Fuel From CO2 In Atmosphere - Possible With A Microorganism

Michael Adams, member of University of Georgia's Bioenergy Systerms Research Center has succeeded in finding a way to transform the atmospheric Carbon Dioxide (CO2) into useful biofuel. What this means is that the gas which is responsible for trapping Earth's heat in atmosphere, and therefore responsible for global warming, would soon be powering our engines. Adams says that he and his team have created a microorganism that mimics plants and absorbs the CO2 from atmosphere and then turn it into a bio-fuel. The roots of the research are into the process we've learned during science classes - called 'Photosynthesis'.

During Photosynthesis, plants use the Sun rays to transform CO2 and H2O into sugars which give the energy to the plants. The sugars can be fermented to produce Ethanol but the process of extracting the sugars is extremely difficult to adopt it for industrial production. The new process discovered by Adams and team eliminates the need of plants as middlemen, allowing carbon dioxide from air to be trapped and convert it into fuels and other chemicals.

slide

Those who're interested in the scientific name of the microorganism that does it would be happy to know the name "Pyrococcus furiosus" aka rushing fireball. It eats up carbs in the super-heated ocean waters found near geothermal vents. Modifying the organism's genetic material, the research team created a new kind of the organism that survives on CO2 at much lower temperatures.

The discovery may allow humans to solve the problem of fuels and global warming in one go. It'd be interesting to know whether this process can get ready for industrial production.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• AnuragChatterjee
    AnuragChatterjee
    yes, it wud be rathr very intrstng to know the process of such rare industrial production
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    wow if this process works then we don't have to worry 2 important international issue about global warming and fuel. pray god this thing should work

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Is there any one-two line code which can make Kernel Panic ? I am keen to know it. 😀
Our new Resources / Downloads section needs your contribution so that we can benefit a large number of visitors out there. I'm listing out a few ideas for the resources...
I think CE uses XenForo. There is a link "View Conversations". But if I visit some members profile, I do not see any option to start a conversation with him....
Are you experiencing slow Internet connection since last few days? Have you been cursing your Internet service provider for pathetic quality of service? Well, this time, it's not their fault...
Why have eight cylinders in an engine?Why not have one big cylinder of the same displacement of the eight cylinders instead?