EXPERIMENTAL STUDY ON COPPER SLAG AS PARTIAL SUBSTITUTE FOR FINE AGGREGATE IN BITUMINOUS CONCRETE

Project Abstract / Summary : Rapid industrialization and large scale infrastructural development in India, has resulted in huge scarcity of construction materials. Use of waste materials like copper slag would definitely solve this problem to an extent and would definitely provide an alternative to conventional materials. Also, the limited use of these materials has created huge heap of waste dumps inside the plant premises causing environmental pollution. The copper slag (CS) is produced as waste from roasting of copper in which sulphur is eliminated. Copper slag was used as a fine aggregate in the design of bituminous mix as a new experiment and was found to be successful.

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : I had a dream from my first semester of Engineering to research on an entirely new topic. According to me, Transportation Engineering is one among the most important branches of civil which is so helpful for the entire society. While searching the problems in transportation field, i noticed that the scarcity of materials, high cost and less durability was a main issue. Thus i investigate and obtained an idea of replacing the fine aggregate in BC by copperslag. As copper slag is a waste material obtained from copper industry, it is of less cost and the study done at KERALA HIGHWAY RESEARCH INDUSTRY , Trivandrum revealed that it is more durable than ordinary mix.

Project Highlights : This is an entirely new research topic and the practical applying of this study will surely helps in reducing the construction cost of roads, reduce mining to a certain extent by decreasing use of FA, helps in waste disposal in the copper industry and also increases the durability of roads. The research done at KHRI was succesfull and the PWD, Trivandrum had considered my project for practical application in the roads of Kerala after a further investigation. So, i strongly believes that this is a better invention that will be useful for the whole society and saves the economy of our nation.

Project Category : Civil / Structural
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: KVM COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, CHERTHALA
City: ALAPPUZHA
State: KERALA
Participating Team From: Final Year

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : This is an Advanced Vehicle Tracking Security System with Theft Control and Accident Notification which is designed to reduce the risk involved in losing the...
Project Abstract / Summary : The most important aspect of today's world is to conserve energy. Cooling systems is one of the appliances that consume a large amount of power....
Sony recently launched a lineup of XQD and SD mediacard along with QDA-SB1, a USB XQD adapter and companion accessories like an XQD/SD Card reader .The company quotes that the...
Project Abstract / Summary : Automated Manual Quadrotor with Live Aerial Surveillance ​ The project deals with employing a quadrotor for the purpose of live aerial surveillance. It can be...
Project Abstract / Summary : Sir In world most of medical waste are disposing like medicine . especially in india, in that we have many chemicals in it .if we...