Engineers Assemble! How Sci-Fi Led Me to STEM

Engineers are an aging lot. People prefer more lucrative careers.
Quote:
Growing up I wanted to be Peter Parker. From his sense of responsibility to his sarcastic wit, I wanted to be just like him. Spider-Man (aka Peter Parker), in the comic books, was also a scientist. He was a biophysics major in college and invented many of his own web shooters, which allowed him to swing across skyscrapers.

And while Peter Parker was my personal hero, “Engineers Assemble!” comes from another superhero: Captain America shouts this phrase to rally the Avengers. I’m using it here to illustrate how science fiction and superheroes drew me to the world of science and to ultimately become an engineer. Today, the engineering work force is experiencing a drought of young engineers. The average engineer’s age is 51 and the industry is facing a dearth of up-and-comers to replace them.
Endquote
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: Computer-aided design (CAD) is an essential tool for modern engineers who work in a variety of professional fields. As companies head toward cloud-based computing solutions and the Internet of...
Based out of Gurgaon, India 'iYogi' a remote technical support company has recently ventured into the world of IoT by launching its own enterprise grade platform based on Microsoft Azure....
This year is likely to see an interesting fight: Xiaomi Mi5 Vs. OnePlus 2. Both these Chinese companies are known to offer killer hardware and smashing software, for an attractive...
Xiaomi is all geared up about the launch of its power banks - 16000 mAh and 5000 mAh. To promote these mobile accessories, the company has announced a new competition...
VITEEE 2015 Counselling Phase 1 for ranks 1 to 20,000 concluded on May 16, 2015 with Computer Science and Engineering emerging as the most sought after branch at Vellore campus...