Foreign direct investment(FDI)

As you all know govt allowed 51% investment in retail sector.many of are in favor of it and many are against .

Frankly speaking i do not understand what is meaning of it.

I means 51% investment signifies what?

and second question

Some people who are in against told that our interest rate is as high as 14 % ,how can we compete with economy whose interest rate is 4%.

what percent they are talking about?

If they are talking about banks interest rate then,how high and low interest rate affect FDI investment in india?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Moved to General Talk section from Debates.

51% investment, in simple terms means that in a joint venture; the investor owns 51% of the company. Which, under normal circumstances would mean that they're the 'bosses' who will control the company and have a final say. I repeat - that's what it means under 'normal circumstances'.

51% investment in Retail Sector means that foreign retail giants like Walmart will be able to take up to 51% control in the joint ventures they'll have with their Indian partners. For example, if Walmart (US) and Reliance (India) decide to venture into Indian retail sector; Walmart will be allowed to own up to 51% of the venture. Meaning, they'll have the final say on the direction of the company and decisions.

Why are people against it?

It basically means that the foreigners will control things in the retail sector. They'll take away profits while using the resources available in India; and foreigners controlling business in India is undesirable; because you won't have the decision making power.

Your second question calls for a different discussion.
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Moved to General Talk section from Debates.

51% investment, in simple terms means that in a joint venture; the investor owns 51% of the company. Which, under normal circumstances would mean that they're the 'bosses' who will control the company and have a final say. I repeat - that's what it means under 'normal circumstances'.

51% investment in Retail Sector means that foreign retail giants like Walmart will be able to take up to 51% control in the joint ventures they'll have with their Indian partners. For example, if Walmart (US) and Reliance (India) decide to venture into Indian retail sector; Walmart will be allowed to own up to 51% of the venture. Meaning, they'll have the final say on the direction of the company and decisions.

Why are people against it?

It basically means that the foreigners will control things in the retail sector. They'll take away profits while using the resources available in India; and foreigners controlling business in India is undesirable; because you won't have the decision making power.

Your second question calls for a different discussion.

Suppose i have my private company,then only i will decide what percent foreign company invest.
    I means why 51%,why not want of companies(how much one company can invest on other and how much other company prefer )
    Very confusing..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you're looking for a portable solar generator to keep your array of electronic empire charged, look no further than the SunSocket - the compact, portable solar generator that ensures...
The use of robotics in medical field isn't new. But this new Japanese internal imaging robot helps the doctors like no one else, especially during emergency situations. The robot, currently...
XOLO Play T1000 has been launched in India with a price tag of Rs.15,999. The company that's trying to outshine the fierce competition from Micromax, Lava, Lemon, Spice and Karbonn...
Okay, we didn't make up that headline, except the 'Playstation 5' & 'Xbox Two' names; but the later part of the headline comes directly from the man who observes the...
Though it's prominently listed on the site, I wanted to start a discussion on the same. I'd be interested to know how many engineering students on this site are taking...