Flying Car 'Terrafugia TF-X' Could Be Every Engineer's Personal Transport

As engineers we value our time and being stuck is something we inherently dislike. Speaking of being stuck, traffic jams are the biggest head-ache. And so, it looks like engineers over at Terrafugia are busy working on every engineer's dream - flying a car to work. Yeah, Terrafugia TF-X is the latest development from the US based scientists to make a four-seater flying car a reality. Terrafugia Inc, the company based in Woburn, MA founded by pilot-engineers from MIT is best known for developing the street-legal airplane called 'Transition'. It is interesting to note that the company name stands for "escape the earth" in Latin. Capable of vertical take-off and landing, the new TF-X car should be able to complete the flight all on its own. And if everything happens as decide, we can see this car running within the next decade. Wow.

Banking on the green-factor, the Terrafugia TF-X will be a plug-in hybrid electric flying car that would incorporate safer and simpler state-of-the-art intelligent systems as well as fly-by-wire controls. It just goes out to say that - this is definitely the next step in personal aviation. Looking at the challenges in transportation that the world faces currently, if all engineers take the widespread adoption of such hybrid vehicles personally, we will be contributing to the economic benefits significantly and save everyone's personal time.

slide

3-flyingcar-090513 6-flyingcar-090513 7-flyingcar-090513 tfx_terrafugia_508
The photos are indeed awe-inspring and if you're already thinking of beginning saving for the fine day when you can buy this car, we want to mention that you have enough time to do that. With Transition's price tag featuring an amount as high as $279,000, you can figure out how high the TF-X's price will soar. We dug out the PR to find what Terrafugia's CEO/CTO Carl Dietrich had to say. He says, "We are passionate about continuing to lead the creation of a flying car industry and are dedicating resources to lay the foundations for our vision of personal transportation."​
So, meanwhile you can take a look at the video below for a minute full of animated demo of the next engineering marvel:​

Replies

• Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Remembers me of a game called space taxi played in early childhood , so fantasy going to be reality looks so , Great 😀 But sky space is so limited in Mumbai , that it practically impossible to have air transport 😔 What do you think of the air traffic congestion it would create in a popular city like mumbai where air space use is limited ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Terrafugia team has been doing a very innovative engineering there. One more project to follow is the Bloodhound SSC project.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Wow! That's really Incredible..😒

It would be of much use specially in country like India where Traffic Jams are the biggest problem.

Awesome , the video best describes the working. Great work 😀
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Wish they made it in the form of a Bat Mobile. Shiver me timbers! I'm all set for this. Atleast there won't be traffic jams in the air, hopefully!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Great responses here. Some people have vague ideas like -
    If your car could fly, why would you ever drive?
    OR
    There are too many drunks for this to be safe. Lets keep the accidents on the roads. 😯
  • Davinder kumar
    Davinder kumar
    Ahh.. that's great. Design looks compact and pretty.
  • GeNNex_
    GeNNex_
    All the drivers would need to get Pilot licences even if they fly in G airspace, will the car have TCAS built in? Will it be fully automated? Will they fly on assigned airways - design looks compact and all, but the wings don't look aerodynamically stable, we think there will be static stability problems, low flight can be turbulent due to building "chopping up" the air; as such a disturbance may make the flight unstable. The car wings would need to be re-designed... Be interested to see how they overcome this problem.
  • Umesh Kumar Rai
    Umesh Kumar Rai
    Great innovation. It will help to reduce the traffic on road.
    But the question arise here is "What would be the traffic scenario in the air once this hit Indian market".

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

At present i own an LG L9 smart phone. Now i want to transfer some apps in it to the PC using the data cable. So how to go about...
How does actually a audio and video signals works which helps us to listen or view on a display?
I am working on a Wordpress blog. I have successfully able setup with wampserver and it working fine on localhost. My problem is I can't able to access server over...
Screening Criteria Looking only for immediately available freshers 2011/2012 passed out from B.E, B.Tech & MCA from CS & IT branch. Students should have an aggregate of 60% through out...
After the winner demo at Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2013, LG Electronics, the consumer electronics giant is all set to launch the new version of LTE called LTE TDD in...