Function of Crank Shaft

what is function of crankshaft? and what application of this?

Replies

• saravanan4
    saravanan4
    The main function of crank shaft is conversion of reciprocating motion into rotary motion . The piston reciprocates due to heat developed inside the engine, this motion is turned into rotary by crank shaft, it transmit the power developed in the engine that is indicated power to the flywheel, the flywheel serves as a energy reservoir, the end of crank shaft will be connected to cam shaft that is push rod and rocker arm to operate the opening and closing of inlet and exhaust valves
  • jaspal rautela
    jaspal rautela
    i am not understand that the function of crankshaft?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    jaspal rautela
    i am not understand that the function of crankshaft?
    it is the heart of the engine.

it receives the power from the piston and makes it available to the end user of the engine in the form of rotational motion, and torque.
  • nagusrirama
    nagusrirama
    saravanan4
    The main function of crank shaft is conversion of reciprocating motion into rotary motion . The piston reciprocates due to heat developed inside the engine, this motion is turned into rotary by crank shaft, it transmit the power developed in the engine that is indicated power to the flywheel, the flywheel serves as a energy reservoir, the end of crank shaft will be connected to cam shaft that is push rod and rocker arm to operate the opening and closing of inlet and exhaust valves
    in this process pressure is developed and this pressure moves the piston down
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    function of crankshaft is to convert reciprocating motion of connecting rod in to roatary motion...u can see it cleary in the model of i.c engine..
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    nibhani
    function of crankshaft is to convert reciprocating motion of connecting rod in to roatary motion...u can see it cleary in the model of i.c engine..
    it is not the reciprocating motion of the connecting rod, but the piston.

as for the connecting rod, only one third of its length, starting from the piston-pin end, executes reciprocating motion. the remaining two-thirds of its length rotates.
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    ok...
    zaveri
    it is not the reciprocating motion of the connecting rod, but the piston.

as for the connecting rod, only one third of its length, starting from the piston-pin end, executes reciprocating motion. the remaining two-thirds of its length rotates.
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    nibhani
    ok...
    ok i got it...but genrally we say that the motion of connecting rod is reciprocating..but u r also right...
  • dhananjay pathak
    dhananjay pathak
    jaspal rautela
    its main function is to transmission of the rotations of crank to wheels of the automobile through gear box.
  • piyusheddie
    piyusheddie
    jaspal rautela

Jaspal

In ordinary words, the main function of crankshaft is to convert up n down or too n fro (reciprocating motion) motion of piston into the rotary motion so that we can turn the wheels. Moreover crankshaft also helps in balancing the engine with he help of weights. The crank is connected to the piston with the connecting rod in between. Rotary motion of crank provides power to transmission unit (gearbox) wid the help of clutch or fluid coupling (torque convertor on automatic transmission) further which gives power to wheels wid the help of drive shafts.
  • John John
    John John

i don't  understood the function 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CrazyEngineers Am a B-Tech(Computer Science and Engineering) student very passionate about Web Technologies. queries related to the same are welcome!!!!
Is there any researches going on by the Scientists , discovering a Vehicle that runs both on Petrol and Diesel ..? If No , Then Why Dont they ..?
Hello Everyone .., I would like to know, what all subjects will I come across in 2nd year Engineering of Computer Science Department ..? And I would like to what...
Hey everybody! My name's Vassilya. I'm 2 years into school for Biotech, transferring to University of Newcastle (AUS) in January, and my life goal is to create a fire-breathing dragon....
hello, which is the best book to get the basics of current and electromagnetism?