Flipkart Instant Delivery (3 Hours) - Will It Be A Game Changer?

Flipkart takes delivery of their products very seriously. They made their name in the eCommerce industry in India by delivering the products to customers within the promised time and when the volume of the orders grew; they even started their own logistics company (eKart Logistics Pvt. Ltd.) to eliminate the dependence on the courier companies. I'm not sure how important is quick delivery to the buyers, but Flipkart may just have enough numbers to show that the customers want instant delivery of the products they've ordered.

Flipkart's chalked out a plan to deliver the products instantly - within 3 hours of completion of online payment (or even CoD). Flipkart has been offering next day delivery across major cities throughout India and 'same day delivery' in metros and other high-volume destinations. The company wants to up their game and make the rivals look sluggish by offering deliveries in just 3 hours of placing the order. The plan, as I understand, is expected to roll out fully in the coming 4 to 6 months at select destinations.

I've been a Flipkart Prime subscriber (Rs. 500/year) and have been disappointed on several times. Most of the products sold by WS Retail (flipkart's own retail company) do not promise Next Day Delivery. Even the standard delivery takes >3-4 days and I'm absolutely not sure how is Flipkart going do address instant deliveries. For example, I placed an order for a camera in December and the shipment was stuck in Delhi for about 2 days. I canceled the order for a better deal.

Flipkart-Instant-Delivery

Deliver the product like it's a hot pizza: Super fast deliveries aren't new to the industry. Dominos has been promising '30 minutes, else free' for all their pizza shipments for a long time now and they've been doing it quite successfully. Flipkart will face the challenge of setting up warehouses close to the major cities where they promise this service and given the range of products they offer - it's definitely going to be huge challenge to find most appropriate locations.

The Price: I wonder whether people would actually pay a lot more to get the products instantly. Unlike vegetables and items that inherently come with very short expiry time; most of the products sold by Flipkart can wait - for a day or two. I'd like to ask all of you - how many of you would be willing to pay; say Rs. 149 or Rs. 199 more to get your products faster? I'd rather go and shop for the product myself than paying a premium. You might be aware - offering the products at a lower price than the competition isn't the crux of the game anymore!

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Paying premiums in case of -
    1. emergencies (like getting the tablet delivered before you board that flight next morning)
    2. for gifting someone (when you suddenly remember that the the birthday party is today evening and have to get that favorite book or perfume immediately delivered)

is a service that many people will enjoy.
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    If implemented in full pace, it would turn a game changer!! 😀
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    The history shows that people cant be manipulated over a limit. So i doubt about the success of flipkart's 3-4hrs promise.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Ankita Katdare
    (when you suddenly remember that the the birthday party is today evening and have to get that favorite book or perfume immediately delivered)
    Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday. We were called for a birthday party of someone from the US studying film making, who is here for a short visit. I ordered Renu Saran's "History of Indian Cinema" last evening. Delivered by Amazon by 12w noon today at no extra cost.
    Flipkart also has a hub quite near my office and delivers within 24 hrs most of the time.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I just have little confusions regarding the term abstract data type,although I have gone through google several times ,but still not yet satisfied . Firstly , why is this called...
Just before Christmas, Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers movie franchise commented on SNL that alleged North Korean hacking group Guardians of Peace should not have picked on Sony because...
Koushal Patel submitted a new project: Industrial Automation and Control - Controls various critical industrial parameters There are various parameters in the industries which are very critical. Some of the...
Koushal Patel submitted a new project: Uninterrupted power supply through solar source, mains, generator and inverter - Uninterrupted power supply This project is aimed to make uninterrupted power supply to...
ISRO had an eventful year in 2014 and is ready to kick off 2015 with IRNSS-1D launch. While the exact launch date for the IRNSS-1D is not known yet, it's...