Facebook Curates Your News Feed Depending On The Time You Spend On Posts

If you are spending more time going through the posts of a certain friend on Facebook, you will soon be seeing more of his/her posts on your News Feed. Facebook has announced that it will be taking into to consideration the viewing time of previous posts while hand-crafting your News Feed. Up until now Facebook used to monitor your likes, comments and shares on posts of other people to make sure that the newer posts from those people appear prominently on your News Feed. Ansha Yu and Sami Tas, two Software Engineers at Facebook explain to us now the social networking website takes viewing time per post into consideration.

Facebook

Calculating viewing time per post isn’t as simple as introducing a digital timer in the code. While someone might have spent have spent a minute or more on a post because of his/her interest in the topic, someone else might have spent the same amount of time on a post because he/she was waiting for the photo to load on a painfully slow 2G connection. So how does Facebook know that a certain post is of your liking? It employs a relative algorithm, by checking how much time you spend on a certain post as compared to others. For example most of us like to go through our News Feed liking posts and we often stop scrolling to check out a certain post whether it’s a regular post or a post pertaining to some trending topic. Facebook will take into account that specific post even if we haven’t liked or commented on it just because you spent more time on it instead of others.

This new criterion of sorting your news feed will be rolling out in the coming weeks. If you are a Facebook Page owner, the company assures that this will not affect the distribution of content.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The master plan is to find out what kind of ads you are likely to click on more.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Take an example that one of my friend / forum / group is not very active on FB for a while and posts some pics / timeline notes / NEWS on one fine day.

So, after the new update from Facebook, will FB show those feeds, as the time spent by me on those posts were zero???
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Rajni Jain
    Take an example that one of my friend / forum / group is not very active on FB for a while and posts some pics / timeline notes / NEWS on one fine day.
    Those posts will appear but not higher on the News Feed.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The master plan is to find out what kind of ads you are likely to click on more.
    Plot twist... User already installed Adblock. 😉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I need some help regarding Ac machine stator winding diagram. i know some data and i have mentioned below: poles =4, pitch angle=165 electrical degree, breadth between slots =15 electrical...
World's largest, favorite and crowd-edited online encyclopedia, Wikipedia is now more secure with HTTPS. HTTPS is 'HTTP Secure' - an Internet protocol that ensures secure communication over a computer network...
Any ordinary Y-Y transformer and an ideal phase shifting Y-Y transformer are connected as in figure. 1.0 per unit voltage at a power factor of 0.87 lagging. Determine a phase...
Please Help me Ma'am...... I am physically Handicapped and am pursuing my BE in Computer Engineering from Pune University. I want your guidance for my problem: 1. Will I get...
Tagged as the world's best selfie phone (tested by strategy Analytics), Sony Xperia C4 has recently made its grand appearance in the Indian Android phone market. Launched in May 2015,...