Genetic Rice, a bane to mankind?

The other day one of my friend told me an interesting(rather queer) fact that scientists believe that by 2030's the rice and wheat will be completely replaced by genetically grown plants .They believe that the harvest period will be reduced and the profits will be boosted.Is this bad? If yes, in what way?

Replies

• rohanrockxxx
    rohanrockxxx
    good point,cause im sure there will be no place left for parking ,so growing rice is out of question,also im not sure that people will be alive tillt then looking at the current current famine struck in developed and developing countries.....
  • Vassilya
    Vassilya
    I don't necessarily see it as a bad concept, but then communism was a great idea until it was implemented. I think the good or bad of the entire bit will depend on who spearheads the project, and through that filter I don't think it will end well unless our philosophical and ethical perspective magically catches up with our technological ability.
  • anusha venkat
    anusha venkat
    vinod1993
    The other day one of my friend told me an interesting(rather queer) fact that scientists believe that by 2030's the rice and wheat will be completely replaced by genetically grown plants .They believe that the harvest period will be reduced and the profits will be boosted.Is this bad? If yes, in what way?
    oui.. itz bad!! first and foremost itz affects the economy because only big agricultural industries will b able to afford the gm-rice if it is approved and introduced in the market.some new plant varieties may increase the seed cost. small scale farmers will find it difficult to adopt themselves to such financial changes. ultimately developing country must depend on the developed nations to fund these gm-plants.
    when it comes to health, the gm-rice is implemented with lots of vitamins. excess intake of these vitamins can causes serious health issues. itz also found that gm-rice has intended to activate the genes that are responsible for causing cancers and tumors. our immune system will develop adverse effects.
    since itz an un-natural way of producing rice, itz always good to avoid them.
  • Vassilya
    Vassilya
    You're using logical fallacies to belabour a point on a site created for scientific debate and reasonable thinking. I highly doubt that the g.m. rice is intended to cause cancer, I also very much doubt that every strain of g.m. rice is designed specifically to hyperbolize vitamin intake to the point of health problems.
    Case and point that g.m. isn't that bad: Ever eaten Cheerios?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    It is sure to make one more fatigued as it will lose naturally must be taken Vitamins and minerals
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'll continue to believe that the mother Earth has provision for everyone, as long as we don't start exploit it. I think many will agree with me that we're doing the things we shouldn't be doing in the name of 'development'. I've no knowledge of the organic rice, but I believe we have enough place to grow food enough to feed everyone on the planet. The 'monetary' system will have to go for us to reach a nature-development equilibrium.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I am with #-Link-Snipped-# in this we are over exploiting the resources in the name of development

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can any one suggest me good software for design. I'd prefer a freeware over a commercial software any day.
Hai CEans please suggest me a circuit using 9v without multivibrators.it may consists of transistor,digital components etc...
Hello It's Puneet from Punjaba. I am dedicating this thread for Mechanical engineering students - Please share Pro/e Tutorials In this thread.
Can anyone help me in getting the solution of computer architecture by Morris Mano. Have tried through many links online but could not get a fruitfull result. so guys please...
I need some ideas about graduate projects exactly for sites, useful applicable ideas like Blood Bank but not itself. Truely>>> I need them logical and people can deal with it....