Gap of 3 years- Probability of Getting job in IT Industry.

Respected Admin, senior members, & Colleagues warm greetings to all of you.

I am new member of this wonderful forum which I come across randomly through google search so thought a proper place to ask my Queries and for that I am really thankful and hopeful that I wil get answers so that I can take appropriate decision. I Have done computer engineering in the year 2013 but didn't apply to any company since then.

Reason : -

I am the only Child of my parents. I graduated in the year 2013 that time it wasnt possible for me to go and look for company immediately because my mom is high sugar patient and it was not possible for me to leave her alone and my dad was the only moral support for me and anyhow I managed to do things. later on my dad got suffered with Cancer and then things got changed tremendously one after the other so it was a Quite high pressure on me to manage and deal with all the situations including treatment and all but we did it so that time my parents was more important for me than any other thing because I am the only Child to look after them and they did alot for me so I just cant leave them alone. It was really painful situation and can't even put it in words what I have gone through. Even now also things are Quite challenging but I really need a job for further support to my family so I m in dire need. I have to start everything from level zero and I m aware about it but I am bit confuse what step I should take now and which technology I should go for. I wil go to any extent to learn things. please help me with following Questions and their possible solutions.

1) sir will Company give me job after this 3 years gap and wil consider this as a genuine reason?

2) How should I start my career ? which technology I should learn and start mastering? what Options I have in my life now?

3) If I go for MS later then wil this Gap of 3 years matter?

All suggesstions and help are welcome. I would be highly indebted to all of you.
Thank you so much for your time & Consideration.

Replies

• cs_engineer
    cs_engineer
    #-Link-Snipped-# Sir , #-Link-Snipped-# mam please help me...!!!

#-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

all Sir & mam please help . Thank you.

#-Link-Snipped-# mam

#-Link-Snipped-# mam please help
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - You've described your situation in detail. It helps us offer better suggestions. Here are my answers to your questions -

cs_engineer
    1) sir will Company give me job after this 3 years gap and wil consider this as a genuine reason?
    Typically, a company would offer you a job if you've the skill-set they're looking for. Instead of targeting MNCs (or big companies), I'd strongly recommend you to look for smaller companies so that you make your 'entry' into the work-force.

cs_engineer
    2) How should I start my career ? which technology I should learn and start mastering? what Options I have in my life now?
    Do a survey of the companies that you can approach and look for the technology they're working on. You could simply talk to their recruitment managers and see if there's any possibility of learning the technology they're working on.

Also, depending upon your financial condition - keep your options open. I've seen a few engineers get into marketing and sales and then switch over to technical job over a period of 3-5 years.

cs_engineer
    3) If I go for MS later then wil this Gap of 3 years matter?
    No, it won't. But you might be asked to justify the gap and what you did during this period.

PS: This is not a real-time chat and it takes other people to read and respond. Please avoid tagging large number of members here.
  • cs_engineer
    cs_engineer
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir I already told the reason behind my gap so wil they consider this as a genuine reason for gap ? wil this gap matter while getting a job ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    cs_engineer
    sir I already told the reason behind my gap so wil they consider this as a genuine reason for gap ? wil this gap matter while getting a job ?
    No one here can make a prediction on whether they'll consider it as a 'genuine' reason. You can back it up with proof; if they ask for it.

You'll have to think from the perspective of employer. You've got to have something that'll make them ignore the gap. The gap will matter in a way that you won't be eligible for campus recruitment. You'll need to apply as an independent candidate.

If you've the right skills-set, look for offering your services as a freelancer as well. That way you will be able to operate from home and still make good money.
  • Debasmita Banerjee
    Debasmita Banerjee
    cs_engineer
    #-Link-Snipped-# mam please help
    Hi, first of all I would like to say that I am not an expert to answer this but as tagged, I will try to help you at the best of my ability. I am really sorry to hear your condition but
    I know that bad times definitely goes away and life goes on. And of course, your head and stomach will not spare you. Leaving the crap, let's have an analysis.

sir will Company give me job after this 3 years gap and wil consider this as a genuine reason?

