Free Wi-Fi @ Delhi Railway Station - India's First!

New Delhi railway station is set to become India's first ever railway station to offer free Wi-Fi service to the passengers. The station, arguably 'India's busiest' will offer this value added amenity to all the passengers. The train station handles about 300 trains and about 500,000 passengers every day. The facility will operate just like the way it operates at major international airports. We learn that a Mumbai based company has been awarded the contract to setup Wireless hot spots all over the station. The selection of the company was done through a tender.

delhi-railway-station-wifi

The overall estimated cost of the project is about Rs. 80 lakh and the estimated time of completion is about 3-4 months. Once fully established, the network will reach to all the 16 platforms at the station offering free connectivity to the Internet services. There are plans to replace the kiosks for checking information about train positions with tablets. These tablets will also offer information about the train position, expected arrival times and other information which the passengers may need.

It looks like Indian Railways plan to introduce similar service at all the major railway junctions across India. The New Delhi railway station has been chosen on a pilot basis and if the project is successful, we may expect similar free Internet service to be launched all over Indian railway stations.

The company responsible for the installation will choose strategic locations to setup the hubs, so that the signal strength is maximum even at the remotest areas of the station. It looks like Railways are going gung-ho on enabling wireless services to passengers. It's important to note that Railways have already equipped with Rajdhani (Howrah) express with Wi-Fi services.

We can't wait to see the service being enabled at all the major railway stations!

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    This is a very good move. I hope they have it in Metro stations as well. Delhi is definitely one of the busiest places I've seen. Again fingers crossed as we are talking about none other than India here. What profit can be made by introducing such Wi-Fi hotspots for free?😒
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Sometimes its not about profit, its more about providing basic amenities (i.e free internet 😛). Some restaurants and cafes provide free wifi too I suppose. They do have an option to introduce ads on the main login portal page (Starbucks does this).

I do home they optimize the Wifi channel usage on both 2.4 & 5 Ghz. In Malaysia, there's a lot of free wifi hotspots around, but at times they suffer from high latency due to channel interferences. At KL Sentral (KL's main railway station), this is further aggravated by the internal steel strut structures.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Advantage runs high but too many Indians are known to misuse them

If a little more regulations is brought into this then the whole project will be a grand success

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Looks like PayPal India & RBI have finally resolved all the issues between them. All the PayPal users in India are receiving the following email (see below). The email highlights...
CEans, Texas Instruments Innovation Challenge 2013-2014 is open for all engineering students in India. The contest aims at promoting IC based system design among student community in India. This year's...
It's an open secret that Apple's engineers are working on producing a cheaper, more affordable version of the iPhone. But now the mystery over the naming of the phone is...
Finally, Amazon has launched two new India edge locations in Chennai & Mumbai to cater to the CloudFront and Route 53 web services, part of Amazon Web Services (AWS) suite....
can someone please help me out for measuring the coefficient of thermal expansion of a material practically?