Getting Harder On Spammers

CEans,

Community boards like ours aren't new to spam and spammers. A popular community always attracts spammers like sugar-cube attracts flies. We found out that in the last 2-3 days, CE has constantly been under spammer attack and we've been manually removing spam accounts and posts. Finally we decided to automate the process.

We now have a system that checks every new registration against a central database of known spammers. If found, the system will put them into moderation queue so that we can look at them and approve their registration.

We're going to test the system for a few days and if the spam continues, we'll launch another assault on spammers by checking each and every post [on forums, on profile pages, on conversations etc.] that the new members make on CE. This process is completely automated and does not involve human intervention.

It is possible that the system may put some of the legit registration in the moderation queue. We apologies for the inconvenience in advance.

The regular members shouldn't be affected by the system. If you think something is out of place; feel free to inform us through this thread.

Replies

• anuraadha
    anuraadha
    Super #-Link-Snipped-#! ๐Ÿ˜€ But how do I find who is spamming so that I can inform? I don't understand that part.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    If you find advertisements in any posts, then please use the report option at the end of each post. That helps!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Members have the facility to 'report' anything that they think is objectionable. There's a 'report' link in all of the posts. Once you click on the report link, you'll have to enter the reason why you think it's objectionable. That helps us determine what to do with the post.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    Thank you #-Link-Snipped-#. I saw one 2 days back in one of the posts. I dint know that was a spam. Will report if I find any.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    Done Bigge! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I have a question here, I just have edited a post it gave the synopsis of some book and gave a link in one of the popular site to buy that book and steps to buy that book so will our new spam controller (lets call it that way) will be able to read and report to us about these kind of threads?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I too found a few obvious spam mails (first posts) and reported them in the last two days.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bioramani
    I too found a few obvious spam mails (first posts) and reported them in the last two days.
    Thank you. We've taken the next step already. Now every new post is checked for spam for all the new members until they reach a certain post count. The mechanism only affects the new members.

The spam engine has already caught a few spammers in the last 3 hours.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    English-Scared
    I have a question here, I just have edited a post it gave the synopsis of some book and gave a link in one of the popular site to buy that book and steps to buy that book so will our new spam controller (lets call it that way) will be able to read and report to us about these kind of threads?
    The spam checker only checks for spam posted by the new members (based on registration date and post count). It does not affect regular members.
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    I've no experience in this, but I'm active on forum sites since I was 15 years old, spam is everywhere.. you can block the IP range ๐Ÿ˜€ or you can send a complain to their ISP ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    it is better to ban people who spam about in forums

they really dont have the slightest idea of their actions hindering others quest
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's hard to stop the human spammers and I can confidently say that the spam inspector we've in place does a great job of finding out the robots that post spam on the site.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can any one explain, how pressure decreases when velocity increases in case of fluids. as the area reduces velocity increases, but the pressure reduces. pressure is inversely proportional to area...
suggest good reference for socket programming in java
yesterday i posted one thread but dint get the answer yet......... Some companies are postponing the date of joining na so getting some what fear.. I got placed in Cognizant...
CEans, I'm a BE graduate and working in MNC as developer. Now I have got 2 years of work experience, I would like to apply for executive mba, or part...
Fact #1: Industrial Visit is more of a group picnic than study tour. Fact #2: Your Family members will not consider you an Engineer! Unless you repair any home appliances....