GIS Project Ideas topics Collection For Engineering Students - 2023

GIS Project Ideas topics Collection For Engineering Students - 2023

GIS or Geographic or Geospatial information system is a rapidly growing field. Research on this topic is at its peak and students are opting for GIS projects in their third and final year. Students in Computer Science and IT branches develop GI Systems to capture, store, manipulate, analyze, manage, and present all types of geographical data.

As a project, students can develop a GIS application or tool that allow users to create interactive queries (user-created searches), analyze spatial information, edit data in maps, and present the results of all these operations.

For example here are some projects from Carnegie Institute -

Carnegie Museum of Natural History Pennsylvania Unconventional Natural Gas Wells Geodatabase

How many Marcellus Shale gas wells are drilled in Pennsylvania? In reality, this is a difficult question to answer. The GIS lab is seeking to figure this out and use the data for multiple projects. Information on well permits, when wells were drilled, how much natural gas is being produced, and violations will be included in the geodataset.

Regional Macroinvertebrate Stream Survey

Certain macroinvertebrate communities in streams are indicators of stream health. Utilizing GIS will help us develop a comprehensive dataset to continually monitor macroinvertebrate communities in our region. As Marcellus shale gas wells continue to develop in Pennsylvania, water resource protection will continue to be an important issue for the residents of our region.

Powdermill Nature Reserve: The Changing Landscape

Aerial photos are an important source for maps and geodatasets. By observing historical aerial photos, we can gain insight of the changes to the local ecosystems of Powdermill. This project will provide high-quality aerial imagery over time and allow us to use the imagery to delineate historically forested and un-forested areas from as early as 1939.

Ligonier Landowners Map

Our neighbors are an important part of the life of Powdermill. This map will help landowners in the Ligonier area understand the local economic and environmental impacts that the Marcellus shale gas drilling industry could bring to the region.

New Public Trail and Canopy Walk Planning Analysis

Do you like the idea of having more hiking options at Powdermill Nature Reserve? We do, too! So we are in the process of determining new areas for trail development.

Comparing Vegetation Ground Surveys with Remotely Sensed Data to Measure Forest Succession (Proposed)

During the summers of 2006–2008, Powdermill completed an extensive vegetation survey from field observations. Remote sensing techniques can also be used to quantify vegetative land cover. By using the ground observations already collected, we hope to determine the effectiveness and accuracy of remotely sensed data to quantify not only the present species, but also to estimate measures of tree height, diameter, and density.

Vegetation Survey

A detailed vegetation survey was completed for more than 4,600 forested plots and 800 plots in maintained fields. More than twenty permanent vegetation monitoring plots have been established. This dataset provides Powdermill with an extremely detailed vegetation baseline upon which future research can build.

Louisiana Waterthrush Stream Survey

The GIS Lab produced a large-scale GIS dataset of Powdermill streams for this collaborative project with the National Aviary.

Golden Eagle Project

The GIS lab was a key partner in a study of golden and bald eagles in eastern North America. The project studied the migration of eagles along mountain ridges where there is potential conflict with installation of wind energy turbines.

Esri Geoportal Server

Esri Geoportal Server is a free open source product that enables discovery and use of geospatial resources including datasets, rasters, and Web services. It helps organizations manage and publish metadata for their geospatial resources to let users discover and connect to those resources. The Geoportal Server supports standards-based clearinghouse and metadata discovery applications.

ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap

ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap is an ArcGIS add-on that allows ArcGIS users to download data from OpenStreetMap, store it locally in a geodatabase, and use the advanced editing environment of ArcGIS for Desktop 10 to create, modify, or delete data. Once the edits are complete, the changes can be posted back to OpenStreetMap and made available to the OpenStreetMap community. It was released under the Microsoft Public License (Ms-PL) and is available on CodePlex.

Esri ArcGIS Silverlight Toolkit

This project contains the source code and libraries for the Esri ArcGIS Silverlight Toolkit SDK. The library is an extension of the ArcGIS API for Microsoft Silverlight/WPF. Included are a number of controls, widgets, and tools that you can use to enhance your Web applications. It was released under the Microsoft Public License (Ms-PL) and is available on CodePlex.

