Facebook Facilitates Tor Browser Access To Its Website With .Onion Domain

Facebook and anonymity have never gone hand-in-hand. A social networking website always needs access to your personal information in order to offer you its services. Facebook has been trying to provide secure access to its website for years. First it made HTTPS browsing as an option and later mandatory. Facebook has now joined hands with Tor aka The Onion Router to build a Tor network accessible domain that will protect a user’s anonymity. Facebook has always been reluctant in the past to provide seamless access to Tor network users. The Tor network’s way of protecting user privacy is to make him/her appear from a different location every time. This activity of appearing from a different country with each log-in is considered by Facebook as a botnet’s attempt to hack someone account and it promptly blocks the user’s access.

Facebook

Facebook’s Onion address #-Link-Snipped-# works only on Tor-enabled browsers and maintains all the cryptographic protection mechanisms provided by Tor. The aforementioned Onion address is an acronym for “Facebook's Core WWW Infrastructure”. This means that Tor users will now be able to connect to Facebook’s datacenters from their browsers. Facebook took care of Tor Browser's “SSL Certificate” warning by adding an SSL certificate which authenticates the address. Facebook has launched this service on an experimental basis and will be working on bringing a stripped-down mobile accessible onion domain soon.

Tor

This move by Facebook has met with mixed response. While some people are applauding others remain skeptical about it. Where do you stand on this issue? Let us know in the comment section below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• ManojKiran Eda
    ManojKiran Eda
    This is really an interesting move of facebook.Because some part of the users of facebook still feel that facebook is a problem for their privacy.I think this move will definitely make these users happy.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am trying to make this automatic rain cover system that extends a shade for my dog, when it is raining, but there is some electrode shown in the circuit...
Samsung has been constantly criticised for its done-to-death plastic designs. Samsung fanatics find it difficult to distinguish between Galaxy Grand and Galaxy S IV from couple of feet away. Considering...
Q:-1)Is there any difference between Void getdata(void) and void getdata() in c++??? Q:-2)In C, void display()-empty parantheses implies any number of argument.this is also true in c++??? pls reply
You heard it right. This is the application developed by few awesome devs which will let you download any app's apk directly on PC. Source : https://codingteam.net/project/googleplaydownloader/download/file/googleplaydownloader-1.4.tar.gz Go compile !!!
It's been several weeks since we started shipping out CrazyEngineers T-Shirts. I've been wearing it at almost all the places I went to : family functions, malls, social gatherings, seminars,...