Engineers Day Celebration Ideas - 2023

Engineers Day Celebration Ideas - 2023

September 15 is celebrated as 'Engineers Day' in India marking the birth day of Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvarayya. Sir Visvesvaraya was internationally known for his genius in harnessing water resources. Not many people would know that world over, there are different days celebrated as engineers day. Here are few ones to note (you may add):

• Nepal: NOSK celebrates it on 18 July every year

• Pakistan: 10 January, foundation of Pakistan Engineering Council

• Singapore: 22-24 July, organised by Institution of Engineers (IES)

• USA: The week of 22nd February, in memory of George Washington's Birthday

The purpose of this discussion, however is to gather various ideas from our fellow engineers on how to celebrate engineers day. If you have any innovative ideas, please share them. Here's a few to start with:-

1. Speech Competition or Debate competition with topics associated with responsibilities of engineers.
2. Essay competition for college students
3. General get together and felicitation of achievers and so on.

I look forward to innovative ideas from all of you.

Update: We have collected a few more innovative ideas for celebration of Engineers day in your college or office-

Engineers Day Celebration Ideas at Office or College

I’ve compiled a list of event ideas along with the event names to celebrate engineers day. Take a look and feel free to modify them for your own needs.

1. Event Name: "Innovation Fair" Summary: The Innovation Fair is like a science fair but specifically for engineering-related projects. Participants are given a certain period of time (maybe a couple of weeks) to develop a project or prototype that solves a specified problem or challenge. This could be anything from a new type of renewable energy device, a robot, an app, a civil engineering solution, etc. Then, on Engineers' Day, a fair is held where each participant or team presents their project to the attendees. Awards can be given in different categories, like "most innovative," "best design," or "most potential impact." This not only celebrates the creative and problem-solving aspects of engineering, but it also offers an opportunity for people to showcase their skills and share their ideas with others.

2. Event Name: "Engineer for a Day". Summary: This event is designed to give non-engineers in your office or college a chance to experience what it's like to be an engineer. Pair them up with engineers who can guide them through some basic engineering tasks related to their work. Alternatively, set up a series of engineering-related challenges or puzzles for them to solve. This can be a great way to foster better understanding and appreciation for what engineers do, and it can also provide a fun team-building experience.

3. Event Name: "Tech Talks and Panels" Summary: For this event, you could invite notable engineers from different fields to give talks or participate in panel discussions. These could be alumni from the college or professionals from local engineering firms. The topics could vary from their journey as engineers, their contributions to the field, insights about latest technology trends or simply discussing the challenges and rewards of being an engineer. This can be a great way to inspire budding engineers and give everyone a chance to learn more about different aspects of engineering.

4. Event Name: "Virtual Reality Engineering Challenge" Summary: For this event, participants would use virtual reality (VR) technology to solve engineering problems. This could involve designing a machine, building a structure, or even simulating a repair on a virtual spaceship! Using VR can make the event exciting and high-tech, as well as open up new possibilities for problem-solving. It can be a competition with participants or teams presenting their solutions, and the best one, as judged by a panel, winning a prize. You would need to ensure access to VR technology and someone familiar with it to design the challenges.

5. Event Name: "The Sustainability Hackathon" Summary: With rising awareness about sustainability and the environmental impact of human activities, this event can tap into a highly relevant topic. In this Hackathon, participants would have to come up with engineering solutions to environmental problems. This could include creating sustainable energy solutions, reducing waste, or improving efficiency. Participants would work in teams to develop their solutions and then present them to a panel of judges. This can stimulate conversation about how engineering can help solve some of our most pressing environmental challenges.

6. Event Name: "Flash Engineering Challenge" Summary: This event would involve participants being given a surprise engineering challenge on the day of the event. They would be provided with a box of miscellaneous materials and a problem to solve. They would then have a set amount of time (for example, 1-2 hours) to come up with their solution using only the provided materials. The surprise element and the time pressure can make this a fun and exciting event, and it can also highlight the resourcefulness and quick thinking often required in engineering.

Let me know if you’d like more ideas for celebration.

Updated: List of Engineers Day Celebration Ideas and Activities

Event Name: "Build a Bridge".

Summary: Give kids and adults wooden sticks, glue, and string. Ask them to build a small bridge. The goal is to make a bridge that can hold the most weight. This is fun and shows how engineers solve problems.

Event Name: "Code a Story".

Summary: People can learn simple coding to make a story. They use computers to make characters move and talk. It's like making your own video game!

Event Name: "Egg Drop Challenge".

Summary: Give each team an egg, some straws, and tape. They have to make a case so the egg won't break when dropped from a height. This is a fun way to learn about design and materials.