Yes, they will if you fit their criteria. Trust me, having CS in your BTech will fetch you a lot of jobs if you try finding. According to me, thinking about your condition, Freelancing might suit you more than anything else. Or you can just enroll yourself in any job portal such as #-Link-Snipped-# or #-Link-Snipped-#
    and start applying with your resume. And yes, start with a start-up, eventually, you will get the position and time to penetrate into an MNC later.

About your reason,
    I am sure the recruiters aren't robots so if you truly try to convince them, they will definitely understand your situation. Just be true while answering, they want that.

How should I start my career ? which technology I should learn and start mastering? what Options I have in my life now?

Starting your career? If you want to revise some techniques or have a short course or something I will suggest you enroll or audit for a free course in #-Link-Snipped-#. And about technology, it completely depends on you and your preexisting comfort zone, interest etc. However, again according to me, you might start with web development. I found it easier than the rest. Hailing from CS, I am sure you already know the basics so you will just need to brush up and have a portfolio. And that's it, you are good to go.
    Web development ( front end and backend ) have loads of opportunities. So you might try for that.

Options in life? I am not sure if you have any other hobbies, but only with Btech also you can get much more offers. Or you can study further, enter the world of research. Everything depends on your current situation and choice.

If I go for MS later then will this Gap of 3 years matter?

As you mentioned, MS I believe you are talking about higher education in foreign. In that case, 3 years won't matter if you show that you have done something to improve yourself. I would have preferred a quick project or job experience before applying for MS. And yes, if it's a foreign MS degree, I will suggest you do a direct Ph.D. as it has a higher chance of getting some scholarships. I do not have much idea about Indian MS program but you can have a look at this Is it worth doing MS in India?
    Again, I am not the best person to answer your question but I hope it helps!
  • cs_engineer
    cs_engineer
    #-Link-Snipped-# mam, Really Thanks a ton for your valuable suggestions.

yeah I am talking about MS at Abroad and not in india. as of now I dont have any work experience and I wil try to gain it over 4-5 years by learning so hard then I wil look for this MS option. not before that because as of now it seems very much dificult with the present situation.Regarding Reason yes I do have medical doucments and evrything to be backed as a proof.

The only Question now I have in my mind is which technologies right now I have and can choose for the caree in developer track. No matter which technology I choose I know I have to start and learn evrything from Level Zero. #-Link-Snipped-# Sir can you please give brief idea over the available technologies. It would be helpful in choosing one.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    cs_engineer
    #-Link-Snipped-# Sir can you please give brief idea over the available technologies. It would be helpful in choosing one.
    Perhaps you should start by searching on Google. It's almost impossible to talk about available technologies.
  • cs_engineer
    cs_engineer
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir,

after its long hue & Cries I decided to go for MS from abord after 2-3 years provided my Gap should not restrict my admission for MS. meanwhile I m starting with any small company and can enhance my skills.

can you please suggest me how I can Utilise these next 3 years so that I can get admission for MS at good University. ? what should I do. sir I m following U and have trust as well so pease tell me in detail about this.

I m really fortunate that I come acorss this wonderful Forum. Big Thank U. wil remember U in prayersπŸ˜€

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# , rest all members help , suggestion welcome.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    cs_engineer
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir,

after its long hue & Cries I decided to go for MS from abord after 2-3 years provided my Gap should not restrict my admission for MS. meanwhile I m starting with any small company and can enhance my skills.

can you please suggest me how I can Utilise these next 3 years so that I can get admission for MS at good University. ? what should I do. sir I m following U and have trust as well so pease tell me in detail about this.

I m really fortunate that I come acorss this wonderful Forum. Big Thank U. wil remember U in prayersπŸ˜€

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# , rest all members help , suggestion welcome.
    Hey mate. First off, congrats for the bold decision you have taken. I have taken such a decision and now in a great place. So, if you are going to pursue your MS, you can work on small projects and freelancing stuff in parallel and add up your expertise. That's one of the invaluable asset you can do while you study. Make sure whatever you do is related to what you study, so that it boosts your value. Whatever you do extra after studies will be taken seriously in western countries like UK and US. That's what I did and well, now I am here.

