Fingerprints To Unlock Your Phone

"Innovation? My Ass!", said Apple's Phil Schiller and boy, the engineers at Apple are indeed working on something really awesome. A recently published patent application on USPTO official website reveals that Apple's working on technology that will unlock your phone by scanning your fingerprint. If the technology does finally make it to the phones (read iPhones & iPads), the 'Slide To Unlock' will quickly become a thing of past. The title of the patent application is "Finger sensor having pixel sensing circuitry for coupling electrodes and pixel sensing traces and related methods".

slide
Image Credit: Dvice​
If you read through the application, it's really interesting. It talks about stacking a fingerprint sensor with the whole or a part of the LCD display. It can also be used as a method of input and also in conjunction with other circuitry to support other functions. The fingerprint sensor will work by measuring the electric flux and when not being used for the designated purpose, it can also be incorporated into other regular touchscreen operations.

The patent was filed on January 17, 2013 and we're sure that a lot of work's already been done on the sensor. We look forward to the technology making it to the phones by the time iPhone 7 or iPhone 8 comes out.

What do you think about using fingerprints to unlock phone?

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    A lot of fake fingerprint scanner or locker in android market.Hope the real one comes soon to android platform.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    CSK AUTO
    A lot of fake fingerprint scanner or locker in android market.Hope the real one comes soon to android platform.
    Nope, this one seems to be real and it won't need a camera to function. They're planning to setup the fingerprint scanner inside the touch-display itself so that the user can use it when the phone is locked.

I doubt this is coming to the Android anytime soon.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I think Phil stole my quote!
    Proof : #-Link-Snipped-#
    I should've copyrighted that quote & sue 'em 😉
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think he reads posts on CE before preparing for the address.
  • Mehak Rajkhokar
    Mehak Rajkhokar
    If this technology is about to come.. then i am more than eager to test it myself...!! 😀
  • divya_miya
    divya_miya
    is there any way of compromising fingerprint if it is used frequently to unlock the code...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    divya_miya
    is there any way of compromising fingerprint if it is used frequently to unlock the code...
    Well, as long as things are controlled by the software - you can always do manipulations. It's not clear how dependent this system is on the software.

I'm also guessing that surpassing the security will always be an option - only that it needs to be discovered. It's difficult to say that about this system just right away.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well if histogram method is used to simulate your finger print then the error rate will be less

But we leave our finger prints in too many places and our young minds Know how to recover them easily without any difficulty 😎
  • Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    If stacking of sensors all over LCD makes inconvenience to people who rotate their phones with fingers😁
  • Ahsanul haque
    Ahsanul haque
    Now hijacker stole iPhone 5S Home Button To Act As Fingerprint Scanner As Well and owner finger as well. hehehe 😁
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Ahsanul haque
    Now hijacker stole iPhone 5S Home Button To Act As Fingerprint Scanner As Well and owner finger as well. hehehe 😁

hahahahaahahaha Very funny. 😁 Well this tech is already coming in Iphone 5S it seems.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), an estimated 347 million people worldwide have diabetes. Patients have been using blood glucose monitoring devices to check whether they are in need...
For a life threatening disease like cancer precision and speed could mean the difference between life and death. In a regular tumour removal surgery like lumpectomy, patients have to spend...
I want to build my own application that will make it possible to send and receive files directly between computers on a LAN, but i don't know where to start...
Reliance Digital Sucks!​ Wrong corporate practices, the worst consumer support and service and the most pathetic brand you can ever imagine to buy even a single product is Reliance Digital....
Queries and drawbacks about the laptop that you bought recently (Couple of months ago) Max 6 months. 1.Brand (Mac, Sony, Dell, .etc) : 2.Spec (i3, i5, i7, .etc) : (Win...