Google Chrome 35 Drops Support For NPAPI Architecture Based Third Party Plugins

A few days ago, new stable iteration of Google Chrome 35 and Chromium 35 was released that included many new features such as migration from GTK +2 to AURA, App-Launcher and new notifications-center. With release of Chrome/Chromium 35, the browser bids farewell to the third party plugins that are based on NPAPI architecture like Silverlight (via Pipelight), Java, VLC, etc.

Slide1
Most of the security related problems, hangs & crashes are mainly due to these third party plugins which is why Google have decided to drop its support from latest version onwards. This update has been rolled out for all platforms. Google Chrome still supports the Chrome PDF Viewer and the Flash Player Plugin, but you can no longer use Java plugin, VLC plugin which allowed users to play media from the browser and the great Pipelight with which user can access content in MS Silverlight from the Chrome Browser, which means you can't install Netflix on Chrome.

These third party plugins in Chrome/Chromium have been permanently removed and there is no possible workaround to reactivate it. The only solution to this problem comes from an second best browser in the world - Mozilla Firefox, which still supports third party NPAPI architecture plugins.

Are you going to switch to other web browsers because of this ? Do share your opinion on this move by Google.
Source : Chromium Blog: Update on NPAPI Deprecation

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    This might affect to those who are hard-core user of third party plugins. But I think they should allow thirdparty plugins as there are thousands of user who are using different kind of plugins on regular bases.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    From the comments on the Chromium blog, a lot of people look dissatisfied or sad because of the Google's move.

I rarely use Google Chrome plugins, but will this make you move to Firefox? 😒

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How to take part in discussion and more importantly some introduction please
I've been trying to download the public beta (non-developer) license of OSX Yosemite, which Apple announced just a few hours ago at WWDC 2014. Apple said that the preview will...
The next time you fall sick and need a thermometer to measure the temperature you will be able to tell it 3 times more accurately than what the best thermometers...
I'm wondering which iMac and Macbook machines will be able to run the OSX Yosemite. Given that the major improvements are on the GUI front and the new features may...
A little bit about myself. I currently work as an engineer for the Illinois Department of Transportation. Graduated college back in 06, went into law enforcement, quit that after a...