Fx0 Is The First Expensive Firefox OS Smartphone Featuring 4G LTE And Transparent Design

If you thought that Firefox OS smartphones are supposed to be cheap, here's a latest unveil by Mozilla Corp and KDDI in Japan that is sure to baffle you. Called Fx0, the new smartphone running the Firefox operating system has been officially launched in Japan just before Christmas. Going on sale tomorrow i.e. on December 25, the Fx0 smartphone is the first high-spec phone from the company featuring the latest Firefox OS update out-of-the-box. What makes the phone royal and far from the common man's reach is it's design. Tokujin Yoshioka, the world-class Japanese artist has designed the Fx0 smartphone to incorporate Mozilla's mission statement of freedom, openness and transparency in the new gadget.

Alongside the support for the latest technologies including WebRTC, NFC and 4G LTE, the Fx0 Firefox OS smartphone comes with a transparent design (as you can see from the picture below), such that the user can see the battery, SIM card holder, camera and everything under the hood on both the rear and front panel.

fx0-firefox-os-smartphone-mozilla-kddi-japan
As we take a look at the Fx0 smartphone specs, we find a 1.2GHz Snapdragon 400 processor, 1.5GB RAM, 16GB of storage space, and a 2,370mAh battery. There's a 4.7 inch screen display and camera on the rear is a 8MP one, whereas the one on the front is a 2.1MP snapper. The dimension of the phone are 139mm x 70mm x 10.5mm, whereas the weight is 148 gm.

Among all the #-Link-Snipped-#, this is going to be the most expensive one. Only available in Japan as of now, the Fx0 is said to be priced at JPY 50000, which is approx. $414 or Rs, 26,300. What are your thoughts on the new transparent design and the basic set of specifications? Would you be ready to shell out Rs. 25K+ if it launches in India? Share with us in comments below.

Source: Mozilla and KDDI Launch First Firefox OS Smartphone in Japan – Mozilla Press Center

Replies

• Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    A phone that can't run candy crush saga does not have much chance succeeding in India IMHO. The 'specs' too is like "better alternatives available in cheaper price". Ecosystem is the key to survival of any phone in here, 'specs' next and then price. If released in this price, I think this phone will meet the same fate of Jolla Sailfish.

A few couple of enthusiasts may buy this. Rest , not much chance.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Divyaprakash
    If released in this price, I think this phone will meet the same fate of Jolla Sailfish.
    What if I tell you that Jolla Sailfish can really run Candy crush & plenty other famous/well-known Android apps ??
  • Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    Abhishek Rawal
    What if I tell you that Jolla Sailfish can really run Candy crush & plenty other famous/well-known Android apps ??
    Then that knowledge must be made known to a lot many of us. I am all for alternative mobile platforms. Love Sailfish, firefox and BlackBerry 10. I personally think Sailfish is the Che Guevara of mobile OSs. The real rebel.

Well, are you asking me if I buy Jolla? Very tempting. But my first target is BlackBerry Passport!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Divyaprakash
    Well, are you asking me if I buy Jolla? Very tempting. But my first target is BlackBerry Passport!
    Well, to each his own.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you understand the gravity created by spinning spacecraft which is kind of following in movie Interstellar and 2001-A Space Odyssey Here is explanation about it. https://www.wired.com/2014/10/physics-spinning-spacecraft-interstellar/ Here is spacecraft...
Quark is the annual technology & management festival of BITS Pilani, Goa Campus. Since its inception in 2006, Quark has risen to become one of the biggest tech-management fests in...
Indian telecommunications MNC, Bharti Airtel has decided to apply separate charges for voice over internet protocol (VoIP) calls. As evident in the fine print in the terms and conditions, Airtel...
Taiwanese smartphone maker Asus has launched the latest mid-range smartphone, the Pegasus X002 in China. It is strongly believed that the latest device would prove to be a tough competitor...
Thanks to the internet, Electric Cars are now anything but a novelty. With the USA and Europe rapidly embracing the eco-friendly automobiles, the technology is expected to spread to other...