Flipkart Mi3 Sale: Did They Have Only 5000 Units?

As expected, Flipkart's site crashed and Mi3 was sold out in flat 40 minutes. I'm reading on various websites that Flipkart had got the interested buyers register and the registration went into 6-digit number. However, Flipkart guys only had 5000 units to sell just to inflate the demand vs supply ratio. It was quite obvious that Flipkart guys must have anticipated that the phone would sell like a hot cake.

Now they're asking people to register for the next batch, expected to arrive in the next week. Do you think the phone actually got sold out or Flipkart folks are just sitting on the stock to make people go crazy about the phone (because of its limited supply) and make more profits?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    May be Its marketing strategy to stock it and sell to create a fake demand and supply.
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    Like every other new brand in the market, they want to create the excitement of owning such a phone and create the illusion of success! What Flipkart did with Motorola, its trying to replicate it with Xaomi.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    "Illusion Of Success" - Can't agree more! Like you 'won' and others didn't. Hah!
  • Yogesh Borkar
    Yogesh Borkar
    They are applying Pull Strategy for the Indian market. Less Supply thereby create more demand.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    abhijeetkhan
    Like every other new brand in the market, they want to create the excitement of owning such a phone and create the illusion of success! What Flipkart did with Motorola, its trying to replicate it with Xaomi.
    I am sure their marketing is going into right direction.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    A day after thousands buy Xiaomi Mi3, the company announces Mi4.
    That's right, pull your hair folks!
  • avii
    avii
    Its a marketing strategy and it works.

Another example: Google Domains.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Ankita Katdare
    It will take some time to reach Indian market but till then Mi3 is also not bad choice.
  • Root
    Root
    Ain't it cotton candy for 14,999? Quad core , 13 MP camera and 8 GB? What else is more attractive for an aspirant mobile user?

Already there are rumors across sites NSA /Google /CIA / RAW and other 3 letter spy agencies across the world are spying Indians - Special interest on our mp3 playlist and Sunny Leone photos we store in our mobile SD cards. Why should we refuse that opportunity to our dragonese neighbors?

( Just for fun - #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    Ankita Katdare
    Read that today. Thanks Xiaomi for the hearty laugh ๐Ÿ˜
  • Yogesh Borkar
    Yogesh Borkar
    abhijeetkhan
    Read that today. Thanks Xiaomi for the hearty laugh ๐Ÿ˜
    Now we are having chinese hearty laugh also.๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...and we've an interesting update! According to cyber exim's report, the total business Xiaomi has done in India is Rs. 134442817 on 17 July and Rs. 133113893 on 25th July. Dividing that by the price of the phone, Rs. 13999; you get only 19,112 devices sold!

mi3-shipments

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Yogesh Borkar
    Yogesh Borkar
    That's an awesome update! Finally we've been able to track down the number of Xiaomi Mi3 pieces sold in India by Flipkart and their marketing strategy of creating demand by showing availability of less pieces.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Though the phone is good considering the price point, but let's not forget it's a Chinese Company ๐Ÿ˜› with no after sale services.

Flipkart just trying to make people fool. For MotoE they did so much promotion, but it's price was very less, they quickly sold out many devices, but the truth is, most of those devices were returned back to Flipkart for one or the other issue. They decreased the quality of product.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Sanyam Khurana
    Though the phone is good considering the price point, but let's not forget it's a Chinese Company ๐Ÿ˜› with no after sale services.

Flipkart just trying to make people fool. For MotoE they did so much promotion, but it's price was very less, they quickly sold out many devices, but the truth is, most of those devices were returned back to Flipkart for one or the other issue. They decreased the quality of product.
    You might be right I have ordered MOTO G. Replced first time and about to replace second time.
  • Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Its just a strategy they are following, as I tried to buy the phone in the time slot they said. And it did not work. I guess its a marketing strategy. But my friend says he had a luck to get phone, and even for the before slot my other friend was in luck. I am guessing they might have released only 15k phones or something which might have sold it very fast similar like tatkal rail tickets system.
    Now I finally decided to buy in the Europe market which they have an international firmware. And do you guys know one more thing, the Mi3 has two versions, one with Qualcomm Snapdragon and one with NVIDIA also. The rate if compared to the Euro market is costly but they are giving the leather flipcover, car charger, stylus and screen gaurd along with it included. So if people want to buy they can buy from the Xiaomi webshop(China website) where they ship it free to India. But I do not understand the involvement of Flipkart in this process. Now Amazon invested 2Million for raising the Xiaomi phones. Its just the delivery dates may be different from these sites to the original web store.