"Robot Race".

Summary: Use simple robot kits to build a robot. Then, have a race to see whose robot can finish a track the fastest. This makes learning about robots fun!

"Engineering Bingo".

Summary: Make bingo cards with engineering terms or famous engineers. Play bingo and learn new words or facts. This is a fun way to learn.

"Guess the Gadget".

Summary: Show a tool or gadget that engineers use. Let people guess what it is and what it does. This is like a game and helps people learn about tools.

"Make a Windmill".

Summary: Use paper, straws, and pins to make a windmill. See whose windmill can spin the fastest in the wind. This helps learn about wind energy.

"Engineer’s Got Talent".

Summary: Let people show off their own projects. It's like a talent show but for engineering things. Everyone gets to see cool ideas!

I hope you like these new ideas! Feel free to use them.

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    Here are some from top of my head :
    • Gaming contests (Engineers love this)
    • Quizzes
    • Working in teams to create a crazy innovative design for a project(one project each team).
    • Watching movies and sleeping (that's what we engineers do on holidays 😛 , I kid of course)
    • Some kind of challenge hunt ( Challenge to be given to different teams, who can finish first).
    😀 😀 Or a friendly get together on evening snacks 😉
  • DivyaSep
    DivyaSep
    An Exhibition for Young Students with various contests and presentations which will help them to know-
    What is Engineering?
    What are the different fields?
    How to choose their field of interest?
    What they should do once they join engineering? etc

So that our Future Engineers can come to this field for their own interest, can choose what they really want to do and never choose it because of parents /others force.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    rahul69
    • Gaming contests (Engineers love this)
    • Quizzes
    Roger that! I'm guessing we'd do something online on CrazyEngineers day. Just for the records sake, we celebrate 'CrazyEngineers Day' on 26 November, the day on which CrazyEngineers was born in 2005. 😀
  • John Brandon
    John Brandon
    Hello All

This is my first post, I am new to this site. I work for an electric utility, and every year we have Engineering Day. I am on the planning committee for 2016, and we are exploring E- Day themes, discussion and presentation topics, and games. Currently, I'm a distribution engineer, and I did not want the topics that I suggest to present to relate purely to grid engineering. I gladly welcome any suggestions on the above items I have mentioned, it would be greatly appreciated!!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    So, we are just a day away from Engineers Day celebration and we're thrilled to make some of our largest announcements. We are working round the clock to ensure a smooth launch and want all our engineering community to join us in the celebrations.

Is any one of you celebrating engineers day at your current institution - office or college? Do share your celebration ideas and what things you have planned. We really look forward to hearing your fun Engineers Day ideas. Do share them with us below.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

I think a surprise quiz competition would be an epic idea to celebrate engineers day. You could form teams in your class or office, and then ask various questions about Engineers Day celebrations, about major engineering projects in India and abroad, about life and times of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan etc.

Another simple way to celebrate would be to ask participants to talk a bit about the funniest incidences in their lives as a professional engineer or an engineering student.

Or an innovative - writing short messages competition to celebrate engineers day. One more thing to do is to organise a tree-plantation drive in your college or office campus. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

MV would have just gone out and did some engineering.

Taking off on what #-Link-Snipped-# said, I feel that members should come out with some engineering work that didn’t come out in the way expected and tell what the analysis was and how the issue was resolved.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# sir, that'd be seriously awesome. Perhaps, people could talk about the innovative side projects they're working (if they are, at all). 

• Zeba Sajjade
    Zeba Sajjade

Technical poster compition 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - could you tell us a bit more about the technical poster competition? We had one when I was in college. 

All the participating students were asked to pick up a topic related to any engineering branch of their choice (electrical engineers could choose to make a post on Civil engineering, if they preferred). Then after the topic was confirmed by the professor, we were given a total of 3 hours to complete the poster.

We worked in teams of 6-8 students each to complete the poster in given time. It was quite fun and we explored lot of interesting ideas.

Our poster was about future of electrical engineering in the era of Internet. We had imagined electrical engineers collaborating from different parts of the world to solve problems in real-time. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

These days due to global warming we are not left with an option and we have to get our rooms fitted with air conditioners. It has been several years that...
Guys, I have some trouble in finding a certification course in Networked video transmission If anyone has by any chance idea of any such courses pls share in this thread?...
Today our CEan @Gurjeet Singh and @Nayan Goenka celebrating their Birthday. Wish you many many happy returns of the day.
OPPO India has launched a new smartphone called the OPPO R5s that features Android 4.4 KitKat OS layered with the company's own interface design called ColorOS 2.0.0i . Running atop...
What does 304,304L,316,316L indicates in SS304 and SS316 ?