ArcGIS API Lite for Flex

This is a new Open Source code project available from Esri on GitHub. It is built as a wrapper around the ArcGIS API for Flex. It is a simple API targeted at those who are new to GIS and/or Esri, enabling you to embed mapping capabilities into Flex projects.

Update: Adding a few more ideas for the benefit of readers-

Title: Urban Heat Island Mapping and Analysis

Summary: This project involves mapping urban heat islands in a city and investigating their impact on local climate and energy consumption. Students would collect data on temperature, building materials, and land use, then use GIS to visualize and analyze the data. This project could help urban planners design cities that are more resilient to heat waves and climate change.

Title: Predictive Modeling for Natural Disasters

Summary: In this project, students can create predictive models for natural disasters such as wildfires, floods, or earthquakes using GIS. These models can be used to determine high-risk areas and help authorities better prepare for and respond to disasters. Students would need to gather historical data about previous incidents and other relevant factors, such as vegetation, climate, and geology.

Title: Optimizing Public Transportation Routes

Summary: Students can use GIS to optimize public transportation routes. This project could involve mapping existing routes and analyzing factors such as traffic, population density, and points of interest. The goal would be to suggest improvements that increase efficiency, reduce travel times, and improve service for riders.

Title: Analysis and Visualization of COVID-19 Spread

Summary: This project involves mapping the spread of COVID-19 in a particular region or worldwide. Students would collect data on confirmed cases, deaths, recoveries, and vaccination rates, then use GIS to create visualizations that reveal patterns and trends. This project could contribute to our understanding of the disease and aid in future pandemic response planning.

Title: Crime Analysis and Prediction for Urban Safety

Summary: Students can use GIS to map and analyze crime patterns in a city. This could involve visualizing data on different types of crime, their frequency, and their location. Using these data, students can develop predictive models to identify potential crime hotspots. The project could help law enforcement agencies allocate their resources more effectively.

Title: Land Use/Land Cover Change Detection

This project involves the use of GIS and remote sensing techniques to monitor and analyze changes in land use/land cover over a specific period. Students will need to process and analyze satellite imagery data at different time points to track and understand changes, such as urban expansion, deforestation, changes in agricultural areas, etc. The study could provide valuable insights for sustainable planning and natural resource management.

Title: Wildlife Habitat Mapping and Conservation Planning

In this project, students can utilize GIS to map wildlife habitats and identify potential areas for conservation. The project could involve tracking animal migration patterns, identifying key habitats, and assessing the impacts of human activities on these habitats. The findings can contribute to the development of more effective wildlife conservation strategies and policies.

Title: Spatial Analysis of Soil Erosion and Conservation

Students can use GIS to analyze soil erosion patterns and devise conservation strategies. This project may require them to collect data on soil types, vegetation, topography, and rainfall, then use GIS to map areas at risk of soil erosion. The output can provide valuable insights for farmers, environmentalists, and policy makers on how to prevent soil degradation and promote sustainable agriculture.

Title: Analysis of Access to Healthcare Facilities

This project involves using GIS to map and analyze access to healthcare facilities in a particular region or city. Students will need to collect data on the locations of healthcare facilities, their services, and population demographics. Using GIS, they can visualize healthcare accessibility, identify underserved areas, and provide recommendations for improving healthcare provision.

Title: Water Resource Management

In this project, students can utilize GIS for mapping and monitoring water resources like rivers, lakes, groundwater, etc. They can also analyze factors affecting water quality such as pollution sources, land use patterns, and climate factors. The project could help in planning for sustainable water management, pollution control, and mitigation strategies.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need a few more project ideas.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here are some more ideas -

1. With open source softwares like QGIS and MapWindowGIS, users can always implement new features. So, you can develop a plugin for any open-source GIS

2. Implementing GIS for the NGOs, which need location specific data. Contacting local NGOs can help.

3. GIS Based Vehicle Tracking System is one good project. Using GPS receivers, you can develop an efficient system that gives walking directions, bus travel routes, sightseeing, navigation for the blind etc.

