Facebook Legacy Contact - An Heir To Manage Your Account Post-Death

A recent feature addition from Facebook lets select users to assign control of their FB accounts to their loved ones upon their death, to basically help cope the person with some cherished memories and share the grieve with a few close contacts. It has been a while since Facebook introduced the 'Memorialization' option which locks a deceased user's account and prevents his profile from appearing in other people's timelines. The latest Legacy feature, starting in US with other countries soon in trot, lets users choose who among their friends or family shall enjoy limited control over their account in the event of their death. A name can be chosen from the account's security settings (Settings --> Security --> Legacy Contact), and an optional message could be sent to the chosen one, or more aptly, to the Facebook Heir.

facebook-after-death ​

An unusual inheritance, sure, but Facebook believes that this could be a very useful model when announcing a person's memorial service, or to share a special message with the deceased's friends. The "heir" could even accept friend requests and update the deceased's profile picture and cover photo. To cut down the creeps, the word 'Remembering' shall appear above the name of person who's died.

If permitted by the user in the Legacy Contact, the heir could even download an archive of user's pictures, status updates/posts and profile information shared online. Other settings shall stay unchanged as it were before the account was put under Memorialization. The Legacy contact cannot login as the person who passed away or sneak at the person's private messages. They won't even be able to download/export the list of deceased's contacts. So there, not all chapters of the deceased's life shall be published.

Facebook Legacy Contact could be, in practice, quite upsetting though it has its utility. It's better if the heir could have an option to get the account deleted after some time, to wash away whatever digital residue the dead left behind. Peace.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

One of the five that made it to the top. Won US$10grand. Quote: A tribute to the fast growing Ultimate Frisbee community in India and the spirit and camaraderie shared...
Why would the search-giant keep quite when Apple introduced Apple Pay? Surely, the tech town was anticipating that Google isn’t far away from introducing a similar tap-to-pay payment system. Reportedly,...
Google's bringing their balloon powered Internet project (aka Project Loon) to India. The Internet search giant has said that it's working with the Government of India to explore the possibility...
So I was talking to a few of my old friends who lost touch after they went abroad and are around the city only once a couple of years for...
kaustubh sir will u plz tell me hw to quote anyone personally and hw to download anything..........i am nt able to do...πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”