General Tips for building highly scalable software applications

CEans,

I'm not a Computer Science engineer and do not have much exposure to highly scalable applications. However I'm interested in knowing the following -

1. Has anyone among us (CEans) built a highly scalable software application?

2. What are the general tips for building highly scalable software application?

3. Does the choice of programming language / tool affect the process?

4. Are the the important considerations at architectural level for building large scale software applications?

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Yes,

I am not among those who has built highly scalable applications but yes programming language affects a lot. While selecting programming language you should be very clear about the requirements of your product/application and pros and cons of that language towards your application.

Tools are just a means of making your application. They don't affect much.

For a scalable software application, modularity plays a very important role. It is always good to have modular approach in your application and do some analysis of Design patterns to be followed in developing your application.

Analysis phase for technologies before developing matters a lot and it can make a huge change.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks for your response.

Let's take an example. What would be the architecture for an instant messaging client which will be used by say 1000 & 100,000 users simultaneously.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    The_Big_K
    What would be the architecture for an instant messaging client which will be used by say 1000 & 100,000 users simultaneously.
    A Simple Client Server architecture.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    shalini_goel14
    A Simple Client Server architecture.
    A simple client server architecture would work for 1000 and 100000 clients without any problem? No changes required?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    The_Big_K
    A simple client server architecture would work for 1000 and 100000 clients without any problem? No changes required?
    I think it will but not sure.According to me the no of clients you told me is very less. Better ask an Architect(one who has 5+ more years in experience than me)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Alright, this is purely a pop of my evil brain :twisted: ; but rather an interesting one. I'm thinking of a self wheelieing motorcycle! Probably there are no practical uses...
i am a cse student and want to do paper presentation in digital image processing but i am confused abt it... it ll be nice to have ideas and suggestions...
hi guys....... google downloads the whole of the web thru crawlers.... if i want to download a website to my pc wat software do u think i can use........ do...
Want to do internship abroad.. I want to do internship abroad. Please suggest me how can I get that opportunity. I have already done some project work on various topics...
Can someone tell me what is the difference between a pen drive and a flash drive? Also is USB drive the same thing?