Google Fiber To Create Free Wi-Fi Zones At Indian Railway Stations

Google Fiber is tying up with Indian Railways for a new project, named 'Project Nilgiri' to create free wi-fi zones at about 400 railway stations pan India. The phase-I of the project involves setting up of all the required infrastructure in the span of about 4 months. Once ready, the Internet service will be provided free of cost to the passengers. Those who want to use the Internet will have to authenticate themselves through their mobile number.

Google will send one time password (OTP) via SMS to the requester. This password will have to be entered on the authentication portal which will then allow about 30 minutes of Internet usage at high speed. Post first 30 minutes of usage, the speed will drop but the user will be able to use the connection, informs TelecomTalk.

This mechanism of offering Internet is not very new and in fact, followed by several airports in India and around the world. Oxygen and MTS have been offering similar service at railway stations and metro stations but with a limited reach. Google Fiber's entry into this segment will definitely be a game changer.

Google-Fiber-Free-Wi-Fi-Railway-Station

The phase-II of the project is even more exciting. We learn that Google will offer Wi-Fi services in the moving trains throughout majority of rail routes in India. Google is reportedly working with Railtel - a public sector unit that is setting up optic fiber network along the railway tracks to connect the urban as well as rural regions throughout India.

We've known Google Fiber for their super-fast 1 Gbps fiber lines in the United States and have been hearing the news that Google's planning to launch Google Fiber in India. Google and Indian Railways joining hands to offer Wi-Fi services to passengers is definitely a move we all look forward to.

Source: Exclusive: Google to provide Wi-Fi hotspot connectivity at 400+ railway stations across India | TelecomTalk

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Pleasure to hear this initiative . Will wait for reality of googles fiber project
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    more excited, and waiting to use the free wifi service

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Rahul Yadav is setting up a new startup in the data analytics and visualization domain, I'm reading on multiple resources on the Internet. The startup, which has not been announced...
Co-founded by Sonny Vu, Sridhar Iyengar and John Sculley (Former Apple CEO), Misfit is the hardware company that has been steadily launching wearables and smart home devices since 2013. At...
I am planning to purchase a cool laptop skin/decal. I would like to know from anyone who have ever used it before, that whether using it damages the original plastic...
How many of us who are into or want to pursue Industrial Engineering, have little or NO idea what its about? I graduated with a Masters in IE (here's my...
After hitting the entry level segment with the Yu Yunique just this week, Micromax strikes the mid-range market with an Android Lollipop smartphone that is powered by a massive 4000mAh...