Firing in Mumbai - again

Its happening again. Terrorists armed with AK 47 have opened gunfire at 4 places in South Mumbai.

I'll update as I get more news.

Firing took place at following places: Cafe Leopold on Colaba Causeway, inside CST station and near Taj Hotel and Hotel Oberoi.

Update (1:05 am, 27 November): 16 Dead, 50+ injured.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    At least 15 have been injured - reports a television channel.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Now there is a blast in a taxi in Virle Parle
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    An AK-47. We had started a discussion on bomb detection robots some time ago. They have started using AK Assault Rifles.
    First lets analyze the situation
    1) The places where the terrorists have opened fire are crowded and have a number of hiding places
    2) Its a scenario for urban warfare.
    Weapon Used
    1) AK - 47 Assault Rifle. Gas Operated with Rotating Bolt action. Capable of firing 600 rounds/min. Has an effective range from 100-800m. Is easy to use and cheap to manufacture. Arguably the most durable and trustworthy weapon made.
    2) Hand Grenades. An explosive weapon that explodes a short time after release. Filled with shrapnels to increase damage.
    The time and venue may be preplanned but still this attack looks raw. It seems the terrorists are running out of ideas and are on the backfoot. Remember, the enemy attacks on two occasions
    1) when they're ready.
    2) when you're not.
    This attack proves that they are not completely ready. This is the right time to launch an offensive against these terror groups. It will be a great mistake if they are allowed to regroup and grow.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Boy! You've got some information. I saw on Discovery Channel that a company in US has manufactured bulletproof jacket that can survive any bullet and even a hand grenade.

They used shell-like structure to destroy any incoming bullet.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    The_Big_K
    Boy! You've got some information. I saw on Discovery Channel that a company in US has manufactured bulletproof jacket that can survive any bullet and even a hand grenade.

They used shell-like structure to destroy any incoming bullet.
    It helps when 90% of your family is in the armed forces, and it helps even more if 2 people from your family have retired as Generals. Analyzing battle plans and discussing warfare tactics, these are common at our family get-together.

About that bullet-proof jacket. Can you provide a link or some detail? I will try to find more about it myself also.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I will have to find the link. If anyone know the link, please post.

Anyone's got update on the firing?

PS: We won't develop weapons at CE.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Right.
    PS: Edited my post.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Right from yesterday night (1 a.m.) my cellphone inbox is flooded with messages from friends...asking me to watch those terrifying bomb blasts news on tv.

Right now, I am very scared of these blasts.
    I was staring at my television...:shock: and watching those innocents being killed.
    And the horror on peoples' faces running around.

It's just the feeling that you can get killed at any moment...gives me the drizzly effect! :sad:

Is there a solution to this?
    (Other than running away from our country :shifty😀
    Can't we be again free to roam around without slightest fear of death?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Around 100 people dead, more than 200 injured. They have brought a lot of ammunition. It seems they might be getting some help from a local source too. Bringing so much ammunition without getting noticed is quite difficult.
    They have attacked soft targets.
    As usual, all political leaders have condemned the attack and paid their condolences to the grieving families. And as usual nothing much will be done. I am sick and tired of the hypocrisy shown by the politicians. Waiting for the comments from our home minister. They are always the most ridiculous and more or less always the same.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    For how long will we keep keep on taking attacks. Gandhi once said that if someone hits you on the right side of your face, you should offer him the left side instead of hitting back. We should forget this and start attacking. Offense is the best form of defense. If you keep on defending, sooner or later the defenses fail, and the attacker will keep coming at you. One offensive move from your part and you can finish him once and for all. Why are our leaders so scared to go on an offensive. As I have said in an earlier post. If India does not attack, we allow them to regroup and grow and become even more powerful. And if they grow bigger, they may send armored battalions next.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    AbraKadabra
    Is there a solution to this?
    (Other than running away from our country :shifty😀
    Can't we be again free to roam around without slightest fear of death?
    If you run, we give the attackers the message that we are scared. They will increase the attacks. Death will come whenever it will come and is inevitable. So why fear death. If it is not your time to go, a bullet through your head will not kill you. The terrorists took us by surprise and that is why were able to do so much damage. When you take someone by surprise, you create panick in the mind of the opponent. This increases your effectiveness. This is what the terrorists hoped fa5r. To create panic and they have succeeded. Is this a failure in Intelligence? Can't we keep track on our enemy's movements? Does the government want the people to take up arms to defend themselves? We say that India is shining but what about the attacks on India? India is most effected by terrorism and still nothing much is done.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I saw the footage on TV and now even more hopeless than ever before. Look at the way our armed forces act. Half of them are sluggishly moving around; the other half are 'in their positions' while people are roaming around them as if they are in a garden.

