GCC vs Turbo C

So,
I am new in this programming thing ... being an EC engineer i was never too much involved in Languages.
But recently i wanted to learn all programming languages anyhow ...
so i started with C ... Never been a fan of Windows, so i wanted to do all this coding & learning it in Fedora Linux. Somehow, while trolling GCC vs TC in CE Forums, I found one of fellow CEan wrote that GCC is for advanced level programming & TC is for newbie ... To be honest, I found GCC very convenient.

I just need reviews and guide from veteran programmers about ... is it okay that i stick with GCC compiler .. or should i opt TC compiler.
& please elaborate the difference between GCC & TC compilers.

Any help and criticism are welcome ! ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• yorha 2b
    yorha 2b
    no one ?? ๐Ÿ˜” ๐Ÿ˜ญ
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Of course GCC is totally fine. You'll find that in almost all the free linux distro and what not. There's nothing like compiler for advance & compiler for newbie. Until the your program is syntactically correct, compiler used is of least concern. Yes, every compiler offers certain compiler specific features (ever seen that #pragma ?), but those are seldom used as they hurt the portability of the program.

TC is outdated if you ask me, while gcc is still under active development, so its good idea to stick to it. As a short answer to your question, it doesn't matter which compiler you use. If you know the language itself, your programs will compile regardless of compiler its thrown at.

Though, I would advice to not be a "wanna be" cool programmer(trying to write code in notepad) and download an IDE for coding. It really helps a lot in learning & further coding. You can get the Code::Block IDE for free, bundled with gcc.

We all know no one likes to work in blue screen with white font when you great graphical interfaces available..๐Ÿ˜‰

Hope that answers you question.

Best Regards.
  • yorha 2b
    yorha 2b
    [Prototype]
    Of course GCC is totally fine. You'll find that in almost all the free linux distro and what not. There's nothing like compiler for advance & compiler for newbie. Until the your program is syntactically correct, compiler used is of least concern. Yes, every compiler offers certain compiler specific features (ever seen that #pragma ?), but those are seldom used as they hurt the portability of the program.

TC is outdated if you ask me, while gcc is still under active development, so its good idea to stick to it. As a short answer to your question, it doesn't matter which compiler you use. If you know the language itself, your programs will compile regardless of compiler its thrown at.

Though, I would advice to not be a "wanna be" cool programmer(trying to write code in notepad) and download an IDE for coding. It really helps a lot in learning & further coding. You can get the Code::Block IDE for free, bundled with gcc.

We all know no one likes to work in blue screen with white font when you great graphical interfaces available..๐Ÿ˜‰

Hope that answers you question.

Best Regards.
    Thank you very much, man
    Helps a lot ๐Ÿ˜€
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    I'm trying to guess what they meant by saying GCC is for advanced level programming. Yes, it is, but I don't see how that rules out a beginner. The difficulty with developing code is converting the algorithm in your mind into code. The best any tool can do is to just work and not become a distraction.

I guess they meant that TurboC came with an IDE (didn't it?). But you can always download and use an IDE like The Community for Open Innovation and Collaboration | The Eclipse Foundation, #-Link-Snipped-#, Code::Blocks - Code::Blocks or www.codelite.org. Though contrary to what [Prototype] advised above, I dislike all IDEs, preferring to work in GNU Emacs - GNU Project.

The problem with all IDEs is that they're all a little different. As you jump from project to project, you often have to switch IDEs, so you may have to use different keys to move the cursor or highlight text. I don't want to exert ANY thought to how to edit. I want it to just happen when I think about it. That's why I use emacs.
  • Invalid User
    Invalid User
    gcc is fine but try below program
    o/p will different in Turbo C and GCC
    #include"stdio.h"
    main()
    {
    int a=1,b=1,c=2,d=1,e=1,f=1,g=1,h=1;
    a=++a + ++a + ++a;
    b=++b + ++b + b++;
    c=++c + c++ + ++c;
    d=++d + d++ + d++;
    e=e++ + ++e + ++e;
    f=f++ + ++f + f++;
    g=g++ + g++ + ++g;
    h=h++ + h++ + h++;
    printf("%d\n%d\n%d\n%d\n%d\n%d\n%d\n%d\n",a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h);
    }

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The steps of burning an ISO image to CD/DVD are different depending on which tool you use. However, the following key points are useful for burning: Insert a blank CD/DVD....
is it possible to develop a new database management software?
Hi guys, Finally, after so much hard work & patience, I've a job in a small software company. My designation is QA Trainee & salary is just 6-7k ๐Ÿ˜” See,...
Vishwanath J Hey I am a 2012 passout batch from ECE branch .. Till now i have not done any certifications and even i did not get placed in campus...
Hi, I am manual tester, and want to move in automation so learning & training of which one tool will be good for growth in software testing.