOS devices, Android, and on the desktop later today.

slide

Source: 41 new Google+ features announced at Google I/O | Digital Trends

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I got new google layout, It is surely fresh but little distracting. They should give little more options to view in 2 coloums also. without any ads it looks awesome.
    New layout is like if you have added all your personalized stuffs from internet you don't have to go anywhere else.
  • lal
    lal
    Auto Enhance tool works with brightness, contrast, saturation, noise, focus
    I wonder how the focus enhancement would work! Definitely an 'out of focus' image can't be brought to focus unless you got a time machine to go back and re-create the scene to focus and snap again 😁
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    I got the new layout too, let's see What more it got... 😀
  • lal
    lal
    Well. I liked the new layout though it looks clutterd! 😐

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Polaris India recently announced division of its business into two entities: servies & products, each one gettings its own chief executive officer. The company saw flat growth in the last...
If you're done waiting for the official launch, here's the news that will cheer you up. Google fans, now you can pre-order the Google Nexus 4 smartphone from Flipkart at...
Purdue’s College of Engineering offers full online master’s degrees in - Aerospace (MSAAE), Industrial (MSIE), Electrical (MSECE), Mechanical (MSME), Dual MBA and MSE, Biomedical Engineering (MSE), Engineering Management (MSE) and...
I think it started when Apple made a big deal about Siri - the natural voice processing software. Since the many electronic giants have followed the trend and have announced...
Panasonic India has today launched its new 'out of the world' smartphone called the Panasonic P51 at Rs. 26,900/-. If you're someone who keeps an eye for the gadget-related news,...