Flash point ans self ignition temperature

how petrol has low flash point than diesel but on the other hand high auto ignition point than diesel?

Replies

• Velshankar MJ
    Velshankar MJ
    Auto ignition temperature depends on the chemical structure of the component and is depending on carbon chain breaking temperature. Hence petrol which is having some complex structure than diesel will require more temperature for chain breaking.
    Ignition will occur after chain breaking.Hence auto ignition temperature is higher than diesel.

But in case of fire point and flash point it depends on density of the fuel. Diesel has high density when compared with petrol. High density fuels will have higher flash and fire points. This why diesel has high flash point than petrol.
  • Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    Flash point and auto ignition point are completely two different things. Flash point is related to volatility of fuel while auto ignition point is related to the activation energy needed by the fuel for combustion. So, there is no point in comparing two things which have no relation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This is one of the best instrumentals I've come across, and boy, what a tribute! Have it on loop since morning. Just had to share it here 😀- https://soundcloud.com/paradigmshiftraaga/roja-a-tribute-to-a-r-rahman
I'm using Dev-cpp .Inorder to run graphics command in dev-cpp I included graphics package and bgi files in dev-cpp.But still I'm not able to run graphics command as it throws...
Its the latest trend in interview circle-Psychological tests. I had been to a interview recently. Interviewer says u will get a post of ASST Manager for your experience of 10...
Skype - the company now owned by Microsoft, has confirmed that their engineers are working on developing 3D video call facility. One of the senior executives of Skype unveiled the...
Recently IRCTC have stepped themselves in online shopping known as "SHOP.IRCTC" by, Extends their hand for shopping while booking tickets now people won't say the website is slow while in...