4. GIS For College Campus - You can develop a web-accessible campus information system that shows the campus buildings in 3D, use satellite imagery via an API and overlay data about the campus. Students and Administration both will be benefited by such a system.

5. Research projects for GIS are also possible. Using Green and Sustainable technologies that use wind power or solar energy can be worked out for remote Sensing research.
    For example, analysing wind data to find best locations for wind turbines or using remote sensing images to detect climate change.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here are some links to GIS Based Applications already implemented, you can go through them and find your own project ideas -

Climate: #-Link-Snipped-#
    River Forecasting Center: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Glacier Mapping: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Canadian Census: #-Link-Snipped-#
    First Nation Network: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Municipal mapping
    Health: SpatialHydrology.com - Homepage - Welcome!
    Crime: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Asset management: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Agriculture: #-Link-Snipped-#
    General and human impact: Geography Network Canada
    Visualization
    Genesys II: Geomantics
    Viewscape 3d: #-Link-Snipped-#
    World Construction Set: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Virtual Terrain project: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Forest pest mapping and management
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Forest /vegetation Inventory and Management
    BEC: #-Link-Snipped-#
    PEM: #-Link-Snipped-#
    VRI: #-Link-Snipped-#
    BC Watersheds atlas
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Local project ( Columbia Mountains )
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Hydrology
    SpatialHydrology.com - Homepage - Welcome!
    Hazards
    Switzerland : #-Link-Snipped-#
    Austria : #-Link-Snipped-#
    Slope stability (SINMAP): #-Link-Snipped-#
    Soils (BC)
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Wildlife habitat management
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Africa : #-Link-Snipped-#
    Online mapping
    Ministry of Sustainable Resource Mgmt (TRIM II +): #-Link-Snipped-#
    Ministry of Energy and Mines (TRIM I+): #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Balaji Puthiran
    Balaji Puthiran
    hai,
    i am A.Balaji.i am doing 3rd year Computer Science & Engineering..i need to GIS Based Projects for developing(or)Construct
    Mapping projects ideas,how i am start my project what are requirements are i am gathering,and as well as how can i work in this
    projects for My Fields like Computer Science & Engg related using Programming Code.please tell me such as valuable ideas and how
    i am work this project.because i love very much GIS.This is My Career also
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Did you go through the many ideas presented above? If you have any queries about any one of the GIS based project ideas, ask them below. We will try our best to help you out in case of a genuine question.
  • zarif
    zarif
    hai,
    i am Zarif.i am from Afghanistan .i am doing 4rd year Computer Science & Engineering..i need to GIS Based Projects for developing(or)Construct in final project year
    i want to work on GIS For College Campus project i want to help me please slove my big problem tanks alot
  • Balaji Puthiran
    Balaji Puthiran
    #-Link-Snipped-#.Thanks for your valuable ideas.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Balaji Baaji Puthiran
    #-Link-Snipped-#.Thanks for your valuable ideas.
    Good to know that they are helpful to you.
    Want to see more ideas and suggestions here. Let's build a mega repository of GIS based project ideas.
  • muk1512
    muk1512
    Ankita Katdare
    GIS or Geographic or Geospatial information system is a rapidly growing field. Research on this topic is at its peak and students are opting for GIS projects in their third and final year. Students in Computer Science and IT branches develop GI Systems to capture, store, manipulate, analyze, manage, and present all types of geographical data.
    As a project, students can develop a GIS application or tool that allow users to create interactive queries (user-created searches), analyze spatial information, edit data in maps, and present the results of all these operations.