Let me know if you need any further guidance, I am happy to help you.
  • cs_engineer
    cs_engineer
    Praveen-Kumar
    Let me know if you need any further guidance, I am happy to help you.
    Dear #-Link-Snipped-# Sir , thank you so much for your kind words and your words give me hope in the dark time of my life. one of our CE's senior members ( A. V. Ramani Sir) suggested me to contact U and he assured me that U wil give appropriate suggestions. Indeed friend thanks a ton. πŸ˜€ Sir please give your valueble suggestions on following 4 Questions.

1) I want to go in developer track so which technology I should choose so that it wil be helpful in long term in future. Just name please, I wil choose any one as per my comfort zone. I know that I have to pick up only one technology and do mastery over that but at the same time I should have jack of all.

2) Sir I m joining institute to learn programming languages to enhance my skill set but meanwhile I dont want to extend this 3 years gap so I decided to work in BPO's for the next 6 months and meanwhile I would have completed mine programming stuff and can apply in to IT small companies. sir if I do so then wil it be a wise decision?

3) Sir hope you are aware about mine 3 years gap (Please have a look on my 1st post, for Reason.) which I have after my POST BE. This Gap is daunting me alot because right now I dont have anything in my hand. I just want to ask and clarify things that once I gain 3 years on paper experience in next 3 years down the line then wil this gap matter in my future specially in US during admission to MS ?

4) After competion of MS wil this PAST 3 YEARS gap wil affect my career in anyway?

just please help me with these 4 Questions. I wil wait for your replies πŸ˜€ . It would be really great to be in touch with such a wonderful knowledgeable person like U. Thank you for your valueable suggestions and timely consideration. πŸ˜€
    cs_engineer
    Dear #-Link-Snipped-# Sir , thank you so much for your kind words and your words give me hope in the dark time of my life. one of our CE's senior members ( A. V. Ramani Sir) suggested me to contact U and he assured me that U wil give appropriate suggestions. Indeed friend thanks a ton. πŸ˜€ Sir please give your valueble suggestions on following 4 Questions.

1) I want to go in developer track so which technology I should choose so that it wil be helpful in long term in future. Just name please, I wil choose any one as per my comfort zone. I know that I have to pick up only one technology and do mastery over that but at the same time I should have jack of all.

2) Sir I m joining institute to learn programming languages to enhance my skill set but meanwhile I dont want to extend this 3 years gap so I decided to work in BPO's for the next 6 months and meanwhile I would have completed mine programming stuff and can apply in to IT small companies. sir if I do so then wil it be a wise decision?

3) Sir hope you are aware about mine 3 years gap (Please have a look on my 1st post, for Reason.) which I have after my POST BE. This Gap is daunting me alot because right now I dont have anything in my hand. I just want to ask and clarify things that once I gain 3 years on paper experience in next 3 years down the line then wil this gap matter in my future specially in US during admission to MS ?

4) After competion of MS wil this PAST 3 YEARS gap wil affect my career in anyway?

just please help me with these 4 Questions. I wil wait for your replies πŸ˜€ . It would be really great to be in touch with such a wonderful knowledgeable person like U. Thank you for your valueable suggestions and timely consideration. πŸ˜€
    First and foremost thing, I know even I am an Indian. Please stop using "sir". It's a honourary title given here (in the England, also in India) and should not be used. Just call me by my name, Praveen. I will be more than happy.
    1. I am a hard-core Web Dev guy, so I am too much partial on this. I chose my track in Masters in Cloud Computing, and it was my passion that drove me to here. Since the name is trend setting I took the course. Nothing else, and I am following my passion of Web Dev, rather than cloud. So I have both, being a masters degree holder in Cloud Computing while I am doing what I am passionate about. My advice for you is to go for any course that suits you. But remember, every course has its own unique value. So choose wisely. If you ask me, choose any advanced computing sciences course.
    2. If you wanna learn something, teach it to others and perfect yourself. This is the mantra I follow. I am an active user in #-Link-Snipped-# (the website for developers), where people post all kinds of question. I will be mostly the first person answering in the questions tagged with either HTML or CSS or JavaScript or jQuery or PHP or MySQL or HTML5 or CSS3. My sincere advice is for you to:
      1. Not go and work in BPO or some other place where it is out of context for your skill.
      2. Not to study under some (not-so-good) crazy institutes, which include the top institute.
      3. Go through a lot of video tutorials in YouTube or self learn concepts.
      4. Teach others, become a mentor, earn a living out of it.
      5. Don't stop trying out stuff. I feel I am dead, if I don't learn something any day.
    3. Paper experience is bullsh!t. I am very much jealous that you have such a huge time. I wish I have a lot of time to learn and teach students, and improve myself. And when you think of US, it is becoming more than BS. So think twice before going there. Gaps shouldn't affect you. Don't worry.
    4. See the #3.
    So all the best for your future. Hope everything looks good for you. Do let me know if you need any guidance.

