Engineers create 1/100th of an inch wide micro-robotic tentacles

Imagine a swarm of ant-robots carrying strands of threads to build a nest. That could become a reality with the research presented by a team of engineers from Iowa State University. The engineers have developed 8 mm long micro-robotic tentacles that can aid tiny robots in gripping & handling delicate objects. The tentacles are essentially microtubes (created using a new production technique) that wrap around very gently around an object. Made out of a soft rubbery material called transparent elastomer (PDMS), the tube had one end sealed and air was pumped in and out of it. The air pressure created a circular bend on the micro tube's wall. Moreover, a small lump of PDMS was added to the tube's base to amplify the bend and create a two-turn spiraling and coiling action.

Iowa-engineers-micro-robotic-tentacles
A micro-tentacle spirals around an ant.​

Such spiraling tentacles are capable of mimicing the action of squeezing an objects found in nature. At centimeter-scale, there's a multi-turn spiraling motion, whereas at the millimeter and sub-millimeter scales, they could bend only up to a single turn.

The applications of such a technology can be found in the medical field as the micro-robotic tentacles can be inserted into a body without damaging tissues or even tiny blood vessels.

Source: Iowa State engineers develop micro-tentacles so tiny robots can handle delicate objects • News Service • Iowa State University

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Protecting the world's largest online social network from malware is the top priority of the security engineers at Facebook. The job involves removing all the malicious links; the ones that...
I am not good in coding. but I want to do android programming. how I will be able to do that?
Quote: Alankar Jain recently graduated with a Dual Degree from the Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Bombay. He’s been involved in various activities during his time in the institute, and...
Hai, I am new here. Currently i am working in windows networking side and having 2 years of experience. I have completed engineering in computer science. Last one or two...
Every once in a while, there's a smartphone that hopes to become the best in class by offering specs that are a notch higher in value for a certain segment...