Genetic Engineering in Crops - Threat to food security?

Genetic engineering is considered to be a threat to food security, especially in a changing climate. The introduction of genetically manipulated organisms by choice or by accident grossly undermines sustainable agriculture and in so doing, severely limits the choice of food we can eat. Once these genetically engineered plants are released into the environment, they are out of control. If anything goes wrong - they are impossible to recall.

In the following video you will see how GE contamination threatens biodiversity respected as the global heritage of humankind, and one of our world's fundamental keys to survival.

Do you agree with what is being said here? If yes, should we be stopping it?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Nature does its own GE by mutagens and teratogens not to mention evolution.
    ezinearticles.com

Are we not indulging in this when we cross pollinate two plants of the same species to produce new versions that will produce different flowers? This is called hybridization.
    Hybrid %28Biology%29

Sometimes activists tend to dramatise and oversimplify things to take extreme positions. 'Give a dog a bad name and hang it' is the rule. Media gets into the act and things get out of hands.
    I am all for protecting the environment and prevent exploitation of the unsuspecting for corporate gains. It does not mean that all GE is bad.
    My suggestion is that we should take notice, but form our own considered opinion on these issues without automaticallly accepting whatever is put up.
  • nitesh mishra
    nitesh mishra
    sir but i have read that one of the purposes of genetic engineering is to increase yield and produce high nutritious food ,if it affect our food chain so adversely then whats the use of it ?can you explain .
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    nitesh mishra
    sir but i have read that one of the purposes of genetic engineering is to increase yield and produce high nutritious food ,if it affect our food chain so adversely then whats the use of it ?can you explain .
    I am not against GE. It is possible that commercial agencies engineer a self destruct mode into the seeds so that the seeds from the parent GE modified plant will not reproduce true to type. Even worse, if the insects doing the pollination from the flowers of a GE field to a neighbouring non GE field, the seeds from this field may not germinate. Some small farmer , who is unable to afford the GE seeds will get affected badly.
    I am not saying that it always happens. It is not good if it does. What happens in nature is that the genes fittest to survive remain. Over many iterations a stable type has evolved. Trouble comes if we interfere with this time evolved balance.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys😀 I heard its totally new concept. I heard there are more patents even. I need more information for this concept. Can anyone please help me?? Which site i...
Genetic engineering is a really amusing subject. We often read about genetics and genetic engineers revolutionizing the future with their breakthroughs in science. We also talk about how we are...
What are the recent advancing trends in thermal field available for final year projects? Please help me,..
lets discuss together and create or atleast get some ideas to create some crazy innovative stuff..!!!! 😨 this would be a great social group task..! contribute..!!!!
The Department of Biotechnology, G O I, is quie aggesssive in trying to promote all aspects of biotechnology with social relevance. It supports and encourages industry - research Institute collaboration....