Facebook like button picking up wrong image - Solution?

A lot of website owners are facing the issue that whenever they use Facebook like button, when the article link gets shared on their walls/timelines, the wrong image gets picked up.

From what I am reading, it is sometimes the 'first image' on the page that gets picked up by Facebook. There should certainly be a way of defining a specific image that Facebook like button should pick up by default OR pick up the biggest image in an article that is logically the one that should be shared alongside the link.

The 'og:url' ['og:title', 'og:description', 'og:image'] property should be explicitly provided, even if a value can be inferred from other tags.

I've just seen the info about possible FB pic size requirements. But in most of the cases the pics are inserted into the post and are 700px by the longer side.

Anyone knows any solution for this?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# Anyone knows a solution?
  • avii
    avii
    you are right, facebook should pick up 'og:image' or else most likely some issue with new theme/mark up/CSS.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# Anyone knows a solution?
    Well I am not sure about this. To be honest still I am not sure what you are asking. 😐
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    avii
    you are right, facebook should pick up 'og:image' or else most likely some issue with new theme/mark up/CSS.
    Instead of setting a 'single' image in og:image property, can't we have the value change dynamically? i.e. It should take a different image from every link's content being shared.
  • avii
    avii
    ^it can be dynamic. take example of wordpress blogs, the image can be anything for each post and it will be just thrown from database to the post content (or HTML markup)
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Please tell me few things,
    1: Does the page that user will like require login ?
    2: Please make sure you have following tags set in following way

3: Still don't work then Please post results of this page for the page that you are trying to share

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The problem exists for all the CE pages. Try sharing any article on VoiCE using the 'Like' button.

Will check the meta tags soon.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Ok Above tags are not defined there for Voice Articles, just set the image url through meta tags you wanna display in shared article

It will do
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Looks like the problem is fixed. 😀
    #-Link-Snipped-# Can you share the solution here?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Looks like the problem is fixed. 😀
    #-Link-Snipped-# Can you share the solution here?
    Please confirm it on multiple posts both on VoiCE articles and regular threads with images in first post. Any image in the second post onwards won't be considered for sharing. Instead user's avatar will be picked up.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The solution lies in simply passing on the correct image. In our case, we pass on the attachment in the first post (each of our VoiCE posts have an image attachment) as the og:image parameter. Since we're explicitly passing on the image URL to Facebook, it picks up the first attached image, as we expect.

If the thread or article does not have an image, it will pick up user avatar. We may default it to CrazyEngineers Logo. However, our most shared content is our VoiCE posts.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Yep! You heard it right. Telecom Partner MTS has launched a new smartphone in India- Blaze 5.0 with an offer which gives 100,000 MB (97.65 GB) of free data for...
With the emerging trend of wearable technology, companies like Samsung are continuously looking to iterate upon existing technology and improve them. Samsung’s recent patent shows that Samsung aims to develop...
Hello everyone. 😀 I need some help here. I've just completed 1st year(2nd sem) of mechanical engineering, and I was thinking about preparing for GATE. So, I want some suggestion...
Here is some news that might offer some respite for people with Type-1 diabetes. Boston University's researchers have 'bionic' pancreas that automatically regulate blood glucose level. People with type 1...
Worldwide obesity has nearly doubled since 1980. In 2008, more than 1.4 billion adults were found overweight. Of these, over 200 million men and nearly 300 million women were obese....