Political leaders suck. Not a single politician, including our Prime Minister, looks active. All they do is condemn the attacks - and everyone else forgets. People move on with the 'spirit of Mumbai' and labels like 'Mumbai Meri Jaan' [Translate: Mumbai - my life.].
  • docel
    docel
    Oh boy.....this is bad!!:-(

Explosions @ Taj, again........
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I hope Mayur and all other CEans from Mumbai are fine.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't understand why its taking the police to gun down those terrorists.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ATS Chief did that,Encounter specialiat did that! they are now"Shaheed"( Died a Patrotic death)

How many of the police force do you think are ready to fight a face to face battle??
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Was our Navy so weak that they could not notice inturders??

I came to know the so called responbility letter have been written in regional language (hindi), and news say they have intruded from karachi through watrer ways...

so where's the navy?

How could they hijack a Police jeep??
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    @Durga: Coast Guard is responsible here not the Navy. The Navy does not check vessels unless and until told. Without any internal help such a thing is quite difficult to pull off. And anyway checking each and every vessel at sea is quite difficult. There are a lot of fishermen on fishing boats. Many small/medium vessels. Thats why piracy and smuggling at sea is easier than on air and land.
    @Biggie: The initial losses were expected because the attackers had the element of surprise with them and they attacked soft targets. But it is taking a lot of time now.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Man, this is terrible stuff 😔
  • Lock-Os
    Lock-Os
    Well, as for the politicians doing nothing but offering condolences, nothing really else can be done until India requests help. Even then, keep in mind that politicians the world over really aren't the brightest or best equipped to handle any kind of problem. Their only true purpose is to look pretty and be popular. NO politician is going to risk his career on telling people what they don't want to hear even if it will get the job done. Really, politics is just one big popularity contest nowadays.

This is just madness. The only reason they kill people is so that they can scare them into doing thier bidding. If they really wanted to kill you, they would be all over the place in alleys and in buildings going on a mass murder spree. Really, it's just a sick twisted version of somebody trying to get their own way and create fear to get what they want.

The only way to fight this is to get the media to stop reporting on this 24 /7. Yes, I know it's important. but when they keep on going on and on about it, then the terrorists have won. They population will be terrified and go running to their useless politicians screaming for them to do something. To calm the populace and make themselves look the hero, they will order a superficial quick investigation and order a misguided and unfocused attack on the terrorists, thus causing major damage to the innocent people unknowingly surrounding the terrorists. The terrorists will then use the innocent's death to demonize the government, and thus secure their positions and bolster their numbers, ready to attack once again.

So what can the average person do? Well, realize the true propose of the attack and do the opposite of what they want. Two ways this can manifest itself on a personal leval is to minimise watching TV coverage of the attack. The media wants to make monney, not report the news. If they did want to turely report the news, they wouldn't repeat themselves every few minuets. By turning the T.V off, you show them that you don't see it as entertaining and thus reduce their tendency to dramatize the coverage, making people less afraid and more informed.

The other more drastic method is to make the 'soft' targets not so soft. I don't know gun ownership rights in India but arming, or better yet armoring average people makes them less soft and gives a sense of security or at least courage in the face of terror. Remember, our enemy is as human as we are. They would be surprised and afraid if the 'soft' targets they were attacking turned out to fight back.

I just hope things get better and this isn't the start of more attacks. Good luck to all the people in Bombay / Mumbai. They need it right now.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I agree with you Lock. The media is creating more panic than anything else. Instead of showing the coverage 24*7, they should give the news once every 4 hours or so. I find the newspaper to be the best medium nowadays. At least they don't commercialize the news.
    Getting an arms license is not easy in India. It is costly and you have to pass through various stages. The max of the gun owners in India don't have licenses. They use crude weapons made in small factories many established in homes. This is usually the case in rural areas. Gun ownership is made difficult because of the number of honor and vendetta killings each year in these place(where crude guns are available). But as you can see the law is just on paper and is/can be properly implemented only in metros and cities.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well,Laws are meant to be broken!!!,the incidents is Mumbai is one of the terror attacks in India every 3 months terror attack takes place,and time has come for taking some evasive action instead of pleasing every person or community or country in this world,or else,make a daily habit!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm almost sick of hearing the words 'The spirit of Mumbai'. The country needs to fight back!