Just reach this out to people who are waiting to buy this phone, they can buy from the Xiaomi(original website) instead of these marketing strategies followed by these people.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Its just a strategy they are following, as I tried to buy the phone in the time slot they said. And it did not work. I guess its a marketing strategy. But my friend says he had a luck to get phone, and even for the before slot my other friend was in luck. I am guessing they might have released only 15k phones or something which might have sold it very fast similar like tatkal rail tickets system.
    Now I finally decided to buy in the Europe market which they have an international firmware. And do you guys know one more thing, the Mi3 has two versions, one with Qualcomm Snapdragon and one with NVIDIA also. The rate if compared to the Euro market is costly but they are giving the leather flipcover, car charger, stylus and screen gaurd along with it included. So if people want to buy they can buy from the Xiaomi webshop(China website) where they ship it free to India. But I do not understand the involvement of Flipkart in this process. Now Amazon invested 2Million for raising the Xiaomi phones. Its just the delivery dates may be different from these sites to the original web store.

Just reach this out to people who are waiting to buy this phone, they can buy from the Xiaomi(original website) instead of these marketing strategies followed by these people.
    If you order from original website then it might cost you Import duty. That is why people choosing flipkart over original website.
  • Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Harshad Italiya
    If you order from original website then it might cost you Import duty. That is why people choosing flipkart over original website.
    Yeah. You are correct I totally forgot about that.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    @ALL , this might be a good read:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Well, this was expected, wasn't it?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Root
    Root
    Sanyam Khurana
    @ALL , this might be a good read:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    LMAO...!

Anyway, it was a seriously entertaining read. I never knew Indian English can go so colourful when we are really desperate. LOL!.

Only saving grace ( or sane mind ) I could see in the entire circus is that a guy who is so frustrated with the "5 seconds " went ahead and bought a BlackBerry Z3 for himself. I am sure that others also have gone to other brands as well ( Azuz, Micromax).

Too much..!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here's some news again -

Flipkart has started randomly canceling 'confirmed orders'.

Major tech blogs & forums as well as twitter users are reporting that many people got emails from Flipkart saying that there orders were cancelled. And the reasons seem really vague.

Check - tech.firstpost.com
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I guess the scarcity of stock is what Flipkart is suffering through. Flipkart actually cancelled the orders placed by its own employees through a secure internal link that provided them an unfair advantage. I guess Mi and Flipkart should work out a strategy to ensure that Mi fanboys get the device asap.
  • avii
    avii
    Ankita Katdare
    Here's some news again -

Flipkart has started randomly canceling 'confirmed orders'.

Major tech blogs & forums as well as twitter users are reporting that many people got emails from Flipkart saying that there orders were cancelled. And the reasons seem really vague.
    It's because people are placing multiple orders and selling them on OLX for higher prices.

source - know someone higher up in Flipkart. However their fraud detection system is not perfect.
  • Shihabudheen K
    Shihabudheen K
    avii
    Its a marketing strategy and it works.

Another example: Google Domains.
    But Google domains started working. I have got invitation n account. But currently it works only for USA residents.
  • avii
    avii
    ^I did not say GD is not working I mentioned that both are great marketing examples.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Looking for recommendations on the best 40" - 46" LED TV in India. The old Videocon box got broken and the repair guy says that the entire motherboard will have...
Synsoft Global, a mobile and web app development company based in India, has developed a new app called 'AUTOnCAB' for the Android and iOS platforms that lets the user hail...
So, there was a headline on Washington Post today morning that read - "Syrian death toll and extremist threat increases, but the U.S. does little" Random googling landed me up...
VILLAGES ARE THE NATURES GIFT IDEAS TO CONVERT THEM IN HEAVEN BY MEANS OF ENGINEERING??????????????????????