Flipkart's Voice Search Works - But Will It Result Into More Conversions?

India's leading eCommerce portal, Flipkart has introduced voice search that lets you command the portal like a King or Queen. We tried it and it worked about 3 out of 5 times, which we believe is good given our 'Indian' accents. For example, the service quickly realised 'Samsung Galaxy S4' but couldn't figure it out when we said 'The Midas Touch By Robert Kiyosaki'. On multiple tries, the best guess was 'Dutch', which believe came from 'touch'. The developers may already know that this voice search feature comes from Webkit's 'x-webkit-search' attribute and works in all webkit powered browsers. So it's still webkit doing all the processing.

Screen Shot 2013-08-28 at 10.02.56 AM

Flipkart isn't the first eCommerce portal in India to introduce the voice based search. But the real question is - will voice search bring more conversions to the site? There can be arguments both in favor and against. First - not every use of Flipkart is good at typing out English words without using SMS language. We'd believe that not majority of them would be good at spoken English as well - at least to an extent their voice instructions can be understood by the system. Secondly, we have doubts how effective is the search for various Indian accents. We'd like all our readers to give it a try and post their results in the comments below. While testing, please do not fake your call center, American accent. Be as natural as you can. We'd like to know how it works for all of you.

Merely searching for the right products may not lead to more conversions. Because the checkout process does require you to fill the details. Ultimately, we believe it's just a nice feature to have but that's all about it.

Do share your thoughts below.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    With different accents in the world I doubt the comercial succes of Flipkart over the speech feature.You may argue that it correctly recognised your voice and showed correct results but it does not imply that it will be helpful to others.I had used many sppech features and hope Flipkart help in anyway it could do
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Can we have a few more reviews of the service please? Please note that it will only work in any Webkit enabled browser like Chrome or Safari and I think Opera too. If you are using Firefox, it won't.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I tried to use this feature by using internal mic as well as headphones. Seems they didn't get what they wanted to. The feature isn't able to capture crystal clear accent. Maximum times it shows speech unrecognized. I used Chrome 28.
    Out of 5, I would rate this feature 0. It is disappointing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Crumple zone is also known as crush space which is a main structural feature of automobiles and railcars.As you know it plays a significant role in passenger safety and safety...
At a time in which public consciousness and concern about their security across the Internet is at its peak, a developer from UK - Robb Lewis and designer Ed Poole...
Hi CEans after so much googling I am here to ask a help to all.I want to make a paper presentation on the toopic Biogas-The future fuel of IC engines.For...
Nissan, the Japanese multinational automaker, is here with some awesome news. The company has promised to bring in the market the first "commercially-viable" self-driving car by 2020. Whoa! The last...
If you are like millions of others (nothing to be proud of it) who spend waste hours on Facebook looking at totally useless stuff - there's a way to fix...