Mumbai is the financial capital of India and is an easy target. That said, the security is almost a joke. There have been several occasions I've brought the security holes to the attention of security personnels - but then, they tell you to mind 'your business'.

Even more wonderful (sarcastic) is to see the security being 'stepped up' every time "AFTER" the attack happens. Why isn't the security always stepped up?
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    People in India seek pleasure in everyway and their "Chalta Hian"(lienency) attitude is a major setback,the authorities are themselve are tense and common man has no social responsibility these things are bound to happen,no one like to follow the rules
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    We salute the brave officers who laid down their lives in protecting us and our country including HEMANT KARKARE,ASHOK KAMTE & VIJAY SALASKAR.Pray for our forces who are still fighting the terrorists without thinking about their lives and family just for us.
  • asadullah.ansar
    asadullah.ansar
    What's happennig in mumbai...? Who is root cause of it ? i wanna ask to these all people living in India ... No one can do such like as If you have no hole in your country. First mazor issue in this country is security..No security system is in india. No database of people in india...Any one can come from other country they can make easily such identity proof like raution card etc. What i mean to say any terrorists cannt do anything without any help of indian people. I thought we have some hole , we are allowing to them to do this. We means all indian citizens including politics also.

what do you think terrorists just came to india and start firing in mumbai...Obsolutly no...Offcourse they already stayed in some place in india itself..The place they stayed ???? Dont tell us no one knows about the place where they were living, they are planning etc before firing... So i request to all true people from india please work together...Dont listen any politician words, they are doing just for shake of their popularity. Think about your life ...Can anyone save your life when terrorist are firing... Dont believe on our bhig G8 politicians atleast...If you are giving place to any terrorists then it's 100% sure that one day will come they will attack on you directly...Because No religion , No cast, No humanity allows this sort of event(terrorists).

Make yourself good and true citizen of india. Take the responsibility of nation. Beleive in GOD , beleieve in human beings, respect to all religions across world. Dont listen of any politians. Politicians can also brainwash to your brain same as terrorists are doing to some indians people for doing this sort of event(firing, blasts etc).

Reason of terrorist is we....If you are true then no one can come and start firing, bumb blasts etc...So guys please atleast change yourself from new generation atleast....
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    komputergeek
    We salute the brave officers who laid down their lives in protecting us and our country including HEMANT KARKARE,ASHOK KAMTE & VIJAY SALASKAR.Pray for our forces who are still fighting the terrorists without thinking about their lives and family just for us.
    With all due respect to the officers and their bravery, what were they doing when the terrorists came in? doping? They are supposedly the top brass of ATS. Instead of giving away their lives, they could have easily averted the attack. Do police always have to act only after the attack?

Shame on our security system.
    Yet another terror attack… who cares? | Mayur's blog
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Reports of fresh firing at the CST station are coming up. I wonder why are the police not able to catch them.
  • asadullah.ansar
    asadullah.ansar
    mayurpathak
    Reports of fresh firing at the CST station are coming up. I wonder why are the police not able to catch them.
    What I observed police & military all are excuting their plane sserially ..They are not excuting their planes in parallel... 😔

One thing more why media is telecasting all secret informations by TV how commando are landing to roof of ...Terrorists and its helper also can see this things...I dont not for their popularity and money they are doing...But for country shake they have not to show this sort of informations, images etc.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    mayurpathak
    Latest reports say that there was no firing at CST. These news channels are spreading the rumor - faster than anyone else.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Ah is it? I have no access to the television here in office. I'm really sorry.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Do any of you have Twitter? Apparently it seems to be the source of a lot of info. Unfortunately, some are quite inaccurate.. and may create panic. Double edge sword, I'm guessing.

