Given the limited land available in Singapore is it wise to set aside some areas as nature reserves?

I recently visited Singapore and found that the topic of limited land is a growing concern in the country. The country is rightfully called 'garden city' as you see most areas are covered with trees and grass growing on well-maintained landscapes.
The country now has very limited land and the explosive growth it is experiencing in terms of new industries and infrastructure development is phenomenal.

The National Botanical garden that I visited is called 'World Heritage Site'. However, I heard there are people who believe setting aside such areas for nature reserves (wildlife, forests etc.) is not a wise idea owing to the limited land available for constructing houses and other necessary facilities.

Wanted to know what you all think about the situation.

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I've visited the Botanical garden also and can't stress enough on important it is to maintain these kind of places. These areas have become places where nature can thrive, species be preserved and people can enjoy the green for physical and mental well being.

I believe with land restrictions, building design innovations can come into play. Good public transportation can reduce the need for more highways.

Besides, if Singapore businesses want to expand their offices or factories, they can do so at Iskandar Region in Johor, Malaysia (where there is already a significant amount of Singapore investment).
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I've heard a lot about Singapore and its cleanliness. The fact that people should understand and NEVER underestimate is that we're all ULTIMATELY Human (Homo Sapiens) would go down to the same earth. We've to keep the Integrity of our location in some natural form as well. Otherwise years from now our future generations are bound to curse us for taking away the RAW beauty of nature from them!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, What is the difference between an external and an internal virtual circuit connection? Kindly enlighten me in context to X.25 and circuit switching.
Existing techniques to date rocks on Earth are not feasible to be applied in a spacecraft because they require sophisticated sample preparation. Therefore, a team of space engineers led by...
hello, right now i was studing b.tech 3rd year[mechanical branch].so , i want learn different types of software like pro-E,cad-cam,unigraphics.....etc.so, please help me which type of software i have to...
It was 11th june when i started and went to yuvajobs the first day i was thinking there will be a lot employees and interns in the company but all...
The Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi has launched a new set of Mi Headphones and Mi Earphones in India. Priced at Rs. 5499 and Rs. 999 respectively, the new gadgets will...