folder lock

well there is a particular folder whose contents i want to hide...people suggested i download some software for this....but one of my friends suggested i can do this by changing the extension of the file......however he could not explain the method very clearly....
can any one of you guys throw some light on this topic ?????

Replies

• Jerry
    Jerry
    Isn't that simple? If you are on WinXP, right click on the folder which you want to hide, Go to 'attributes' and select 'Hidden'. This will make the folder and its contents hidden.

In the same way, you can hide any file. I hope this solves your problem.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sounds Good. I think this thread best fits in our IT - Help section. Will move it after to that section.

-The Big K-
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    There is this software called as folderLock, which I think you are referring to. Simple software, password enabled. It sits in your system tray. You can choose which folder you want to hide/lock, et al. Specify access levels and what not.

I guess the s/w is pretty self explanatory and intuitive. Wont sing paeans about its features here, thats for you to find out.

Oh, did I mention that its a licensed software ๐Ÿ˜
  • Jerry
    Jerry
    kidakaka
    There is this software called as folderLock, which I think you are referring to. Simple software, password enabled. It sits in your system tray. You can choose which folder you want to hide/lock, et al. Specify access levels and what not.

I guess the s/w is pretty self explanatory and intuitive. Wont sing paeans about its features here, thats for you to find out.

I had used a similar freeware, but I don't remember the name. I think it can be a good project for our CE Labs

Jerry
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I also remember that there was some entry in the windows registry which when deleted hides all your drives ...
  • aashima
    aashima
    Well other than using a seperate sofware, MS DOS can also be used to lock a folder using the rename command. But it can work only when its only YOU who knows the trick because it can be unlocked by anyone not being password sensitive.
  • T`u`L`!`P
    T`u`L`!`P
    dear..
    u can do it by built-in windows compressing tool.. no need for any software... but if u want some.. m using a very handy tool called "Hide File Folder" a good thing and by using this ool u can get an option in ur context menu for hiding any file or folder, so no pain, no tension, no long procedure...
    juss right click on ur file and click "protect by HFF".... by this u can make ur folder password protected , totally invisible and only hide its name.. and many other options...
    .... but mostly ppl dont like 2 use any s/w so will suggest u 2 use buit-in feature.....

here is the link: Hide Files & Folders
    its key:
    regards
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    T`u`L`!`P
    dear..
    u can do it by built-in windows compressing tool.. no need for any software... but if u want some.. m using a very handy tool called "Hide File Folder" a good thing and by using this ool u can get an option in ur context menu for hiding any file or folder, so no pain, no tension, no long procedure...
    juss right click on ur file and click "protect by HFF".... by this u can make ur folder password protected , totally invisible and only hide its name.. and many other options...
    .... but mostly ppl dont like 2 use any s/w so will suggest u 2 use buit-in feature.....

here is the link: Hide Files & Folders
    its key:
    regards
    Tulip,

I checked out the website and found that the software is not a freeware (or is it?). Providing key is surely an illegal activity. Please confirm a.s.a.p.

I request all new CEans to go through the CE Common Sense Guide ( CrazyEngineers ) before beginning journey with other CEans.

-The Big K-
  • T`u`L`!`P
    T`u`L`!`P
    @ above... thx,
    here are the links
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    regards
  • manjucv
    manjucv
    this is the easiest way without any software click below link

• suyash
    suyash
    kidakaka

just for curiosity, is it Folder Guard?
    and unlike you, I can't quote the last line in your post with respect to my usage of the same software ๐Ÿ˜... but its good for sure !!
  • soul_hacker
    soul_hacker
    i agree with my colleges. better to use folderlock software to hide ur content.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    An indirect method would be to use an encryption software like truecrypt. Its pretty good.. and free ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • sanalgrover
    sanalgrover
    Jst right click on the folder u want to hide and move on to properties and there change the icon to a blank one.

Then again right click on the blank icon and move on to rename. After this keep Alt key pressed and then press 255 from numpad. This will change your folder name to blank.

Now u should be aware of the location of the folder becoz the folder will be completely invisible. Now if u want u can even hide it through properties to provide extra protection.
    ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Hope dis solves ur problem, if does then do rply!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CEans! Lately, many among us wanted to know if they can create email ids on CrazyEngineers.com. Well its really amazing to know that @ crazyengineers.com id is desired....
We are a group of 10 friends from college ... 5 of us dont read books, the other 5 have read this one ๐Ÿ˜€. A very touching novel, it has...
Lets see how many answers you can reach https://community.engineering.com/puzzler/ do post your answers here Searching on internet is allowed ๐Ÿ˜
my question is related to orkut ....when we send a scrap ,the time is not indian standard time ....can u tell me wht time is tht ???
I know that there are lot of articles & tutorials available on the internet which talk about developing a buzzer system. But I thought it might be better if we...