I believe there is a name list of deaths and injuries out on the net too.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I was justing watching the news and frankly speaking I am sick of the news reporters. The Police Commissioner was at the the Taj and was giving a briefing of the situation inside. One of the reporters, she asked the most stupid question ever heard. The question was and I quote
    Sir, are you sure they are terrorists?
    What are they then, some kids firing from their water guns?*sarcastically*
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Buddy,the pictures air by news channel is important,it will make poeple realisize the truth,its high time and m sure poeple in India will retaliate,no one can make fun of India.....and for your information police aint as heavily equipped as military and army nevers allows anyone to interfere in its operation!!!...hope this clears your doubts
    asadullah.ansar
    What I observed police & military all are excuting their plane sserially ..They are not excuting their planes in parallel... 😔

One thing more why media is telecasting all secret informations by TV how commando are landing to roof of ...Terrorists and its helper also can see this things...I dont not for their popularity and money they are doing...But for country shake they have not to show this sort of informations, images etc.
  • aashima
    aashima
    NSG did a great job!

Worst terrorist activity ever! And it horribly continued for 2 and half days! That is too long for any operation! But then cmon guys, NSG can't be blamed. They did the best that could be done. They have so many reasons for taking so long to combat the situation.

1. The terrorists knew complete terrain of the hotel as they were monitoring and living in the premises for the last 10 months (as is told in the news) while NSG commandos were probably entering the giant structure which comprises of about 4000 rooms for the first time! How can we expect them to beat the enemies in matter of seconds operating in an area which took their enemies themselves 10 months to get hold on!
    2. They used to change their positions too frequently which required the commandos to change their strategies accordingly which takes time.
    3. There was a constant suspicion of possibility of hostages being with them. So they could not bomb them or open firing at them blindly. They had to move at their pace.
    4. The desperadoes were given vigorous training for 6 long months and its said that they even rehearsed the entire scene at their end before the final execution. In contrast, our government pays least possible or for that matter, you can say nothing for the training of the cops and these kind of groups. They could not help being lesser efficient but they still fought and won the battle.
    5. Media was told time and again to abstain from covering the news with intense details and to abandon the area. But in a democratic constitution like ours, police can only request them to do so, it does not have the right to enforce them for the same. Many channels co-operated while many refused!

The 14 cops and 2 NSG commandos who died were the ones who payed for the corrupt government and flawed coastal security system's loopholes and mistakes. May their souls rest in peace.
    I salute NSG for their commendable job!
  • bogart
    bogart
    There's reports that Pakistain is moving 100,000 troops from Afganistain border to India border.
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    That's what is boiling in me... Anger!!!

Its sad that the entire episode has left a feeling of fear in the minds of every individual in mumbai as well as the tourists. The real heores as they are rightly accoladed-The NSG commandos, the police risked their lives and saved as many as they could with the good old world war two weapons! My salute to their will and courage.
    Everyone expects ( and it will happen) that every citizen will be back to normalcy from tomorrow.But I feel 'The spirit of Mumbai' has changed its face this time because these two days were worst than hell. Like many others I too was glued to my T.V. set ( unlike myself who prefer to stay away from the idiotic box) I saw the blood shed, the demon like human beings and the aftermath devilish( as if the attack was like any other, its nothing new! such things are bound to happen!) reaction by the top officials of this country .
    For the integrity and peace of the financial capital (for that matter any state/place) it goes unsaid that the safety of its citizen is the first priority of the officials. Just like the state allows a dozen of security guards around these officials. Its a shame that they can't respect the security of those who have awarded them the posts whose roles these officials convinently forget. Its really a pain that their roles have to be reminded to them so also their priorities.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Home minister resigns..

Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil has sent his resignation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday morning owning moral responsibility for the Mumbai terror strikes. It's believed that this move came from the party insiders of Congress.

Palaniappan Chidamabaram replaces Shivraj Patil and will be India's new home minister.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will hold additional charge as finance minister.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well I think everything is a political drama,aftre every attack big promises are made watsoever,this country has lost trust over its politicians but there is stilla hope from the administration and the judiciary...hope for the best,instead of crying,let us prevent any terror attacks in any part of india!!! get your act together guys!!!!
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    There is news coming in that even Home Minister of Maharashtra Mr. R R Patil has offered to resign.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

guys i want to install linux on my pc can anyone tell me how shud i begin from installation to commands whether my pc supports linux 😁
CEans, I hope you must have noticed the thread tags feature newly introduce to CE. Thread tags are the keywords that can be used to identify the discussion and help...
The title says it, looking to hire a small group of final year students lead by experienced faculty, to take my concept device to a working prototype. Multidisciplinary expertise needed;...
This thread is deleted by me- dont want "Tech info" to be in a Junkyard!
hi , anybody who reads this please tell me wher can i find jsdk2.0 servlet runner for download bcos my exams r nearing n i ve to practice my java...