Google Fit May Compete With Apple HealthKit and Samsung S.A.M.I.

If you thought that every other tech giant now seems eager to track your health, hold on to your hats. Guess who might just foray into this business? It's none other than our very own Google. Forbes has reported that Google might be talking to developers regarding the Google Fit project in the Google I/O Conference scheduled later this month. Google Fit would allow a wearable device that measures data like steps or heart rate to interface with Google’s cloud-based services, and become part of the Google Fit ecosystem.
The arena of health tracking is not entirely new to Google. It had dabbled in this area with their Google Health platform. Google Health was a personal health data aggregation portal which was shut down in 2012 due to lack of widespread adoption. According to Derek Newell, CEO of digital health care platform Jiff, one of the reasons Google Health failed was that it gave no meaning or any sort of feedback on the health data.
googlefit
Google Fit will aggregate data through open APIs, instruction sets that allow apps to share information, and will also announce partnerships with wearable device makers at its I/O conference. It may be bundled with the Android Wear, the Android OS for wearables. With this, Google joins the health-tracking wearables bandwagon alongside other giants like Apple (Apple HealthKit), Samsung (Samsung Simband and S.A.M.I.) and Microsoft (Microsoft Smartwatch and Microsoft HealthVault) among others.

With no shortage of big players and startups aimed at tracking their user's health. It is safe to say that the era of wearable gadgets has arrived.

Source: Exclusive: Google Wants To Collect Your Health Data With 'Google Fit'

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This post is intentionally edited for personal reasons! 😔😖
how to become good computer science engineers. learning more and more languages or becoming good in some.
The next in the line of our popular weekend debate is scheduled on June 15, 2014 at 7:00 PM (IST). The debate is open to all the CEans! Read the...
Just a quick poll to see how our fellow CEans are reacting to the new design of CrazyEngineers. Now that sufficient time has passed since we rolled out the new...
Why not make Crazyengineers.com Open source?