For example here are some projects from Carnegie Institute -

Carnegie Museum of Natural History Pennsylvania Unconventional Natural Gas Wells Geodatabase
    How many Marcellus Shale gas wells are drilled in Pennsylvania? In reality, this is a difficult question to answer. The GIS lab is seeking to figure this out and use the data for multiple projects. Information on well permits, when wells were drilled, how much natural gas is being produced, and violations will be included in the geodataset.
    Regional Macroinvertebrate Stream Survey
    Certain macroinvertebrate communities in streams are indicators of stream health. Utilizing GIS will help us develop a comprehensive dataset to continually monitor macroinvertebrate communities in our region. As Marcellus shale gas wells continue to develop in Pennsylvania, water resource protection will continue to be an important issue for the residents of our region.
    Powdermill Nature Reserve: The Changing Landscape
    Aerial photos are an important source for maps and geodatasets. By observing historical aerial photos, we can gain insight of the changes to the local ecosystems of Powdermill. This project will provide high-quality aerial imagery over time and allow us to use the imagery to delineate historically forested and un-forested areas from as early as 1939.
    Ligonier Landowners Map
    Our neighbors are an important part of the life of Powdermill. This map will help landowners in the Ligonier area understand the local economic and environmental impacts that the Marcellus shale gas drilling industry could bring to the region.
    New Public Trail and Canopy Walk Planning Analysis
    Do you like the idea of having more hiking options at Powdermill Nature Reserve? We do, too! So we are in the process of determining new areas for trail development.
    Comparing Vegetation Ground Surveys with Remotely Sensed Data to Measure Forest Succession (Proposed)
    During the summers of 2006–2008, Powdermill completed an extensive vegetation survey from field observations. Remote sensing techniques can also be used to quantify vegetative land cover. By using the ground observations already collected, we hope to determine the effectiveness and accuracy of remotely sensed data to quantify not only the present species, but also to estimate measures of tree height, diameter, and density.
    Vegetation Survey
    A detailed vegetation survey was completed for more than 4,600 forested plots and 800 plots in maintained fields. More than twenty permanent vegetation monitoring plots have been established. This dataset provides Powdermill with an extremely detailed vegetation baseline upon which future research can build.
    Louisiana Waterthrush Stream Survey
    The GIS Lab produced a large-scale GIS dataset of Powdermill streams for this collaborative project with the National Aviary.
    Golden Eagle Project
    The GIS lab was a key partner in a study of golden and bald eagles in eastern North America. The project studied the migration of eagles along mountain ridges where there is potential conflict with installation of wind energy turbines. More information can be obtained at #-Link-Snipped-#.

Some other projects from across the web -

Esri Geoportal Server
    Esri Geoportal Server is a free open source product that enables discovery and use of geospatial resources including datasets, rasters, and Web services. It helps organizations manage and publish metadata for their geospatial resources to let users discover and connect to those resources. The Geoportal Server supports standards-based clearinghouse and metadata discovery applications.
    ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap
    ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap is an ArcGIS add-on that allows ArcGIS users to download data from OpenStreetMap, store it locally in a geodatabase, and use the advanced editing environment of ArcGIS for Desktop 10 to create, modify, or delete data. Once the edits are complete, the changes can be posted back to OpenStreetMap and made available to the OpenStreetMap community. It was released under the Microsoft Public License (Ms-PL) and is available on CodePlex.
    Esri ArcGIS Silverlight Toolkit
    This project contains the source code and libraries for the Esri ArcGIS Silverlight Toolkit SDK. The library is an extension of the ArcGIS API for Microsoft Silverlight/WPF. Included are a number of controls, widgets, and tools that you can use to enhance your Web applications. It was released under the Microsoft Public License (Ms-PL) and is available on CodePlex.
    ArcGIS API Lite for Flex
    This is a new Open Source code project available from Esri on GitHub. It is built as a wrapper around the ArcGIS API for Flex. It is a simple API targeted at those who are new to GIS and/or Esri, enabling you to embed mapping capabilities into Flex projects.

