Energy Poverty

Whenever we talked about poverty the thing that strikes in ours mind is poorness, a mother with hungry three or four children, slum areas etc. Of course this poverty is also a very serious problem. Apart from this the world is also facing one more poverty and that is “Energy Poverty”. If we talk about the global population than 20% i.e. 1.2 billion (approximate Indian population) people has no proper access of energy source. Millions of people are dying due to smoke that coming from the kitchen because they are using woods and cow bricks. You won’t believe the smoke that coming from these bricks and wood is equivalent to two cigarettes smoke per hour per house.

Now talk about India…Indian 40% population has no proper access of energy source, more than 45% population is using wood, cow bricks, etc. in the kitchen and of course the dying rate due to smoke that’s coming out from the kitchen is high rather.

This is one side of the energy poverty….it’s also not like that rest population have sufficient energy source. In reality each day we are facing energy shortage.

Now let’s talk about the solution for this energy crisis. In simple word….increase the energy production, right but we can’t and I am not gonna talk about that part, why?????

There is two solutions that’s most effective 1) Renewable energy 2) Energy saving.

Renewable energy sources are very effective and our country is also slowly making a strong place for renewable energy sources. India is in 5th place of energy generation by the wind energy in all over world. But establishment of these energy sources required high investments, time etc.

The second solution is energy saving…..and we all know saving of energy is always better than generation of energy. The saving of energy also doesn’t require large investment, big organization, large people group and those entire things that required for energy generation. This simply needs our care, activeness; small time and emotion that’s always force us to stop the waste of energy. According to “Energy Statics India” each year more than 30% of electricity is wasted i.e. we are losing more than 1/4th of electricity without any use. India’s total electricity consumption is 166561 MW (31/09/2010) in that 30% is wasted i.e. 49968.3 MW electricity is wasting without use and you know the worst part of…. for generating this waste electricity you need more than 50000 cr. Indian money. So we are wasting that much huge amount of money per year. This calculation is based on Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) Government of India 2010.

Being an engineer we always have the virtue to learn something new….that should in favors of ours society or environments. The fig. that you are seeing is reality we need to care about this. We all can be a part of this solution at ours individual level. This is not the situation of single college or hostel, this problem you can find all over world.

And last but not least whenever u see energy is getting wasted….show your careness and stop it.

Save Electricity = Save Life

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Central Japan Railway Company has informed the public that its magnetic levitation bullet train has broken the world record for the fastest train. The prototype train with 29 technicians...
Google's Project Loon, as you may already know, is an ambitious project to deliver the Internet around the world using tens of thousands of balloons floating in the sky. According...
Hi CEians..!! What type of questions can i expect in IBM technical associate's online assessment test??
best way of selecting options
Drones have become an integral part of any defence establishment. Whether it’s for surveillance or for warfare, armed forces across the world are spending tons of money developing drones that...