engineering is an art or not?

To day an engineering become very extrem and popular.So what you think engineering an art or not?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Oh well, very good topic !

I personally believe engineering is an art. It's about creativity backed by systematic approach. Had it not been an art, we'd not have Burj Dubai or Eiffel Tower ๐Ÿ˜€

What say?
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    Thats true biggie,engineering is definitely an art!
  • cowboy
    cowboy
    The_Big_K
    I personally believe engineering is an art. It's about creativity backed by systematic approach. Had it not been an art, we'd not have Burj Dubai or Eiffel Tower ๐Ÿ˜€
    What say?
    big k thanks for appreciate me for this topic.I also think without engineering we can not make wonder of world. India's jantar manter great example of mathematics and engineering. Again thanks.
  • gohm
    gohm
    It is a science. Engineering is about systematic problem solving. Art is about emotion. Many items built via engineers can look artistic though it also usually involves a design team.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I agree with gohm. Engineering is a science. Art defies logic, science does not. Engineering is in one of the sciences where the level of logic you have defines your competency.

So the feats like Burj Dubai, et al have been envisioned on paper by an artist, but constructed by engineers.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Art defies logic
    More light on this please. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    I agree with Gohm too. Engineering is a science, the work put into a project is systematic, defined by rules of physics. However, the finished product may be viewed by different people in different ways, such as the Eiffel tower. People may consider that art, but the process itself is purely science. I'll add that even if someone is creative, they are still bound in their designs by the rules of physics. =)
  • Hussanal Faroke
    Hussanal Faroke
    In my openion engineering is not an art, soul of engineering is knowledge. or it is science. creative mind and right thinkings make it better!!! but it is not an art!!!!!!!!!
  • Milan25
    Milan25
    Engineering is a science which make the art,so i think its combination of art and science.
  • safwan
    safwan
    Hi, cEans
    For a subject to become art it should have following features.

Existence of theoretical Knowledge.
    Personalized application
    Based on practice and creativity.

cEans. now compare the subject of engineering with followig three points.
    (Note: above features are given in my business studies book to compare Management as an art.)

cEans , now you compare and post your view then i ll post my view.
    (as i am little busy)
  • safwan
    safwan
    gUESS CeAN.??
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I think the 'art' we are talking about here mainly relates to emotion, expressive and aesthetic values rather than 'creativity'. The latter can also mean finding unique solutions to engineering problems, so its better to be distinct to avoid ambiguous discussions.

Engineering can probably be a tool or medium to be expressive or create works of 'art'. However, one cannot use 'art' and its associated values to solve engineering problems.
  • safwan
    safwan
    @ ash you are right .
  • swapnakumar
    swapnakumar
    Engineering is both art as well as a science with scientific concepts you design the logic with artistic mind you create the magic
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    [youtube]oObrV0qDvGE[/youtube]

Couldn't help posting this one ๐Ÿ˜
  • rajesh_s
    rajesh_s
    I truly believe engineering is an ART ....
    take an example of building an aeroplane. for building an aeroplane involves engineers from aeronautical,mechanical, electronical, computer science . after the involvment of all these engineers we get a design ,an art...
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Engineering is not an art but a way to express an art. We cannot solve the problems artistically but yes engineering is common sense that is all what I feel. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • jassry
    jassry
    I really did got confused when this question pops up in our exam. I've answered that engineering is both a science and an art. But, the right answer (they say) is that engineering is an art.. sorry to me..lol.
    I did answer it is both a science and an art because I guess the two (science and art) worked out hand in hand to create great engineering works. It is science because of the knowledge, facts, theories, and others. But also, it is art because of creativity.
    It is true that science beholds everything about the engineering field but we cannot deny that art still take its place as an inevitable part of any engineering design. Yes, we always abide by the standard rules but we also see to it that our work is perfectly designed not only to suit it's designed function but also to attract or fascinate the eyes of those who will be seeing them.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K

I personally believe engineering is an art. It's about creativity backed by systematic approach. Had it not been an art, we'd not have Burj Dubai or Eiffel Tower ๐Ÿ˜€ What say?
    I have some reservations about Eiffel Tower. This book: 'Truth and Beauty' by Nobel Laureate Prof.S.Chandrasekhar says it all so well:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Bioramani
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Sorry for bumping an old thread. But this thread got quite popular.
    What do our new CEans think about this debate?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    My views in simple words:
    Engineers: Make things happen
    Artist: imaging things could be possible

Some best example of Engineers+Artist are
    Millau Viaductbridge, Effile Tower, Tajmahal, Burj Khalifa, Windows 7,MAC/ iOS,Lamborghini Revent%C3%B3N
    etc.... and Samsung Galaxy S2๐Ÿ˜.
    Its quite possible that if a person can make things happen, that person also can imaging great things too.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

WHERE TO SEARCH FOR THE RESULTS IN THE WEB ??? wOULD ANYONE HELP ME...........
Hiiiiii.,..... Hello everyone...Now I am persuing my B tech (Computer Science) 3rd year.. ๐Ÿ˜› And In 4-1, I have a mini project...There are so many project ideas in this thread..But...
Hi.... Its very sad to say My sir is not explaning DBMS clearly and neatly. ๐Ÿ˜” ๐Ÿ˜” ๐Ÿ˜” .I think it is a important subject for CS/IT students...Can anyone suggest...
Where should i get the letest project information?๐Ÿ˜•
please send link for downloading best book for bsnl JTO EXAM preparation