Please feel free to share more topics and ideas.
    hey i m in 4 th yr civil
    is it good to do project in GIS....??
  • Tushar92
    Tushar92
    I had my final year project in GIS. Submitted it for the competition too!
  • J.Prasanna
    J.Prasanna
    Hi. I am Prasanna joshi, doing my M.Tech. in construction management. I am searching for a subject for my second year dissertation work in GIS, regarding my college campus. Can anybody please suggest me any topic?
  • Soixante
    Soixante
    Hello mam,
    I'm a student of TY BSc IT and want to do a project on GIS for my final year project.
    I have gone through the details above and even visited some of the sites link mentioned by you.But I'm still confused and not able to understand it....
    please help !
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Soixante
    Hello mam,
    I'm a student of TY BSc IT and want to do a project on GIS for my final year project.
    I have gone through the details above and even visited some of the sites link mentioned by you.But I'm still confused and not able to understand it....
    please help !
    Sure. We are here to help. Do remember that no spoon-feeding will be done by any of the members of the site. What are you confused about and where are you stuck in selecting a project idea?
  • Soixante
    Soixante
    My topic is related to Deforestation area,but I'm confused about where to start from.
    I'm new to GIS.
  • Balaji Puthiran
    Balaji Puthiran
    Hai Viewers,
    "Development Of Application Software-Innovative use of mobile/GIS Tech"
    this is my title of GIS Project,so please anyone give me to such as good ideas,Innovative things and also which GIS tool comfortable in this project,how to start my project please guide me,here i attached my project proposal ,please you just give me to sample ideas that's enough then i will improve it
  • Balaji Puthiran
    Balaji Puthiran
    Hai everyone,
    i need a help.anyone please tell me GIS best training institute in Banglore.
  • Balaji Puthiran
    Balaji Puthiran
    Edgemap Softwares (P) Ltd is providing GIS Training in banglore.This is best institute or not.let me know please
  • Qwame Boadum
    Qwame Boadum
    hi i'm Emmanuel..i would like to work on a project which seeks to study the spatial variations of rainfall using GIS...how can i go about this? pls i need your help... you can inbox me here #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ms Jeni Bhattacharjee
    Ms Jeni Bhattacharjee
    Hi Mam, I am M.Tech construction engineering and Management 2nd year student from Assam. I have submitted synopsis on Application of GIS in planning, management and construction of rural roads. Can you please help me in getting reprints on the above topics for reference.
  • NIMESH K UPADHYAY
    NIMESH K UPADHYAY
    HELLOE...
    IS THAT ANY PROJECT IN GIS WHICH HELPS OUR FARMERS FOR AGRLICUTURE DEVLOPMENT AND SOLVE SOME MAJOR ISSUES,,,
    PLEASE REPLY ME FAST...
  • Sarthak Tewari
    Sarthak Tewari
    Hello ma'am,
    I'm Sarthak, a final student of B.Tech in Geoinformatics Engineering. I am not able to decide my major project. I did a project on site suitability analysis for sericulture development. Could you suggest me any topic related to site suitability analysis?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Sarthak Tewari
    Hello ma'am,
    I'm Sarthak, a final student of B.Tech in Geoinformatics Engineering. I am not able to decide my major project. I did a project on site suitability analysis for sericulture development. Could you suggest me any topic related to site suitability analysis?
    Interesting. Site Suitability Analysis looks like a great project idea. I think engineering students can take this topic a step further and create a project about site suitability analysis for landslide monitoring base station OR mountainous terrains OR multipurpose small scale dams.

Other GIS based project ideas are -
    1. Calculating Soil Erodibility Index
    2. Comparison of Supervised and Unsupervised Classifications
  • Usman Usman
    Usman Usman

hello admin, I am Usman Umar Usman, a fifth year student studying Geomatics/Geospatial Engineering from Nigeria. I am intending to carryout a GIS/Remote sensing based project  about the effect of quarry blastings on building structures in industrial areas in some parts of Abuja Nigeria. there is always vibrations and shakings of structures in this area and rescently there was an earth tremor which is said to result from the years long blastings in this monteneous region. please help me frame an apt and a comprehensive topic about all of these. thank you

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

how bucholz relay perform their function in transformer?
how does radio frequency transmittr and reciever wrks
I am a sophomore majoring electrical engineering. Because of my major, it's rather tough to keep on top of my studies as much as my professors tell me to do...
I have decided my project on cloud computing...and i need some clarification on following terms can anyone refer some pdf or site for understanding these terms>.....pls 1.Reed-Solomon erasure-correcting code and...
glad to be one of you!!!!!