EU & Japan Hoping For 100Gbps Fiber Optic Networks Through STRAUSS Project

You know what? Google's 1Gbps optic fiber network is a thing of the past already. What's cool is 100Gbps Internet. Japan and European Union have embarked on a series of research projects that'd redefine the connectivity forever. The STRAUSS project - will aim for development of a 100Gbps fiber optic network. Once developed, it would offers 5000 times the average internet connection speed Europe and Japan are getting at present. The project involves research on optical packet switching technology, optical transceivers and other hardware components working in sync with a new control software. EU and Japan will donate €18 million to the project. Both countries expect that the web traffic will grow 12x in the next 5 years.

The SRAUSS project stands for scalable and efficient orchestration of ethernet services using software-defined and flexible optical networks. It will aim to define a high efficiency, global optical fiber network for ethernet transport.

strauss

The project will particularly focus on developing cost and energy efficient switching nodes, flexi-grid DWDM optical circuit switching technology and long haul transport along with development of integrated and highly scalable software systems to control the networks etc.

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I have used the 1GBPS.
    Oh Man! can't tell you the what a experience it was.

I never used internet much faster than that. I was just wondering that do we have any limits on our wish. I was thinking that there is nothing in the world that would require more than 1GBPS.

Do we really need 100 GBPS, or it is just to prove that they are GREATT?

-CB
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    crazyboy
    I have used the 1GBPS.
    Oh Man! can't tell you the what a experience it was.

I never used internet much faster than that. I was just wondering that do we have any limits on our wish. I was thinking that there is nothing in the world that would require more than 1GBPS.

Do we really need 100 GBPS, or it is just to prove that they are GREATT?

-CB
    I don't think 100 GBps line will be used by an individual economically Mostly a firm may set their servers up using these lines to provide faster access to their Customers

Still 100GBps can't be utilised properly now by any action online
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, we would definitely need 100 Gbps. Imagine the kind of bandwidth we'd need to stream 4k or 8k streams in future. My prediction is that the we would always need a faster Internet connection than what's currently available. I think engineers will quickly discover the ways of using all the bandwidth available.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, we would definitely need 100 Gbps. Imagine the kind of bandwidth we'd need to stream 4k or 8k streams in future. My prediction is that the we would always need a faster Internet connection than what's currently available. I think engineers will quickly discover the ways of using all the bandwidth available.
    Agreed!
    As the resolution of the Monitor/TV screen increases, we'll need higher bandwidth internet.
    But, I believe that if 12-16 Mbps bandwidth is capable of streaming 1080p without buffering, then for 4K resolution; 48 or 64 Mbps (12 or 16 x 4 times) is capable of streaming the video.

100Gbps is more than required.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's more than required at now, just like people thought 64kb RAM would be more than enough just a few years ago. In the last decade itself, which I witnessed, the growth in tech has been exceptional. I think we'd find out ways to make 100Gbps look not enough.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    There is no limit for engineering.
    The only thing that harpens me is how is it useful for a individual usage.It may increase the efficiency of servers.But what to do ?
    The answer may be the development of higher end devices mor than 4g
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The breakthrough here is not the 100Gbps. Telco vendors have already developed equipment (with DWDM & SDH, etc) achieving these throughput with optical DSPs, and are now aiming for commercialization 400Gbps in a year or two. In fact, 800Gbps has already been started in trials.

What this research focuses is on cost, software control and virtualization of optical packet based infrastructure for EU & Japan industries and academia.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    As communication through internet keeps booming, we'd definitely need more bandwidth. The future of communication lies with VoIP and thus you can imagine a more stable and larger infrastructure requirement in the near future. Most of our telecom companies are already using VoIP to gain profits. The international market is definitely a huge playground with competition heating up with big players every single day!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    anoopthefriend
    As communication through internet keeps booming, we'd definitely need more bandwidth. The future of communication lies with VoIP and thus you can imagine a more stable and larger infrastructure requirement in the near future. Most of our telecom companies are already using VoIP to gain profits. The international market is definitely a huge playground with competition heating up with big players every single day!
    Agreed, VoIP works very well with global interconnects. However, on mobile networks, the challenge still lies with using VoIP on the air interface with reliability. On LTE networks, VoLTE would probably be the more reliable choice than VoIP by virtue of dedicated QoS & upcoming VoLTE dedicated hardware.

Btw anoop, in your VoIP work, are you monitoring a mix of SIP & H.323 traffic? Which one is the most popular in your network so far?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    ash
    Btw anoop, in your VoIP work, are you monitoring a mix of SIP & H.323 traffic? Which one is the most popular in your network so far?
    H.323 uses full proxy transport of media and is used mostly for video conferencing. I've used SIP more which transports mainly the signal and is used widely for voice communications along with certain codecs such as G.729, G.729A, G.729B and G.729A/B. #-Link-Snipped-# is a good comparison of SIP vs H.323.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    anoopthefriend
    H.323 uses full proxy transport of media and is used mostly for video conferencing. I've used SIP more which transports mainly the signal and is used widely for voice communications along with certain codecs such as G.729, G.729A, G.729B and G.729A/B. #-Link-Snipped-# is a good comparison of SIP vs H.323.
    I see, so mostly SIP based. I asked because I used to work with VoIP as well in 2010, and back then we interconnected both SIP & H.323 (from G.711 to G.729 codecs). It was a mess and a headache. I was hoping the landscape has changed by now. So I suppose more providers are moving entirely to SIP? That would help accelerate VoIP interconnects.

What SBCs are your company using?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    ash
    I see, so mostly SIP based. I asked because I used to work with VoIP as well in 2010, and back then we interconnected both SIP & H.323 (from G.711 to G.729 codecs). It was a mess and a headache. I was hoping the landscape has changed by now. So I suppose more providers are moving entirely to SIP? That would help accelerate VoIP interconnects.

What SBCs are your company using?

Mediacore and AcmePacket. Yes, SIP is mostly used as far as I've seen. We've a trans-coding device to transfer all codecs to G.729. However, we'll soon be trying out on the media part as well.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Many of my friends are businessman and somehow believes that Credit Card are so much of a danger to the society. They or their dad's believe that credit cards calls...
Well for any miracle to happen with processing speed or memory or pixel We need to replace the current technology completely And what exactly is current technology It is CMOS...
A pick up that has great potential Not in India But in countries around the world This new beast of a car from Callaway is truly a wonder when we...
Challenging the present technology to redesign what was a past technology lets us analyse closely whether the development of a technology will be its boon or bane. What has actually...
July and the launch of CEoM contest has made CE more lively than ever before. It feels like we are back in 2005-2006 when there were just a few CEans...