Cheers.
  • cs_engineer
    cs_engineer
    Praveen-Kumar
    when you think of US, it is becoming more than BS.

Thanks Pravern πŸ˜€ . I didn't get what BS u r talking about. Could you please elaborate what actually u r talking about BS.? πŸ˜€
    cs_engineer
    Thanks Pravern πŸ˜€ . I didn't get what BS u r talking about. Could you please elaborate what actually u r talking about BS.? πŸ˜€
    This is one more thing, a big problem with all our Indians. When you Google for it, the first result comes as the expected one! πŸ˜€ And people never search, and would like to be spoon-fed. Change that mentality. Try to find answers yourself. Stop asking others, until it is extremely required. Never ever give up. And now, don't ask the meaning of BS, by now you should have known what it is. I have already mentioned it in my post as well. πŸ˜‰

Also, my name is Praveen, not anything else. Attention to detail, one of the main things lacking in Indian students, which I have personally seen.

And finally, don't divert the topic. Of all the things I have told you, you were curious in knowing what BS is about, rather than other things. This happens with me as well. So I can't blame.
  • cs_engineer
    cs_engineer
    #-Link-Snipped-# Yeah sorry _/\_ it was misspelt. Plesse don't mind. Yeah I got it now evrything. Thanks for your valuable suggestions πŸ˜€ If I have any Query I wil text U Praveen πŸ˜€
    cs_engineer
    #-Link-Snipped-# Yeah sorry _/\_ it was misspelt. Plesse don't mind. Yeah I got it now evrything. Thanks for your valuable suggestions πŸ˜€ If I have any Query I wil text U Praveen πŸ˜€
    Awesome. Finally, don't use SMS lingo. I know it is difficult. But this is the same thing will come for you, if you meant to write any professional emails. Please try to avoid that as well.
  • cs_engineer
    cs_engineer
    Yes Sure. I will try my level best and will remember your suggestions. Thank you so much Praveen πŸ˜€

Hello Praveen After doing some R & D I found Dot NET is bit comfortable for me so I decided to go with that. I want to know the career opportunities , growth and Scope for dot Net. What type of Certification I could do in Dot Net? Please give some guidance.

#-Link-Snipped-# Thank you πŸ˜€

#-Link-Snipped-#

sir please give me suggestions on this Question.
  • cs_engineer
    cs_engineer
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    cs_engineer
    Hello Praveen After doing some R & D I found Dot NET is bit comfortable for me so I decided to go with that. I want to know the career opportunities , growth and Scope for dot Net. What type of Certification I could do in Dot Net? Please give some guidance.
    All the answers to your questions are on Google. The 'R&D' you said perhaps was limited to 10 minutes of typing random keywords in Google. That's not the right way to do. Spend more time, make notes and find out answers that you want.

If you've decided that you wish to get into .Net; you'll need to figure out even more about it. Asking us to make random predictions about the future and scope for 'you' in .Net is not going to be fruitful. All we can say is that if you are good in any of the .Net technologies; you'll have a good career.

For information related to .Net Certifications: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am a new mmbr of dis page,i am an electrical engineer,2015 pass out,do i have any good scope in IT industry?? I want to start my carrier as a...
Hey Kaustubh, I am a 2016 passed out from CSE. Sorry, but my question is a bit unrelated to the topic under discussion. I got a job through campus placements...
If you google the most notable engineers of all time, the top names you will come across would typically include - Leonardo Da Vinci, Henry Ford, George Stephenson, Gustave Eiffel...
The future of communication is a route via the contemporary drones or air vehicles – that’s how a team of researchers from the Aalto University and the Tampere University of...
hello Folks, I need some advice from you. I am#NetworkSubjectLover, currently working under infrastructure department in Mphasis Limited Pune.. My basic Job Profile is Monitoring and Basic troubleshooting along with...