Google Extends Its 'Billion Dollar Arm' To Acquire Videogame-Streaming Company Twitch

Google's reportedly seeking a bigger share in the videogame-streaming pie with the acquisition of Twitch, a San Fransisco-based enterprise which offers a similar service. Variety reported that 'sources familiar with the project' estimate the deal to cost $1 billion, and the service shall then be incorporated into YouTube. Both companies so far have declined to comment on this development.

Started by Justin Kan and Emmett Shear in June 2011, Twitch allows users to broadcast and watch free LIVE game-play videos streaming from Playstation 4 and Microsoft Xbox consoles. This company enjoys over million monthly users, with nearly a million registered members uploading videos every month. The startup raised $20 million funding from investors, including the GTA game publisher Take-Two Interactive, among others.

Youtube-twitch

The talks are at an infancy stage, and the deal isn't imminent. If the deal does materialize, it would be the biggest for YouTube since its time with Google in 2006. Reportedly, Twitch has already declined other lucrative offers (including one from Microsoft) for Google.

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    It is a win-win situation for both You tube and Twitch.

Twitch will help You tube in growing its market with its awesome video library of game play, and cash rich Google with enable Twitch (a start-up) to spend more on the innovations.

Meanwhile, if someone say if the deal will be signed off, let me remind you it happens very rarely that Google eye on something and did not get that.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We are looking for a uni graphics - NX designer for an upcoming project. Interested candidates can drop your CV on gautam.vadnere@xyntech.in Below are the job details - Unigraphics Designer...
I m b.tech computer science student. I am about to complete my 3rd year. I am supposed to do 45 days summer internship. I want to do it in java...
i have recently join this site .. how can we contact a fellow user... how can we write on someone's wall..?
I'm describing here my design and construction project of a simple tool for basic cryosurgery - limited to freezing superficial skin lesions such as verrucas and warts etc - and...
It has been only a few weeks since Yahoo first launched its Mail app for iPhone users. Now Yahoo Mail app is officially here on the Android platform. Ever since...