Google Brings Touch and Gesture Interaction On Your Clothes With Project Jacquard

The brilliant minds behind Motorola Project Ara Is Here For Doing To Hardware What Android Did To Software modular smartphone and 3D mapping initiative Google Reveals Developer Edition Tablet For Its 3D Mapping Initiative Project Tango have announced their new project that aims to put a trackpad on your clothes some day. Google's Advanced Technologies and Projects (ATAP) division took the covers off Project Jacquard on the second day of Google I/O 2015. With Project Jacquard it is now possible to weave regular and conductive fabric into a single piece of textile. The Jacquard yarn combines metallic alloys with all kinds of fabric such as cotton, polyester and silk. Google claims that the new fabric produced by combining these different materials is durable enough to be woven on any industrial yarn making it easier to mass-produce clothes with touch and gesture capabilities that can be used to control smartphones, tablets and PCs.

Project Jacquard 1
Project Jacquard 2 Project Jacquard 3

Textile manufacturers can scale Project Jacquard to any level they want. They can either weave touch and gesture-sensitive panels on a certain portion of the apparel or make the entire dress touch-sensitive. While the weaving part was a cakewalk for Google, it had to put in more effort in developing the electronic components that assist the functioning of Jacquard fabric. The company has developed tiny button-sized circuits and connectors that attach with the conductive fabric of clothes very discreetly. These circuits have been programmed with machine-learning algorithms that help them recognise different gestures drawn on them. These conductive surfaces use low-power Wi-Fi to communicate with devices. This is the same Wi-Fi Backscatter Technology Connects Battery-Free Devices To Internet that is used to power devices devoid of batteries.

Project Jacquard 5
Project Jacquard 6 Project Jacquard 7

The folks over at #-Link-Snipped-# were able to try out the product in its prototype stage at the Google I/O conference. Conductive fabric that was spread across a table was able to perform tasks such as turning on lights and controlling media players. Google admitted that in its present state Project Jacquard fabrics only work on flat surfaces. They aren’t flexible enough to be woven into the actual clothes we wear on a day-to-day basis. The company says it is working tirelessly to refine this technology with the help of partners from the apparel industry. To learn more about this development, visit the #-Link-Snipped-# website and have a look at the video presentation below.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Kunal Bahl, CEO of SnapDeal said that India does not have the quality programmer it needs. Bahl's statement which he made in an interview with WSJ caused a lot of...
Remember MIT’s terrifying quadruped robot Cheetah? Well its creators have given it a new capability that makes it the only robot in the world that can run and jump obstacles...
A team of researchers at MIT has invented tiny robots that are self-destructive and capable of crawling up a person's arm, climbing up ropes and can carry loads twice their...
The Indian mobile manufacturer, Intex has launched a new Cloud series smartphone- Cloud Power+. The smartphone is priced at INR 8,599 and will be available online exclusively via Snapdeal. Much...
hello sir i am shaik mohammad ali .i am 2015 passed out fresher of cse background btech with an aggregate of 62% and i want to be settled in testing...